“Very good hotel value. Clean, up-to-date and friendly staff.”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed in a 2-bedroom, 2-bath suite on a AAA-room rate during Spring Break. This hotel is not far from the University of Delaware campus and from downtown Newark, DE which has many eateries/stores thanks to the college students in the area. It's a little further from the main tourist attractions in the Wilmington-area, but my family decided the larger room size (we have a family of five with three teens) and indoor pool was a worthy tradeoff. Hotel was not as "busy" as the larger chains during our stay, which we definitely preferred.

Room was very well appointed and clean. (Hi-Def) LCD TVs in every room, 1 King Bed, 2 Queens, small kitchen, living room.

The hotel recently upgraded the gym to include a few Precor exercise machines, as well as free weights.

The pool was very clean and very clear. The pool employee was obsessed with keeping the water in very good condition for hotel guests (that's a GOOD THING).

The weekday evening manager's reception was enough to have for dinner and was among the best we have had at any Homewood Suites we have stayed at. Beer and wine (2-drink limit) were included.

The daily breakfast was a good assortment of hot and cold items and had enough that everyone found something to like.

The employees tending the evening reception and breakfast area really tried to make you happy (I thought a nice gesture in return was leaving a gratuity at each meal).

Overall, highly recommend this hotel. Definitely a very good hotel value.

Room Tip: Don't forget to use your AAA card when booking to get a better rate!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel was very nice! I stayed here for two nights- I love the suites, great for business travel (not just stuffed in one room). The breakfast in the morning was quite nice- everyone working there were friendly and helpful in whatever way. The location is pretty good- not that many restaurants around - but you are close to the highway. I would stay here again if I was in the area!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Just like any other hotel but not dirty, gross, or very bad. Soft water in shower makes for a slippery shower. Be certain to have breakfast before 10:00 p.m. because after that, the staff gets a little prickly. Toilet stopped up at around eleven at night and we called the staff and they came in about two minutes, and when we offered to plunge it ourselves but he insisted he do it which was nice. Also we were missing a blanket for the sofa bed at midnight and they came up immediately. An overall good hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This wasn't my first trip to Newark but it was my first stay in the Homewood Suites. I was very impressed by the staff from the front desk clerk to housekeeping to the general manager. Everyone I interacted with was friendly, courteous and definitely out to make my stay as pleasant and productive as possible. The room was spacious, well laid-out and very comfortable. I have recommended this hotel to my business associates as the best place to stay for our project work in Newark and I will look for Homewood Suites in my future travels.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Our party (3 adults and two kids) stayed overnight here on our way to visiting Philadelphia for the weekend. We had a very comfortable two-bedroom suite (king in one room, 2 queens in the other). The location is convenient to the highway and to the University of Delaware campus. You can't really walk to anything, but there is a TGIFridays right in the parking lot.

We arrived around 10 p.m., and appreciated that the indoor pool was open until midnight, as the kids and I got in a quick swim, which released some pent-up energy from the drive. Officially after 10 p.m. it's adults only, but we were the only ones there.

Good-sized flat-panel TVs in both bedrooms and in the sitting room area. There was a delay each time you changed channels which was a bit irritating.

The beds were quite comfortable. The shower was a little weak (the diverter was not 100% effective so some water continued to come out of the tub spout), but acceptable.

Breakfast was a perfectly acceptable, if not particularly special, buffet with waffles (make your own), scrambled eggs (one with meat, one without), bacon, sausage, fruit, yogurt, toast, etc.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
irene f, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark/Wilmington South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you for your feedback. It is comments like yours that help our Team achieve the quality service expected. I retrieved your room number from our reservation system so that our Maintenance Engineer could verify the bathroom shower system to ensure it is working properly. Our goal is to deliver highly-personalized exceptional service to each of our guests. I was pleased to read that you scored our property so well.

Again, thank you for selecting the Homewood Suites Newark, Delaware we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

My husband and I needed a comfortable place to stay in Newark, DE during the birth of our second grandson and hospitalization of our daughter. My husband had previously stayed at a Homewood Suites while traveling for business and recommended that we try to find one close to the hospital in Newark. This hotel was fabulous, it was clean, comfortable and the breakfast and managers receptions made it a great time saver. The staff went over and above to meet our every need so we had absolutely nothing to worry about but being with our family during this happy time. I highly recommend this hotel and we will stay there again when we visit.

Room Tip: The king suite was the perfect size for two people.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your feedback and Congratulations on the birth of your Grandson! It is comments like yours that help our Team achieve the quality service expected. Thank you for the favorable score.

Again, thank you for selecting the Homewood Suites Newark, Delaware and we hope that you continue to stay with us when visiting the Newark area.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I'm in the midst of a seven night stay between houses. Could not wait to post my thoughts. I was greeted by an extremely friendly and helpful front desk person. The hotel is perfect for a lengthy stay. There is free wine and beer in the evenings along with food that can pass for dinner. My one and only negative is that the food the first night, Chinese themed, tasted horrible. There is also a full hot breakfast. This is much better then the nighttime food. Eggs, bacon, waffles,etc. Our suite has two full size beds, a separate sitting room and kitchenette. Beds are very comfy and the fridge is great. There is a toaster oven, microwave and two burner stove. All of the staff is very friendly, but special props to Bobbie in the morning breakfast area.

• Stayed: November 2011

I apologize for the delayed response. I shared your response with the Team and we were all pleased to read your comments and appreciate your favorable score.

Thanks again for staying with us. We hope to see you again in the future.