“Great Place to Stay!”

Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Have now stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott in Newark, DE four times, and each time has been a good experience. The staff is welcoming, the lobby calming, and the room comfortable and more important, clean! Add to the above their VIP (Very Important Parent) program, and it can't be beat! As the parent of a Freshman at UD, we plan to stay here any time we visit the college over the next four years.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Michelle, thanks for sharing your comments about our hotel and our Very Important Parents program, and welcome to the University of Delaware! We are honored to host your family as you visit your student and the campus of the University of Delaware!

Thanks and go Blue Hens!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Lovely hotel, lovely friendly staff (particularly the barman who is a true professional). Rooms are big, modern and clean. A short walk from Newark main street so you can go out for a beer and a meal and not worry about driving.

The only thing I can say that's bad about it is significant to the business traveller. They used to have a breakfast buffet. It was very good. You came in, got what you want, and were out in less than 15mins to go to your meetings. They have now replaced it with some kind of pay at the counter starbucks coffee shop thing where if you want a proper breakfast you have to order it and wait. Additionally, everyone is having breakfast at the same time, so you queue up and wait before you can even place an order.

I don't know about you, business guys and ladies of the world, but I don't have 30-40mins to spend on breakfast when I am on a business trip. It doesn't work for me. For this reason, I stay elsewhere nowadays. I hope they fix it and I'll come back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Thanks for your business and for taking the time to comment on our hotel and food service. Our Courtyard Brand standard is the Bistro and we no longer have our breakfast buffet mid-week. I am sorry you had a delay in your service and I assure you our goal is to provide prompt, polite, and professional service at all times and I hope you give us a chance to regain your full confidence. Thanks for your comments on Ed, our head barman, he is an exceptional guest contact leader!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Checked into a double queen room which was very spacious, clean & quite. The front desk reps were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located on the Univ of Delaware campus. The Biestro's breakfasts were delicious & the chef more than helpful and accomadating. We had a wonderful time at this facility!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Car, thanks for taking the time to comment on our hotel and services. We were honored to host the wedding here this weekend and I am pleased that all aspects of your stay were pleasant!

We look forward to seeing you again soon and as always, safe travels!

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

This hotel has got it down! What a great friendly clean experience. I wish I could stay hate more often. On the UD Campus. Losts of things walkable from here too. Crab cakes are NOT on the menu, but they are AMAZING. I was skeptical too.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for most gracious comments about your recent visit to the Courtyard Newark at the University of Delaware. We are proud of our hotel and we share your comments with our staff. And I agree on the crab cakes

Hope your travels bring you back soon and often!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

My sister and I stayed here for one overnight on our way through Delaware. I was surprised at how large the hotel room was. We had a double queen room booked through hotels.com. The room was exceptionally clean. I have to say I've never stayed in another hotel room that was this clean and neat! The mini fridge did not stick out into the room, as other reviewers had in their rooms. The complimentary toiletries smelled so good and were better than the standard found in other hotels. The beds were comfortable, although I didn't like the small, square pillows.
We had a small issue with the lamps and someone was sent up immediately to fix the problem. All of the staff we dealt with were very friendly and professional. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that we heard a lot of noise all through the night (voices, slamming doors, etc) but this is to be expected in a college town during drop off weekends. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 310 - very very clean and nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent visit the Courtyard Newark at the University of Delaware. Your most caring comments are valuable to our future guests, as they choose their hotel in Newark and to our staff, as we work to continuously work to improve our product and service. We will share your comments with our team today at our daily stand up meeting. I agree about the pillows and they are due to upgraded to full size in the next three weeks.

thanks and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

Here on biz - check-in was quick and seamless. Room was large, clean, well-appointed. Staff was quite friendly and helpful. Not too far from the "main-drag". After returning from dinner got a late night drink and dessert to take back to my room. Highly recommend the apple crisp w/ ice cream. Work area in room is large and allows you to spread out and get stuff done... Rain this morning so I did my workout in a nice fitness center. Will gladly stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Jon, thanks for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at our hotel. We all appreciate your business and hope we have the opportunity again soon to see you here. I will share your fine comments with our team, and please have safe travels!

Bill Sullivan, Managing Director

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This is the "official" hotel of the Univ of Delaware. (that also makes it somewhat pricey - there are not a lot of really good hotels close by the University) Hotel is well appointed and well kept. About fifteen minute walk to the main shopping/restaurant area and tehy offer shuttle service .Good location if you are doing something at the university, can be a pain for others. To get out of the parking lot, you must take a circular route through University propriety, high rise dorms, etc. When something is going on at the school, What a mess to get around!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Frank, thanks for taking the time to comment on our hotel, we appreciate your comments and business. I think you ran into some re-routing in our parking lot as we re-sealed it, so I am sorry that you had to take the "longer way" out. That work is all done and we look forward to your next visit the Newark and the University of Delaware. Thanks and enjoy the summer season!