“Dirty, Old, Horrible Service”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were forced to say here as part of a large group, the reviews on line were good so we took a chance. Our block was booked months in advance only to show up and find that we didn't get what we reserved.

This property is very old, very dirty, and out dated. I'm not sure what property some other recent reviewers stayed in but it couldn't be the same property. I had a "suite" one bed had blood stains on the sheet, the bathroom was old and outdated, and the "suite" was nothing if a big room with nos style or modern anything (other than the TV, at least it was a flat screen). The hallways are like a maze with no clear direction, half the wording on the signs are missing.

The wifi at our end of this large property was not good, poor reception on iphone, android, and ipad.
Did not take a chance on anything else, woke up and got out so I can't comment on anything else. T

Room Tip: Avoid, too old and outdated, not what we expected from a National chain.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kenny M
Red Roof Inn an... N, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time. Our hotel is an older hotel, and is in need of renovations and updating. If you pass by now, you will see that we've already started this with the exterior of the lobby painted and the ORANGE ROOF is no more. This renovation will be going through the entire hotel one phase at a time. Please do plan to come to the area again and stop in to see the wonderful changes we are making. I assure you that your next experience will be a much better one.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well I really enjoyed my night out at this hotel. Although I didn't get to enjoy the pool which is open 9 am to 9 pm, I still enjoyed the other services. Overnight, they're short staffed so any condiments you may need you will have to go the the front desk. Red Roof employee Nilesh and his counterparts took care of me and were plenty of help to say the least. They did a good job with the payment transaction so I can get to my room as quick as possible. Red Roof is better than Howard Johnson and have definitely renovated these hotel rooms for the best. 3 Star experience.

1  Thank Mohammad3
Red Roof Inn an... N, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Our team is truly our greatest asset and Nilesh is tops. See you next time!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have not met such a warm, friendly, and considerate staff at a hotel on the east coast! Rajesh and other front desk staff, as well as house keeping, treated me respectfully, patiently (even when busy), and staff greet you and ask you how you are whenever you run into them in the hall! This hospitality was really important to me, as I was in a temporary very stressful bind in between leaving my old apartment and moving into my new apartment. I came to the right place. Its not a 5 star hotel, and sometimes the next door noise was a little loud (weekend night), but the vibe is very relaxed, there is a community feel, and staff work hard here to make this a great and affordable place. I am so grateful that I stayed here! A great deal for the money.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, avoid rooms with an adjoining door to another room, because it is easy to hear...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. Rajesh is a newer member of our team, but very good with our guests, and always a smile to greet you! Come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

EVERYONE, front desk personnel, housekeeping & maintenance, and all other attendants were sincerely kind and accommodating.
At very reasonable rates this particular hotel, in addition to in-room coffee, microwave, fridge, ironing, good WiFi, offers wide selection of cable channels, substantial breakfast, pool, etc..

Having stayed here before, and currently waiting to get into new apt., I remembered how pleasant and what a great a value this place was so I drove here from NYC.

I am delighted to find it better than ever.

G. Jerome

Room Tip: As I brought work w/ me, including computer equip., I found it convenient to be on same level as par...
1  Thank G J

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased you came back to see us again! Looking forward to seeing you next time.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Loved the stay. It was clean, Quiet, and the employees was very nice and helpful. I had a king bed room, loved the balcony. Will recommend to anybody. The front desk was also very welcoming. Very nice stay for a nice price.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Shy327
Howard Johnson N, Director of Sales at Red Roof Inn & Suites Newark - University, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you for your review. Sums it up, clean and comfortable with a great staff. Guests love us for our team!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My group of 4 arrived around 11:30 PM at night, and we were checked in by your employee Nilesh. He was very pleasant, and our check-in went just fine. When we got settled in our room, there were a few additional items that our group required. I went to the front desk, and spoke with Nilesh. He quickly obtained the things that I had asked him for, and provided help in getting them to my room. We stay in hotels throughout the country several times per year, and because of the OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE provided by Nilesh, we will DEFINITELY be staying with Red Roof Inn #812 again !
Thank you, Nilesh, for helping us so quickly and efficiently !

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review! Nilesh is an asset to us and always has a kind word for our guests. Glad to see you enjoyed your stay and hope we'll be seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Me, my wife and daughter had the pleasure of randomly finding this Red Roof Inn on a recent trip. The greeting we got at the front desk was among the most friendly and pleasant that we have experienced. It was very nice to have someone who seemed to enjoy their public services position and her attitude reflected a genuine pride in her work and the place. The room was very spacious, clean and had a feeling of quality in everything in the room. We slept soundly and enjoyed a full breakfast set of selections in their very spacious area designated for breakfast. The whole Inn is spacious and has a well kept appearance. After staying in several places where the desk staff were sullen and the rooms not as large or as clean it was a real pleasure to find this Red Roof Inn. I would recommend this place without any reservations.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for a wonderful review! I'm glad to see you enjoyed your stay and breakfast with our hotel. Our staff is why guests love us :)