“Poor service and faulty rooms”
Review of Quality Inn Newark

Quality Inn Newark
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Wantagh, New York
“Poor service and faulty rooms”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

From the start I was nervous about staying at the hotel because even the outside didn't look nice. When I got to the room it was extremely small and right away I noticed the window was off the frame so it was letting cold air in. Another problem with the room was the shower head was not fully connected to the wall so when moved it sprayed water across the entire bathroom. While I understand I was at a conference and the hotel was crowded the hotel was not prepared at all for the amount of people. They never had towels at the front desk, no extra pillows (if they did have them they were dirty), and room service never came. When I asked for someone to throw out our trash in the room one night they refused and said everyone was gone for the night. There were also stink bugs in the hallways and in the rooms themselves. Breakfast while free was bad as well. The waffles tasted sour and off and the bread products were stale. I was glad I was only at this hotel for three nights because I did not enjoy the stay at all. If possible my suggestion is to stay at the Courtyard Marriott!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Devils14
WENDY L, General Manager at Quality Inn Newark, responded to this review, 21 October 2013

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. I apologize that breakfast standard was unexceptable, and the issue with the stink bugs, all though we do try to eliminate them as we see them in the hotel, somehow they always seem to get in.

If not with us, I at least hope you remain a loyal Choice traveler.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Ivybridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Great, quiet location for the interstate and tax free shopping. Although an older style hotel we stayed in the newer part of the third floor. The service was excellent and breakfast good for continental style. Stayed two nights very cheap being under $150 for the stay it was value for money. Hotel clean and tidy, extra coffee no problem and cookies on the first night.A nice little extra. Internet access available and if you wish to swim an outside pool. Will use again if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adrianandlois
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The people were very friendly, the room very clean, elevator with key security, good continental breakfast.
Good place to sleep and next door the Countyard Marriott, with a nice bar and sandwiches.
What else can I say? Sometimes it's not easy to find a good, safe, with a restaurant close when you're on the road. This one had all I wanted.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Bebethh93
WENDY L, General Manager at Quality Inn Newark, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your previous stay at the Quality Inn, Newark Delaware. We as a team take pride in our hotel, and want everyone to feel at home during their stay. I am glad we had all the necessities that you needed for your stay. We hope that you will visit us again if you are back in the area.
Thank you for being a loyal Choice Traveler.
Hawley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We booked the hotel online with my boyfriend's father's credit card about a month before our trip. When we arrived at the hotel (after driving almost 4 hours), the very uncaring and unfriendly staff wouldn't let us check in because they needed a written authorization from my boyfriend's father saying that we could use his card. It never said that online when we booked it, and my boyfriend and his father have the same last name so you would think they would be smart enough to see the connection. After my boyfriend's father had to scream with them on the phone, they finally told him there was an atm at the hotel across the street that we could use. This was on a Saturday. That Monday we were out all day and when we came back to our room, housekeeping never made up the room. So my boyfriend went to the desk. They handed him towels and said housekeeping would be right up with wash cloths. They never came. Then Monday night we couldn't connect to the internet, it said invalid user name or password. We connected with the information they gave us. It was supposedly "free wifi", but when it did work, the connection was pretty bad. I am taking an online course and really needed to use the internet, so I was really angry. We were really looking forward to this trip, and then we couldn't wait to leave. That was the most miserable hotel experience we ever had. Next year we will be looking for a better hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank erinp150
WENDY L, General Manager at Quality Inn Newark, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
I would like to aplogize for any inconvenience that you may have incurred during your check in process at the Quality Inn, however, for security purposes and the safety of another guest's credit card, even if the last name is the same we do require a credit card authorization form to be completed by the person whose credit card is being used for a specific reservation. When traveling on the road I understand that this is sometimes a problem, however, by calling the hotel directly we can have all the necessary information provided for you before your arrival.
I hope you continue to be a loyal Choice traveler
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This hotel was located fairly close to the interstate which made it easy to get to our attraction locations. The check-in and check- out process went smoothly. The room was of average size and had a refrigerator and microwave. The beds were comfortable. They only had 2 towels and 2 wash clothes in the bathroom and we had to ask for more both days we stayed there. The complimentary breakfast was good and the staff kept everything well stocked on the breakfast bar. There was only 1 elevator (that I saw) and it was rather slow. The worse thing I could say about this hotel was that there was an odd smell in the hallways and the room. It was pretty strong at times especially when the air conditioner was not on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your previous stay at the Quality Inn, Newark DE, our staff strives to make cleanliness and friendliness a key factor at our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you continue to be a loyal Choice traveler.
Philadelphia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We were looking for a nice hotel to crash for a few hours on a long Trip North. We pulled off at this exit and saw several hotels. I could not believe how expensive some of them were. This Quality Inn was right across the parking lot from a major chain which was charging twice what this cost. I believe with a AAA rate we paid $62. The only difference from other hotels is this was a "Motor Inn" type. The doors were on the outside. The room was a nice as any hotel room I have been to and I am picky. Bedding was all high-end. The breakfast was great.

Room Tip: If you ask they will give you a room on the first floor where you can park right in front of your ro...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments during your previous stay at the Quality Inn, Newark DE. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you return as a loyal Choice traveler.
Charlotte
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here two nights. Our room was fairly clean but bed was comfortable and sheets appeared clean. We were not able to get our kitchen stocked with supplies that some of our friends had in their rooms and were told by staff they did not have anymore. Complimentary breakfast had a nice selection which also included hot foods. Not to far from the Christiana Mall.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1139anne
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your comments regarding your previous stay at the Quality Inn, Newark DE. I have shared your comments with the staff, and they wanted to know what could they have done more, to make your trip more pleasurable.