“Expect more for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware

Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Seattle, Washington
“Expect more for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a recent conference. The hotel is clean and well appointed. The front desk staff was friendly. The room was comfortable and very clean. The location though "on campus" is on the far fringes of campus, it is a good 15 min walk to the main drag or the heart of campus. The pool was warm and the hot tub hot.

Two things that keep it from getting a better rating from me:
- the heat wasn't on in the rooms. The University owns the building and therefore dictates when the heat gets turned on. There is no advanced notice of this, so I spent time playing with the theromstat in the room, that did nothing. I would have liked up-front notice when I checked in along with an offer of space heaters or blankets (both of which they offered once I complained).
- the staff didn't know how to split the bill between me and my "roommate" for the conference. It took them about 30 minutes when I was checking out to get the bill right. They did offer me a snack while I waited, and were really polite about it, but it still was something that should have been straight forward.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us for your conference. I apologize for the issue with the heat and billing, both are unacceptable and not our standard. Our heat issue was a temporary one that impacted some rooms and was corrected on Sunday. I am sorry this impacted you and your roommate.

I hope we get a chance in the future to regain your full confidence in our hotel and that your meeting again comes to Newark and the University of Delaware!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Northport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Marriott Courtyard at University of Delaware when we visited our grandchildren who attend UDEL. The hotel is right on campus, owned by UDEL and the university's students intern there. The front desk staff was courteous and friendly and gave us directions and campus maps. We opted for a King room. The room was large and had a couch and desk. It was immaculate which is always important to me. The mattress and pillows were very comfortable. We loved the down blanket which was thin, lightweight and warm. The bathroom was ample and had another feature that I liked. It had room on the side of the sink to put your makeup and bathroom accessories. The water was always hot. If I could suggest one thing to add to the bathroom it would be a wall swivel make up magnifying mirror. Many of the guests are parents and grandparents of the students whose eyesight is not so good and who would appreciate this touch. We did not eat in the small restaurant which I understand is very good because our grandkids had made reservations elsewhere. They do not have a complimentary breakfast as many of the hotels do nowadays. All in all we had a very pleasant stay here and we would not hesitate to come back here on our next trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thanks for your very kind comments about our hotel and we pleased that you made us your base for visit to the University of Delaware. As the campus hotel, we always welcome families, guests and prospective students to the hotel, and we are pleased that our staff helped you with maps and directions. I will note your comment on the room mirror and see if we can incorporate that into our upcoming guest room renovation. (to start Nov and over by end of Feb 2014). Our brand does not offer free breakfast, but next time you come, ask for the “stay with breakfast” rate that will give you an excellent value on breakfast.

Thanks and please come again soon, and meanwhile, safe travels!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

The place looked great! The service staff was good! The only problem was that it was below 60 degrees in my room and the heat was not working! It was October 26 and 42 degrees outside And NO HEAT!!! According to the hotel the heat was controlled by the university? Really??? They did supply a heater that didn't warm the room because of its miniature size. I never received the blankets I was promised either!!! I would suggest a better policy regarding the heat , in most places heat is available after October 15th. I had a horrible night and an aggravated medical condition because off the cold!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your note about your recent stay with us and I apologize for the issue with the guest room temperature, that is clearly unacceptable and not our standard. I hope you can give us a chance to regain your full confidence in our hotel and please contact me, Bill Sullivan, General Manager for your next visit to Newark and our Hotel.

thanks so much for taking the time to share this.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

Visited my younger sister at university of delaware and stayed at the Courtyard Marriott by recommendation of my parents. It was the perfect place to stay for this trip. Due to a late flight, we checked in close to midnight and the man at the front desk was so kind even though it was so late! The rooms are updated and nice, ours had a balcony which was nice to open as the weather was perfect that weekend. The lobby is very nice too with many places to sit and gather withe friends. Did not eat there but breakfast looked good. The hotel is also a very short walk to Main Street. I am sure we will be staying here many times over the next four years and I look forward to going back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thanks for your very kind comments about our hotel and we welcome your family to the University of Delaware and our hotel. We hope we can be your "Newark Home" while your family member attends the University of Delaware. We are on campus and we agree with you about our great location for access to Newark Main Street, with over 100 shops and restaurants.

thanks so much
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was in town for a wedding and really enjoyed my stay here. Free parking and walking distance to main st. Very clean and comfortable room. Starbucks in the lobby which is always a plus. I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel. We are pleased that your wedding event choose our hotel for their special event, and hope all had a pleasant stay. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Newark, thanks
Gaithersburg MD USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We checked in at approximately 9:00pm, looked at some TV and went to bed. We woke up at approximately 8:00am. When I looked down at the floor, I saw two bugs. They looked a little like ants but much bigger. One ran under the rug. I slammed the other with my shoe. It was still moving after a good hit, so I did it again. Ten minutes later I noticed it was still moving, so I hit it a third time. They must be wearing helmets, but this whack did the trick. I then opened the curtains. The windows were absolutely filthy.If you looked out the window from a distance, it appeared to be raining, but it wasn't. A little while later I saw another bug on the floor, or maybe it was the one I saw previously. I have stayed at Marriott properties throughout the US and Europe. I willl stay at them again. This includes Marriotts, Courtyards and the other Marriott brands. I willl never set fooot in the Newark, Delaware Couryard again.

Room Tip: Try another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your comments on our hotel and I assure you that we take all feedback very seriously. Our staff will fully inspect the room that you stayed in and insure that any issues are fully corrected. We hope we have the opportunity in the near future to win you back as a valued guest.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed two nights while on a business trip. It's a very quiet, clean, and comfortable hotel. The staff is friendly and efficient. They have changed the way they handle breakfast since my stay there a year ago when we enjoyed a nice breakfast buffet. Now they have a small bistro where you order at the counter and then they bring your food to your table. Overall, a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Sincere thanks for your very positive comments about our hotel and staff. We are working hard to keep our Courtyard as one of the best in the US, and thanks to guests like you are doing well.

we hope to see you again soon in Newark!