“We love it here”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I take my clients here, my family here, my friends here. The food is excellent, perfectly made Tex-Mex, hot, fast, drinks are good as well. Prices are exceptional.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Been here twice while in Newark, once for dinner and once for lunch. Yes, it's a little loud. That's probably because the place is huge! If you're expecting typical Mexican food, you won't get it because, well, it's a Cajun Mexican restaurant. Food was amazing prices were great and the service was amazing. Definitely a great place to eat.
Make sure, if you're in a hurry, to go at off hours because it does get slammed.we went at 630 and waited twenty minutes, but that's to be expected anywhere that has great food!

1  Thank leabug85
Reviewed 12 November 2013

When my wife & I lived in DE this was one of our favorite places. Now, 10 years later, Eats hasn't lost a thing. We were in the area shopping & I saw the great reviews in TripAdvisor so we stopped in for lunch. At first, we were turned off by excessive salt on the nachos. I don't mean a little salty. It was over salted to the extreme. We sent them back and braced for our lunch. When it arrived, we were very happy with the taste. Service was good and s noted by a few people, it is somewhat loud. Nevertheless, we waddled out of there satisfied & with full tummies. Give it a try!

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My husband had to go here because of the huge "EAT" sign, so we decided to try it. The place was hopping on a Saturday night. We waited about 40 minutes for a table, which was fine with us since we were on a overnight getaway. The food was very good. I had a chicken burro with jambalaya and my husband had étouffée with chicken and chorizo. I have found that some burritos that have just chicken inside ends up with dry chicken. This chicken was moist and delicious. The burro was covered with enchilada sauce and melted cheese. The jambalaya had pieces of chicken and sausage. My husband's étouffée tasted delicious. He really enjoyed the dish. My only complaint is the noise level. It does have a bar, so there was a large number there to watch the college football. My husband has a hearing problem and wasn't wearing his hearing aids, so the noise level made it difficult to have a conversation. Despite that, we will definitely plan on visiting the area again and will got back to the Border Cafe again.

1  Thank alpw
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

Always a hit - really reasonable prices and great, flavorful food. The camptown shrimp are my favorite - spicy and great quality shrimp; this is an appetizer but I often get as my meal because I enjoy so much. The salads are awesome - really fresh and come with homemade dressing. I appreciate the unlimited chips and salsa as well, and the margaritas and sangria are great! True bargain - can't beat the quality for the price.