“Best bang for your buck!”

Ramada Newark/Wilmington
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 15 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Ramada
Irene F, Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Reviewed 5 June 2014

his one was pretty ridiculous, folks. Be prepared for a long story.

We had the worst experience here, and we never even ended up staying. Thank goodness. We booked about a month ahead to stay during a large event being held nearby. The hotel was pretty much full. We anticipated it being crowded, but there was no organization.

When we arrived we were all exhausted and starving. We just wanted to get to our 2 rooms, shower, and go find food. We were greeted (well, not actually greeted) by probably the most unpleasant front desk employee I've ever come across. Now, I've worked customer service forever, and I try to be really sympathetic to how hard the job can be, but it was offensive. His face read how much he hated his job and he just appeared miserable. First he asked if we had booked for Friday (the day before). We had not. We told him we were only booked for overnight Saturday. He spent about 15 minutes on the computer not saying anything to us. By this time a line had formed behind us. He asked if it was just one room- we had booked 2. Apparently our reservation wasn't there, although we had a confirmation. Now, this wasn't necessarily his fault specifically. He was just so unpleasant it was almost unbearable. After about 25 minutes of standing at the front desk we finally get our keys, without a single apology. My boyfriend and I make it up to our room and we walk in and I see a bra hanging on a hook on the bathroom door. Then from in the bathroom a woman yells "did you just open that door?!" THE ROOM WAS ALREADY OCCUPIED! To make it even better, that was the SECOND time someone was given keys to their room. My boyfriend was mortified. What a massive invasion of privacy. So we book it downstairs after apologizing profusely to the woman and her friend. We then have to wait in line for a good 10 minutes to be seen again. The woman also comes down to talk to the front desk. Although she was angry, she was much more calm than I would have been in that situation. I would have been screaming! We tell him our room already had people in it. No apology, just annoyance that we were back at the desk. Lots of heavy sighing on his part. By this time the other couple we were traveling with are back too, their door won't even open. We once again get new keys. At this point I'm nervous to stay here. If he is giving people keys to already occupied rooms, how safe is it to leave our things in our room when we go out? Who knows how many people could walk in while we're gone?
My boyfriend and I get to our new room and notice the door is open. The dead bolt bar was keeping it cracked. That's strange. I open the door and see the window open with an industrial size fan next to it on full blast. The room smells horrible, mold mixed with cleaning products. I'm immediately like "I'm not staying here. This is disgusting."
I turn around to go back to the front desk. I tell him that this is ridiculous, our room was obviously flooded recently. He just looks at me and says "well that's the only room I have left." Again, no apology, just annoyance. I say we are not staying here, you need to fix this. He tells me that he can transfer us to a different hotel nearby. At this point everyone is so grumpy and exhausted we're about ready to just sleep in the car. We had been there for almost an hour!
We were transferred to the Quality Inn in Newark, not far from where we were. We had a little trouble getting there due to flooding, but as long as we were out of that place we didn't care.
Our room was refunded from the Ramada, and we were comped our night at the Quality Inn. When we finally made it to our new hotel, I wanted to cry. The woman at the front desk was SO nice, our rooms were wonderfully clean and the breakfast was nice.
Our hotel experience with Ramada was the WORST I have ever had. If I could give it zero stars, I would. We will never think of staying again.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Kenzie F

I apologize for the experience at our hotel. I have shared your review with all the staff members involved as to prevent this from happening in the future. I was happy to hear that he eventually fixed the problem.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tonja H
Irene F, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Reviewed 28 May 2014

1  Thank Troy B
Irene F, General Manager at Ramada Newark/Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2014

Reviewed 27 May 2014

1  Thank Tracy C

Reviewed 26 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I would remove the red/very worn end cover from the beds. They do not look like they are washed between guests. They look old and uninviting. This is my second stay at this hotel and I immediately took the red end cover off the bed and placed it on a chair.

Review collected in partnership with Ramada

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It is our guest feedback that helps us improve. I apologize that the red bed throw looked worn or dirty. We actually just recently purchased them. I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping Team so that they can make every effort in preventing this impression in the future. I hope this experience does not deter you from staying with us in the future. We hope you decide to visit us again.