“Great experience !!!”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great experience !!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

While working in this region for my company I have spent over a month in this pleasant hotel.When I first arrived hotel staff was extremely helpful in every way possible.The front desk associates Kesha and George some of the most helpfull and curtious hotel staff I have ever experienced while staying in a hotel. The morning breakfast is always good! The breakfast options usually consist of fresh made waffle mix with make your own waffle iron and all jellys and syrup are supplied. Theirs cereal, oatmeal, yogurt, always hot coffee and fresh hard boiled eggs and bread also, along with different juices. The breakfast manager Pratik is very nice and has even helped older couples with bringing food to their table as I witnessed first hand. The assistant hotel manager Pragnesh Patel has gone above and beyond his duties on certain occasions for me during my stay.

Room Tip: The room on the higher floors have a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve B
Howard Johnson N, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your review. We always appreciate a guest who stays with us when working in the area and we know when you're happy! Our team is tops and thanks for saying so.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Hotel staff was very friendly. Arrived a little before check in and was able to get the paperwork out of the way early. I was placed in a room as soon as one was available. I will definitely stay again

Room Tip: Corner rooms are convenient to the side door entrance/exit
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We strive to be clean and comfortable. Come back and see us again!
Schenectady, NY
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Spent 1 night in this disgusting hotel. Old converted Howard Johnson hotel. Immediately after the rude check-in process I parked my car and walked in. The 1st smell I got was of Spray Paint and Curry (Yuck!) Then I proceeded to my room, all the time the smell was the same. I got to the room and opened the door flipped on the switch and noticed that all the lights were those murcury lights very uncomfortable lighting. Went into the bathroom and the floor was dirty and appeared to have human urine on the floor that had not been cleaned up from the last guest. The water in the sink did not go down ALL NIGHT. The bath tub was dirty and when I say dirty I mean dirty like a homeless man took a shower in there and they never cleaned the tub. I called the front desk and was told "Sorry there are no more rooms ava for the night" Being a trucker I was required to stop PER DOT Guide lines or would have RAN fast from this building. (by the way @ 2AM the place had a total of 5 cars in the parking lot and was not at capacity) I then proceeded to place my bag on the desk and noticed a bad smell coming from the bed area it was the AC unit and it REAKED of Cigarette smoke and that AC unit blew right on you all night long as the rooms have the bed right next to the AC in such a manner that you can not get away from it. The signs on the phones still say howard johnson and the place that truckers park is unsafe in the night time. So if you have a camper don't stay here. If you ever listen to a review , listen to this down to earth truck driver who's standards are a shower, toylet, bed and sink.... DO NOT STAY HERE... about 5 miles from here is another one that looked really nice when i passed by it... That one might be worth a look...

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want to sleep....
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank justmee2u
Howard Johnson N, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for reviewing our property. Having DOT demand that you stay at a hotel for driving too many hours is I am sure upsetting and the fact that we are renovating, an old Hojo, and the smell of fresh paint could have pushed anyone over their limit. We spoke briefly upon your arrival and would have been happy to have you reach out to me to help in any way I could to make your stay comfortable. I apologize if you did not have a pleasant experience staying with us and hope that you'll come back again under more favorable circumstances.
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I travel a lot, so when I saw that this was the worst hotel experience in my twenty years of travel, it is worth noting.

I arrived late and got a room. As soon as I turned the heater on, it started putting out fumes/smell. It seemed liked it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Eventually, I turned it off (unplugged it) to prevent further fumes. But then it started omitting toxic fumes and had to switch rooms.

The next room had constant bugs in the pillows that I was breathing in. At 2 in the morning, there wasn't much to do other than tough it out. I woke up at 5AM with severe diarrhea / gaging. I spent the next three hours in the tub pooping out bugs/capsules/weird stuff. My stomach was literal full of foul fleas or something.

The manager provided a full refund with apology; but it is clear that this place is not being maintained and is not fit for human occupation. He assured me that there "changes coming" so perhaps down the road a stay might be good but I'd avoid for now.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Travis T
Thank you for the quite detailed review and of course reaching out to me. This is more detail than you and I spoke and I'll share with my team. This is far beyond the normal customer complaint.
Newark
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

The customer service desk was very nice. It was our first time and Sara was a great help ! We would definitely go back again soon. The prices are very affordable for the night and the rooms are fully equipped so we didn't have to really leave :)

• Stayed March 2014
Thank you for taking the time. Sara has been with us a long time and is a valued team member. The guests do love her. See you again next stay.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I initially made a reservation for 4 rooms/2 nights through Expedia but something soon came up that required me to cancel the first night of the reservation. I tried multiple times to do it through expedia but I was told that the rate would go up because they would have to cancel the entire reservation and do it all over again with the new rates. I was not satisfied with this so I asked them to speak with the Red Roof Inn, and as such I was put on hold for an obscene amount of time/hung up on/transferred, etc. Finally, I took it upon myself to contact this Red Roof Inn and I the assistant manager, Mr. Patel answered me. Long story short, he was an absolute pleasure to speak with. He listened to my complaints and assured me that he would be more than willing to offer me a discount for the reduced rate despite the increase in price. He kept his word and made the entire experience so pleasant. I couldn't be happier with their customer service and their willingness to accommodate their guests. 5 stars!!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you! Mr. Patel is an excellent Asst. GM, truly my right hand. He goes out of his way for our guests. See you again!
Northampton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I travel to Delaware a couple times a month and tried several other hotels including other Red Roof Inn properties and this location is by far my favorite choice of stay. I enjoy everything about this location from the great room rates and deals to the outstanding costumer service at the front desk from both gentlemen that I have met. I also received a great complimentary breakfast, which was defiantly a plus to my morning. While staying there I noticed how spacious and clean the rooms appear to be. I would defiantly stay here again and strongly recommend this hotel to many others!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to tell about your stay with our hotel. We work very hard to ensure that each and every guest enjoy their experience. See you next time.