“Satisfactory visit for a quick overnight”

Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I recently stayed over at this hotel, and it was a pretty satisfactory visit. The staff was very friendly and accommodating to me and the guests who we're staying as part of my wedding room block. The location is good if you want to take advantage of tax free Delaware shopping. Only con of this hotel, you can smell a little bit of the carpet cleaner, but at least you know it's clean!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank piecesofadream
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We appreciate your nice comments about our staff and cleanliness. I agree, the tax free shopping is a bonus of stopping in Delaware. Please stop by and see us when you are travelling by again.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My son went to U Del and we have not stayed at this property prior to graduation weekend. I knew the hotel was in the mall area, therefore was not unaware of the industrial surroundings. I was pleasantly surprised by the updated rooms and cleanliness of the property. Upon check in we were greeted by one of the most outstanding, helpful staff I have encountered even in upscale hotels. She could not have been nicer, and genuine. Unfortunately, for graduation weekend the prices were through the roof.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MarbleheadFamily

Thank you for your kind review about our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and happy to hear about the wonderful arrival you experienced. If you have time, I would very much appreciate a quick note letting me know who you are so I can recognize our assoicate that checked you in. My email is jason.abbey@marriott.com.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I came here and stayed one night for a business trip. Being a huge Marriott fan, I feel a bit sad to say that I was not very impressed with this hotel. I have a room with a king-size bed and I find my room a bit small. Also when I entered my room there was a slight smell that is noticeable but not bad enough to the extent that I would ask for a new room. It might have to do with the rain and all the moisture in the air. It was not moldy but could well on its way of being so. The lobby is warm and welcoming and the staff was professional and extremely helpful -- I called them a couple of times for help and they were all very nice about it and provided me the answers I needed. They are great assets of the hotel. There was a hot tub next to the pool (cannot do laps int he pool -- too small) that appears to be very relaxing. Bring your bathing suit if you want to take advantage of it.

The hotel is very conveniently located just off I-95. There are restaurants nearby and also convenient stores.

I am giving a poor rating on the value here because I don't think what I get is worth what I paid. All others I cannot really complain. The hotel is classified as a category 4, but I think it is more of a category 2-3. I wish in the future they can provide more 'value' in terms of better amenities to make a stay more enjoyable. My experience here is neither good nor bad -- what's lacking is a feeling of feeling just having experienced a mini-vacation and looking forward to staying here again if life takes you back here in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BHUANG69
Andrea H, Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Mr/Mrs Huang,
Thank you for choosing our Courtyard for your most recent stay. I am sorry that you did not like your room and that there was an odd smell in it. We will certainly look into the smell further to make sure that it is not anything more than a funny smell. I am glad that our staff was friendly and accommodating to you.
We do strive to do our best to please all of our guests, but unfortuntely we did not do so in your case. Please accept my sincerest apologies.
Should your travels bring you back to the area, we do hope that you will reconsider staying with us again.
Andrea
Asst. General Manager

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The courtyard Marriott is always a wonderful stay. I love how clean it is, and the staff is accommodating and so nice to work with. I always have a good stay the courtyard, but this is an exceptional one!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank DanielaBalxano
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Unless you like parking lots and pavement. I had requested a courtyard room. I made the request a coupe of days in advance and was told no problem. At check in they told me they were out of them yet the next guest got one.
VERY un-guest accommodating. I'll never be back to this one.

Room Tip: Courtyard side but it's worthless to request it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

I'm very sorry that we weren't able to accomodate your request for a courtyard view room. Less than half our rooms are facing the courtyard. We do try to accomodate all our guests requests, but the day you arrive and how full we are impacts the ability we have to meet your requests. I am confident that the room you stayed in was, except for the view out the window, equal to any of our courtyard view rooms.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel was home for two days during a recent basketball tournament. The rooms were spacious and provide a great place to rest. It was nice to have a mini fridge and coffeemaker in the room. While several Courtyards I have stayed at have breakfast included, this one did not. Would have been nice to have a microwave in the room as well for quick bites. Lobby had a nice area for our parents to chat and relax in the evening. The kids enjoyed the pool. Staff was helpful. Had hoped for a late checkout but was not able to fulfill the request.

Room Tip: While you might normally skip a room next to the elevator, you might want to consider here. Distanc...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry we weren't able to accomodate your late check out request. We try to allow late check outs whenever possible, but it depends on the amount of check outs and check ins we have each day, as we need to have most of our rooms available by 3pm for check in. If you are able to return and need a microwave (or anyone else reading this response) we have a limited amount that we can provide upon request.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times over the past few years and each time the staff continues to show what hospitality is all about. Today I arrived early due to a work cancellation and they found me a nice room so that I could spend the day and get work done.
The check in is always very easy and the grounds are well kept.
I also appreciate the way they take care of you at check in to make sure that everything is OK.
If you are a business traveler this is a great Hotel.

Room Tip: for a more Quiet room ask for a courtyard view these seem to be even number rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
jason_abbey, General Manager at Courtyard Wilmington Newark/Christiana Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. We are happy you like the hotel and keep coming back. I agree, our front desk associates are great!