“Great Experience”

Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Have stayed at this Hotel several times-the Front Desk very efficient and polite-the rooms were very large and clean-the food service was reasonably priced and food and service of good quality-the crab cakes were the best I ever had-really enjoyed the University students who were working at the Hotel as part of their studies.

Room Tip: No spa-rooms at end of the hallway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Thanks for your most gracious comments about the hotel, our food and staff of hospitality professionals and hotel management students. We are proud of all of them and pleased to be the official hotel of the University of Delaware, located just off the fabulous Newark Main Street!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

First, let me say I travel a lot for business and for pleasure and I often go out of my way to stay at Marriott properties because I enjoy the consistency of experience - from clean rooms, to comfy beds, to friendly front desk staff.

This property was not up to my expectations - while the clean and comfy was there, I was not impressed with the staff or the amenities. Usually with the Courtyard brand there is breakfast included with the rate, and in fact as other reviewers have noted, I find it slightly deceptive the way the front desk staff says "Breakfast is served from 6 to 10"... which in most any other circumstances means it is complimentary. Like other guests have mentioned here, we also were forced to ask, "Is it included?" I think the management should re-think having the front desk even have this uncomfortable conversation with guests, and it creates the instant feeling at check in of disappointment.

We were also in need of the shuttle services on Saturday afternoon, and when we inquired we were told the shuttle only runs Monday to Friday (this is NOT stated on the website), but upon further probing (because we saw the shuttle parked out front) found out it had been booked for the evening by a wedding party.

Finally the miniature pool was also a disappointment - luckily the kids are young so they didn't mind the small and shallow pool, but it would not be much of a treat for grown-ups.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HockeyAndTravel
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Response, thanks for taking the time to comment on our property, and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. Courtyard as a brand does not include breakfast in normal rates, but we do offer special weekend rates that include breakfast in the rate and this has been quite popular with families. I am sorry that we did not more clearly communicate to you and your family. I agree on the shuttle and we will increase the coverage for weekends such as the one you were here for. I am sorry for the size of our pool, and while there is not much we can do about that, you comment is noted.

We hope we have a chance to have your family back in the future, and we can also recommend some local pools with larger facilities

thanks and safe travels.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Checking in --“Breakfast is from 6 to 10.”
“Does it come with the room?”
“Not at these prices!”
I bit my tongue. Had never paid this much for a room before.
Hotel adjoined by dorms, dining hall, conference hall, on well-kept grounds. Is a brisk 15-minute walk from main campus, fun if you follow the ant columns of students going to class.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thanks for visiting us on the UD campus and I apologize for our staff not making you aware of the weekend room rate programs that do include breakfast. These rates are most attractive for families visiting the Newark and UD areas.

thanks and hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This Courtyard sits at the bottom of a short hill below one of the U. of Delaware's meeting venues. The walk between the two takes about 3 minutes. The decor is nice, wi-fi is free, they employ some deaf workers (and post signs to let the guests know), staff are friendly and helpful with directions. The ground floor room with king size bed that I slept in was standard for a hotel like this. There were a few small niggles - only one waste basket in an inconvenient spot; no folding luggage rack on which to park a case. I ordered a standard scramble breakfast from the Bistro and was not very impressed - lots of egg but lackluster toast, an oversized thimble-full of mostly melon pieces as a fruit cup and no preserves. I'd say the Bistros' breakfast is just slightly better than the kind of free self-serve breakfast that is available at most mid-range hotels these days - but you pay for it. A suggestion for the management; it would be helpful to provide guests with driving directions back to the Interstate at least. Newark is a crowded college town with a distinct lack of direction signs.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thanks for the opportunity to be of service to you as you attended a conference at the University of Delaware Clayton Hall Conference Center. We appreciate all of your feedback, and I will take a look at the luggage racks in the rooms, and be sure our breakfast lives up to expectations. Thanks for your comment on our staff with hearing disabilities, we are so proud to have 3 staff members who are joy to work with and help us better serve our guests in many ways. I am sorry we did not make you aware that we have a full set of maps and directions to major attractions and roads at our front desk. We update these each year to be sure our directions are exact.

We look forward to seeing you at future conferences at the University of Delaware.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I only stayed for one night but was delighted by my experience. My room was great with a super comfy bed. The highlight was the bistro food. Did you know they have an award winning executive chef? Me neither but when I ordered dinner, the bistro staff member told me about the world class crab cakes. I thought "at the Courtyard?" So I tried them and they were stupendous (as a Marylander I can say it). Most places overuse filler, breadcrumbs, and fishy parts of the crab for their cakes. His was a mustard/crab cake concoction that was one of the best I have eaten. There was a fire alarm that caused chaos around 830am in the morning. The hotel decided to give complimentary food and coffee to its guests for the interruption. Classy place that treats you as a true guest! FYI though please fix the guests computer printers though. Keep up the excellence.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Anthony, thanks for your business and taking the time to comment on our hotel and our great new beds. We are so pleased that you had a great stay, and you will be pleased to know we replaced both of the lobby business center printers, and I am sorry for the inconvenience. Glad you enjoyed Chef Mark's Best of Delaware Crab Cakes as well as our other great food items from our Bistro. And glad you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast after a smoke detector activated during that morning. Good news is that no fire was present and all was safe.

We hope to see you again soon as you visit Newark, and thanks!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This was our first time at the University of Delaware. We were here for a cheerleading competition at the Bob Carpenter Center. Decided to stay the night instead of driving back home because it was a late end time. The hotel was minutes from the venue in a residential area. The hotel was still on campus. Easy access to everything. The hotel was nice and very comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: I always get on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Karen, thanks for passing along your comments about your most recent visit to Newark, and we honored that you selected out hotel for your home base for the competition. We hope you did well and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Thanks Bill Sullivan , Hotel General Manager

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This hotel is not the Four Seasons but it is perfect for visiting your student at UD. Plenty of parking and you can walk to campus. Rooms nicely equipped, staff very nice and it appeared to be quite clean. Reasonable price and food options if you want them. I would stay here again without reservation.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CourtyardNewarkatUD, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Fred and Family, thanks for sharing your comments on the Hotel and it was a pleasure to be of service. We hope to see you many times at the hotel and the University of Delaware. Safe travels!