“great basic place”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
eastern US
“great basic place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2009

I travel to this area for business a lot, but had not stayed at this hotel until a personal trip brought me to the area and I decided to stay at this Courtyard. From now on, when I travel to this area for business, I will be staying here.

The hotel does the basics, but it does them well. I ate at the little restaurant in the lobby, and normally I don't expect much in the hotel restaurants, but the food was actually great, and there was an extended menu to choose from. The staff was nice and helpful, especially the person at the restaurant, and the room was clean. Free parking and internet access. The streets in downtown Newark are a little confusing (lots of one-way streets), so be sure to print out the directions and bring them with you.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Fort Mill, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2009

I travel frequently and usually stay with hotels in the Marriott chain. Usually, my stays are not that notable. The Courtyards, Marriotts, Springhills are all very nice, but nothing to get excited about. This Courtyard by Marriott is the exception. I have never experienced a more helpful, genuinely friendly, interested staff. It wasn't just one person, every employee we encountered delivered excellent service. In addition to the service the hotel was one of the nicer Courtyards. Everything about this stay was perfect.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CollinsFactor
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Crabcakes were the best I have ever had...but everything was great! Fresh, perfectly cooked vegetables, beautiful presentation, mouthwatering appetizers, Bread was warm and fresh and everyone there was freindly. The head chef even came out to see if everything was to our satisfaction. It was and then some. We will go back just for the food and can;t wait to try their outdoor patio grill menu. Wonderful place. Highly recommned this restaurant and hotel.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Fayetteville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2009

I have stayed at this Marriott twice, and I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Newark. It might be a little more expensive--we paid $135 night with our AAA discount--but it is so clean and comfortable. The beds are really comfortable, and they are covered with clean duvets instead of a gross hotel comforter. The place is brand new and very clean. The ONLY negative is that the hotel did not offer a complimentary continental breakfast. When we went down to breakfast, we were told we had to pay for fruit or yogurt, items that are usually included at other hotels. This was a little odd since the price is not cheap. But, other than that, the hotel is new, the staff is very friendly (I think they are mostly UD students in hospitality and tourism), and we had a very relaxing, stress free stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2009

From Feb 09 to May 09 I have stayed at this Marriott for a total of 6 weeks. This is a great place. I am greeted by name whenever I walk through the lobby and that was after my first week.
A number of U Delaware students work there and they are expertly trained.
I am always satisfied by my room - it's large, comfortable and has a separate sink from a large tiled bathroom floor . Plenty of towels. Comfortable bed with lots of good pillows and 2 more pillows in a drawer. I asked for a microwave and it was there that afternoon.

Lobby is really really huge with lots of comfortable leather chairs and couches and an HD TV with free Wii. They don't have a sit-down bar, but you can sit with your drink in the lobby and relax. There are refrigerators in the lobby stocked with lots of drinks, sandwiches and salads. It's open 24 hr/day. Pick what you want and tell the desk clerk. This is the only hotel out of a hundred I have been to where I deliberately make a trip to the lobby.

Alas, no free breakfast but you tell the chef exactly what you want made while loading up your plate with free fruit, pastry, yogurt and more. It's $10.

Main St is a 5 minute drive. It's where the students hang out. Lot's of places catering to students and a few really nice places to eat.

Would I stay there again? I have a 3 week stay booked for June.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2008

After driving around Newark for an hour trying to find a hotel room that was not that expensive and did not stink to high heaven, we ran into the Courtyard on the U of D campus. We paid $135 for 2 queens on a Sunday night. Check-in was quick and once we were settled we went down to the restaurant in the hotel to eat. The food was amazing and the prices were fair, given it was a hotel restaurant. The rooms were large and clean, like every Courtyard I have ever been to. I would recommend the hotel and restaurant to anyone I know!

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank steve04386
Southeast USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2008

This courtyard is located ON the U-Del property, as such it can be a little tricky to find. The property is very well maintained, rooms are clean and up-to-date, breakfast is excellent. I wish they had a manager's reception though.

• Liked — New location
  • Disliked — They often have trainees that aren't familiar with the procedures of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Southeast_Traveller