“Superb hotel...superb stay. ”

Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I only stayed for one night but was delighted by my experience. My room was great with a super comfy bed. The highlight was the bistro food. Did you know they have an award winning executive chef? Me neither but when I ordered dinner, the bistro staff member told me about the world class crab cakes. I thought "at the Courtyard?" So I tried them and they were stupendous (as a Marylander I can say it). Most places overuse filler, breadcrumbs, and fishy parts of the crab for their cakes. His was a mustard/crab cake concoction that was one of the best I have eaten. There was a fire alarm that caused chaos around 830am in the morning. The hotel decided to give complimentary food and coffee to its guests for the interruption. Classy place that treats you as a true guest! FYI though please fix the guests computer printers though. Keep up the excellence.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Anthony, thanks for your business and taking the time to comment on our hotel and our great new beds. We are so pleased that you had a great stay, and you will be pleased to know we replaced both of the lobby business center printers, and I am sorry for the inconvenience. Glad you enjoyed Chef Mark's Best of Delaware Crab Cakes as well as our other great food items from our Bistro. And glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast after a smoke detector activated during that morning. Good news is that no fire was present and all was safe.

We hope to see you again soon as you visit Newark, and thanks!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This was our first time at the University of Delaware. We were here for a cheerleading competition at the Bob Carpenter Center. Decided to stay the night instead of driving back home because it was a late end time. The hotel was minutes from the venue in a residential area. The hotel was still on campus. Easy access to everything. The hotel was nice and very comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: I always get on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Karen, thanks for passing along your comments about your most recent visit to Newark, and we honored that you selected out hotel for your home base for the competition. We hope you did well and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Thanks Bill Sullivan , Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is not the Four Seasons but it is perfect for visiting your student at UD. Plenty of parking and you can walk to campus. Rooms nicely equipped, staff very nice and it appeared to be quite clean. Reasonable price and food options if you want them. I would stay here again without reservation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Fred and Family, thanks for sharing your comments on the Hotel and it was a pleasure to be of service. We hope to see you many times at the hotel and the University of Delaware. Safe travels!

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The staff went above and beyond to answer all my questions about the area and transportation. The hotel was clean and spacious. Breakfast was tasty and reasonably priced. It was everything that I wanted.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel and staff. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your staff and we look forward to your next visit to Newark and the University of Delaware. thanks

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have stayed at the Courtyard UD several times on business, however, I will not stay again. When I travel for business (which is quite frequently), I expect to receive excellent service at the hotel. Whereas, the Courtyard UD is, typically, very friendly and accommodating, I feel I needed to share my last experience with the Trip Advisor readers.

During January, there was a terrible cold front which hit the region. Unfortunately, the hotel's heating system had to be supplemented by an external boiler room, powered by the University. There were certain rooms which didn't have heat. I had one of them. The hotel was fully-booked and I didn't want to change hotels, therefore, I toughed it out. The front desk did offer me a hotel change and a dinner in the restaurant, the latter of which I accepted. However, I was also offered enough Marriott points to account for one night's stay free (~20,000 points). The gentleman at the front desk told me I would have it in my account, within 48 hours. It never happened. I have called the management of the hotel on 4 occasions, left messages, and not ONE call was returned. One time I called, the person who answered said that the manager knew about the points offer and was "getting it done, today". Two months later.... nothing.

I expect integrity when I deal with a service-oriented organization, such as the Marriott. This hotel has missed the mark, badly. I am more frustrated, given the amount of business I (and my company) gives them. Such a shame, because I used to really like this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thanks for the note, and we apologize for the delay in responding to the commitment to the guest, I have already been in contact with this guest and have resolved the open matter, and look forward to greeting this valued guest for his next visit to Newark!

Thanks Bill Sullivan, Hotel GM

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Always a nice stay here. Rooms are clean, staff is extra friendly! Would totally recommend!! Watched the Olympics on the tv in the bar area. Under 21 you're not allowed to even sit at the bar, a State law apparently...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thanks for taking the time to rate our hotel on Trip Advisor, and thanks for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to Newark Delaware. Our recently renovated hotel is a great location for the University of Delaware Campus and the Newark Main Streets shops and restaurants.

Glad you got to see the Winter Olympics here and you are correct about laws in Delaware for the seating at the actual bar, that would be 21, but as you found there is plenty of comfortable seating in our spacious lobby!

Please come visit us again soon!

Bill Sullivan, Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Very nice room, comfortable bed & lots of great pillows! My son & I were too tired to head back out after our arrival so we grabbed a snack at the lobby bistro. It was excellent! So was the glass of wine the waitress recommended. So convenient to music department at the UD. If my son ends up a Blue Hen, I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thanks fo much for your note about your stay with us. We are so pleased that you selected our hotel for your visit to the University of Delaware. We hope you become a UD parent and stay with us!

thanks Bill Sullivan Hotel Managing Director