“Great Stay”

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Newark, New Jersey
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The staff is wonderful. Very pleasant and helpful. The facility was great as well . When I'm in the area I will always stay. Please keep doing what you do, The food was very tasty. I am planning a stay for spring break. See you soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah Y
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for taking time to give this great feedback. We appreciate your kind comments and look forward to you returning in the spring.

Best Regards,
Jason Abbey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The staff at this facility is the friendliest group of service providers I have experienced. I travel every week. This group appears to be enjoying the job they do.

I pay more to stay here as there is a competing hotel in the same parking lot. It's the service that makes the difference to me.

Room Tip: Call ahead and ask.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Don N
Thank you for your review and your kind words. We are very happy to have you staying with us.

Albany, New York
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

SUMMARY:Nice hotel cosmetically, crap lumpy pillows and tough mattress.

I travel to NJ from NC on reoccurring basis. I always stop in the christiana/newark area and sleep.

This time I decided to stay at the courtyard which is my favorite chain out of the bunch but I usually stay sparingly because of the price. I splurged and went for this hotel because I have never had a bad experience with courtyard.

The check in was painless, im a member of their rewards program so it was quick. The hotel is updated and everything was up to par... except the bed.

Im laying in the bed now and the pillows suck. They are lumpy and my head goes straight through them and two makes my head too high and hurts my neck. All four pillows are like this. I did not sleep well and my back hurts. The bed doesnt feel the same as the others I have had in other courtyard chains.

So I was hoping to enjoy my day but now im tired and my neck and back are sore from crappy pillows and mattress. I will address this with the staff before I leave and give them a chance to fix it.

The redroof inn is newly renovated nearby and is more comfortable to stay in for literally half the price of this place. I dont forsee myself staying here again at this location specifically.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I'm very sorry to hear that the pillows and bed weren't comfortable for you. As everyone has individual tastes of how firm or soft they like their bedding, we have four pillows on every bed, two foam and two feather, to try meet all our guests expectations. I hope you let our front desk know, as you mentioned you would, so that we could try to find pillows more to your liking.

Thank you for giving this feedback, as I will follow up with my housekeeping manager to ensure we have a variety of pillows in stock in case our guests need firmer or softer pillows than are on our beds. Please contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance. 302-456-3800.

Amherst, New York
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We recently stayed at this Marriott property for a family event (held elsewhere). Needed to stay in a handicapped room. Using the shower was an exercise in flood control!! Water everywhere. Poorly designed drainage system. The room needs updating. Making matters worse, the day of the party we left the room around 11:30 a.m. and returned around 11 p.m. to find it was not cleaned. A housekeeper had stopped by earlier in the morning but we were not ready to leave the room and posted the sign asking for privacy. We removed the sign when we left the room. Called the front desk person who did offer us a choice of bringing fresh sheets and towels or a change in rooms. We opted for the latter. The new room was fine for the most part but I cannot and do not understand why any hotel situates a bed less than a couple feet from the TV which is on a swivel next to the cabinet style closet. It's bizarre furniture placement!! Heating was too loud and pillows (at least for me) were much too soft. Also, the Bistro prices are way out of line. A Dunkin Donuts is a short distance from the hotel and much better priced. Overall we expect better from a Marriott brand.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear pollysci79,

Thank you for taking time to give your feedback about our hotel. I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations during your recent stay with our room layouts, housekeeping service times or our Bistro prices. Our goal is to have all our guests have an enjoyable stay, and for your stay we failed.

I will have our maintainance department look into the drains in our wheelchair accessible showers to ensure they are draining properly for our future guests. While our Bistro prices are a bit higher than Dunkin Donuts, we make all our food fresh in our kitchen and serve Starbucks coffee and specialty drinks exclusively.

In regards to the tv/closet layout, our hotel designers chose this in order to add a refrigerator and a counter for coffee, a coffee maker and other amenities by the vanity. I agree that it is not the most conducive layout for watching TV while laying in the king bed, but we are able to take that clutter away from the desk area and give our guests extra space at the desk and vanity. Also, the swiveling counter that our new flat screen tv's are placed on, also pull out from the desk.

Again, I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our hotel. If you would like to discuss your visit with me further, I would be happy to speak with you. I can be reached at the hotel at 302-456-3800.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is my third business trip staying here. The hotel is clean, near some restaurants, shopping and major highways. It is less than an hour away from Baltimore or Philadelphia, so if you want big city it is close.

Staff is friendly and very accommodating. That want to make you happy. Bistro is a little weak, but cold winter days, food is fine.

Room Tip: Get courtyard view kings and queens on the first floor is good.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thank you for your review and for being a repeat guest. We're happy to see you enjoyed your stay.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I always enjoy the Courtyard and have stayed here before. Staff were very friendly and helpful and we got a great rate as loyalty card holders. Had a light dinner in the bistro which was nice and had wine at good happy hour prices. Complimentary wifi was great. Enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy our Bistro restaurant. We hope to see you again soon.

Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 29 November 2013

The ladies at the front desk are extremely nice and welcoming. Beds are comfortable and rooms are a decent size; nicely decorated. Only complaint I have is that my room was very warm and could not get the air to kick on. Turned the thermometer as low as it could go to 65 degrees and no luck. Door to balcony also would not open. Other than that, nice stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy you had a positive experience. I'd be happy to look into the issues you had with the air conditioning and the balcony door if you send me an email to let me know which room you stayed in or even your name so i can look it up. jason.abbey@marriott.com.