“Stink Bugs /But Good Management”

Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 21 May 2012

The Staff was very pleasant .But the stink bugs were out of control, i had like 4 in the room. But the Hotel accommodated us and apologize for insects and gave me an my family an extra night stay.
I tell management truly can make or break a Hotel

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed for two nights and although there were no major problems, we weren't thrilled with the hotel. The room was very small compared to other Courtyard Inns, the internet is wired which is inconvenient at best, but when your computer does not have an ethernet port, you can't connect to the internet at all. A call to the front desk offered no apology or alternatives. The TV also went out one night, but a call to the front desk resulted in it coming back on in a few minutes. The TV was also off to the side, so you had to turn to watch it in bed, because it wasn't straight ahead. If you need to be in this location, the hotel is fine, but if you don't, I would look into other alternatives.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
jason_abbey, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry you were disappointed in our lack of wireless internet in the room. Since your stay we have installed wifi in all the rooms, as well as our pool area, courtyard and lobby area. Additionally, we added fiberoptic cables to increase the bandwidth of the hotel to assure our guests will have the speed they need. This installation was completed on May 19, 2012. Please contact me at jason.abbey@marriott.com if there is anything I can help you with in the future.
Jason

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Easy access to the highway and was in a good location for me. Staff was very pleasant and accommodating.

Top on my list is that it was very clean; bathrooms and sleeping area. . refrigerator in the room. Free internet..wired in the room ..wireless in the lobby...

A very good hotel for the price

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here in Novenber 2011 and was very impressed. Then I needed to stay here this past week for one night and my experience was totally different.
When I checked in I was not welcomed. I walked to the desk the woman said "name" I gave it to her she handed me the key and said "you should park around back that entrance is cloer to your room"
I know this is not coming across the way it happened but she was cold and had to inflection in her voice. Parking around back and using the rear door was a bit scary.
I probably will go back just because I want the Marriott points but I wish there was another hotel closeby.

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone. Request a room that is near the main entrance. Had to walk past men slee...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

I'm very sorry that you experienced such an unwarm welcome. We take great pride in our service and this is definitely not the first impression we want to give any of our guests. I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me directly at jason.abbey@marriott.com or by phone at 302-456-3800 ext. 601 so that I can better understand what happened and follow up with my staff.

Jason Abbey

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I stayed at this Courtyard at the beginning of 2012. It is a nice property with a newly-renovated lobby and Bistro Cafe as well as a pool and other amenities. My room was the smallest I have ever had at a Courtyard, but was quite nice. The Bistro is convenient for drinks, light dinner, and breakfast. Check-in and check-out are a breeze.

The only problem that I had was with the complimentary internet and TV in my room, which are provided by LodgeNet. The TV signal was terrible, and I could not get online. These rooms have complimentary wired internet, which I have used at other Courtyards.

When I went out to dinner, I told the front desk person about the TV, and she said that she would call LodgeNet. After I returned, there was no change in the TV reception--until I moved the TV! The internet connection was not working at all. Contacted the not very friendly front desk person, who finally did contact LodgeNet, which did a tech support call. I was able to connect that night, but not the next morning. Why advertise complimentary internet if you cannot fulfill that claim? The usual instruction card was missing as well.

I had breakfast as part of my room package, and it was terrific--and packed up for me to take along on my assignment. The staff at the bistro was very warm and welcoming.

I told the morning front desk person about my problem when I checked out, and she added points to my Marriott account, and also informed me that there will be in-room wireless soon. I hope so--I plan to return there in the next couple of months for business. I also hope the evening staff person gets an attitude adjustment, or another job where she does not have to be on the front line.

It's a very nice property and a terrific value.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed one night on the 3rd floor. Room is on the small side but had everything I needed. If I was staying more than a night or two or had someone else with me I would have requested a larger room. Is nice to check in to a hotel and be treated like a VIP--cudos to a great staff.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have balconies--you must request one.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We spent three nights here over the Columbus Day weekend while visiting our daughter and family in Wilmington. While the rooms are somewhat small, they are immaculate and most have balconies. I observed one of the housekeeping staff and she was meticulous in her cleaning tasks. The lobby has been recently renovated and is lovely---several types of seating arrangements with tv's, free Starbucks coffee, etc. The breakfasts were good and the staff is very cordial. The pool and fitness areas were very clean. We'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family