“very short sleep” 2 of 5 bubbles

Toronto
“very short sleep”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

REASON FOR MY STAY: Shopping trip
CHECK IN: we checked in very late, 2am, after driving 7 hours. the check in went smoothly, and the gentlemen at the from gave us 3pm checkout since we arrived so late. This was very nice. However when we did pull up to the hotel there were 2 police cars in front of the hotel.
ROOM: The hotel is older, and the room did smell a bit musty. Windows are big, however make the room feel like a warehouse as they were very dirty. Although the room was non smoking the room smelled like smoke. The free breakfast was uncooked eggs, fruit and toast. My boyfriend and I grabbed coffee and when to pack to leave.
CHECKOUT: we checked out before 10 am.
Other Comments: don’t expect anything good to surprise you. it is what it is.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

I travel about once a month to participate in some events I enjoy. Being a middle-class American I look for the best rates in relation to the distance from my event location (so I have seen my share of cheap lodging). This trip I had booked at another hotel as it was less expensive but it was further away and when my friend's plans changed and I had to travel alone I figured I would just stay closer and pay slightly more.

Traveling from several hours away I just checked in, unloaded my belongings and called it a night, too tired to care too much about what I was in for. Before entering the room though I noticed that the grounds were in need of some care as there was a LOT of litter scattered about and I was a bit perturbed that they had decided to give me (a single female traveling alone) a room next to a block of rowdy, loud, drinking men (needless to say I wasn't too comfortable with the set up but again, was too tired to really think about it).

Well, when I did take the time to look about the room BOY was I surprised! The bedding and towels were clean (that was apparent) and the bathroom amenties. That was about it. The carpet was grossly stained (I wouldn't even walk around with shoes on). The fridge had spilled juice or wine in it. The TV didn't work (thank God for laptops and at least they had wifi). The window and mirrors were disgustingly dirty. The blanket on the bed had cigarette burns in it. And when you had the fan on in the bathroom it would fill up with the smell of cigarettes (I was in a non smoking room and am rather sensitive to the smell).

Working in the hospitality industry myself, I know one should voice their concerns but by the time I discovered what I was staying in it as just awkwardly late, plus only staying 2 nights I didn't want to have to repack to move to another room (figured it wouldn't kill me to tough it out). But also working in hospitality I know that the conditions of the room were unacceptable. I started off as a maid; I would have been fired in a heart beat if I left the room looking that way. I was half tempted to go buy supplies and clean it myself.

Needless to say, out of all of the times that I have traveled (mostly alone) I was the most uncomfortable here. The only positives about it were that the front desk staff was pleasant enough and the location was convenient. But I learned my lesson, you definitely get what you pay for and next time I will be looking elsewhere. And I suggest others do as well.

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank semitraveler546
Minu P, Manager at Rodeway Inn-Newark/Wilmington, responded to this review, 25 August 2011
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to share a review about our hotel. I apologize for any inconveniences encountered during your stay. All claims against this property are taken seriously and will be further investigated. We have trained our housekeepers and hopefully this issue will not occur again. I hope you will give us another opportunity to stay again or at another one of our Americas Best Value Inn's located across the Country.

Regards,