“Blood on sheets”

Sonesta ES Suites Wilmington - Newark
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed 21 August 2007

We reserved two duplex rooms from August 17-19th for our extended family to stay while attending a wedding in the area. Rooms 1222 and 1224 to be exact. Room 1224 was fine when first entered, however the bed sheets for 1222, while professionally made, smelled and looked as if they were not laundered after the previous occupants. Room 1222 in general had signs of use from the previous occupants. Our family overlooked this and stayed in the room anyway.

After returning to the hotel the next evening, after the wedding, exhausted and looking forward to a good nights rest ... they found neither room to have been serviced by housekeeping. The garbage was not taken out and smelled. The wet towels from that morning were still laying on the bathroom floor, the beds were not made, fresh towels and toilettries had not been replenished. That night our family went to use the fold out bed from the sofa for the first time, and discovered to their horror bright red blood on the sheets, most likely from the previous occupants as it was still red.

They called the front desk and were told by Betty that she was the only person on staff and unable to bring new supplies. Housekeeping had left for the day and no one would be up to clean the rooms. However, someone from the room could go down to the front desk to pick up fresh towels, sheets and toilettries. Upon returning to room 1222 with big black garbage bags full of supplies they discovered the sheets inside smelled of body odor, as if not washed since the last person used them, and when unfolded there were orange-brown blood splatters all over. Shortly after someone on staff slipped the bill under the door. How interesting that no one was on staff to bring the towels, but they sure had someone to send the bill!

Lastly, we reserved the room under our platinum membership and were supposed to received free gifts, usually a basket with fruit and cookies and a bottled water. Neither room received those.

After returning home I contacted the general manager, and requested the second night from each room be refunded. He agreed and promplty issued a refund. Because of his willingness to refund part of the cost for the stay and sincere appologies for this experience, I would consider staying there again, if I were to return to the area. I was told that this is not typical of the hotel. More than likely whoever was on housekeeping/laundery duty that day is going to be repremanded if not released from services, so this will probably not happen again.

The rooms are attractive and nicely layed out with duplex style bedrooms and baths upstairs and more private bedroom and bath downstairs. Aside from the housekeeping issues the second day it was a comfortable stay. Breakfast was elegantly layed out and all in attendence were satisfied with the selection and quality of the food.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 July 2007

Excellent hotel. Beds were super comfortable. Everything was super clean. Toilet was broken off one day but was fixed promptly. One car break in which was happening along 95 corridor, but was at entrance. Breakfast was good. I was there with a friend for 1 week, she was very happy also.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 18 June 2007

We chose a two-bedroom Residence Inn suite as opposed to two hotel rooms. With that in mind, the price was pretty good. It's a haul up the stairs to the upstairs units, but the suite smelled clean and looked good and had 3 televisions. The pillowtop mattress on the king
bedroom of our suite was wonderful, apparently brand new. Lots of room, but again, stairs to the loft bedroom. More kitchen amenities than we needed, but it was nice to have a place to sit and eat take out from a local restaurant with a line longer than we wanted to stand in. Breakfast was typical hotel breakfast bar with lots of choices. Handy to have a selection of food available at their market late at night, also. We were on the street side but were not disturbed by traffic noise. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2007

We stayed at the Residence Inn one night in April as an I-95 stopover. The hotel is close to highway at the end of an office park. We used Marriott points to cover the stay, as it was a little pricey otherwise. The outside of the hotel looked dated and we were not sure if our room was even inhabitable as all the windows were covered with plastic on the outside. But once inside, we found a completely renovated suite with a luxurious King size bed, a sofabed, granited sinked bathroom area and full kitchen with full size stainless appliances. The sheets on the sofabed were gross, so we called the office and the security guard quickly brought replacements. Strangely, the room had a working wood burning fireplace, which I thought was very peculiar for a hotel of this type.

Our room was located opposite the office and near the highway, so the road noise from I-95 was very pronounced and woke me up a few times. Renovations were still ongoing, so the breakfast area was a little makeshift, but the breakfast offered many options and was satisfying. I was happy with this hotel, but was glad I wasn't paying their rack rate.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2006

I expected a little more from a Residence Inn because of past stays in others around the country. The rooms are large but there is not a lot of storage space for clothes. The bed and tables were fairly new but the chairs and couch were old and uncomfortable. The carpets and wall coverings are old and need updating. If you have a lower unit expect to hear foot steps above you every time the people above you move. There seemed to be a lot of cob webs in the corners, a sign of careless cleaning.
The location was good, close to I95 and Routes 1 and 13. I thought the breakfast was well stocked and had a lot of choises. Overall a good stay and I would stay there again if I was not on the first floor.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2006

I had accidently left my light on in my car. My daughter noticed when she looked out the window. I went down and turned off the light.

The next morning I found that my passenger window had been smashed in. The police said it was probably done with a baseball bat.

I then discovered that not only had this happened before but the maintanence shed (which I was parked in front of) had just recently been broken into.

When I went to the front desk they told me they were not responsible and there was a guard. The guard did not see my car lights on nor my window bashed in and I was there from 8 pm to 8 am. Nor did I see a guard there once.

I called corporate Marriott and they told me that the hotel is protected by an Innkeepers policy where they are not responsible for vandalized property.

So I paid $210 for one night at a hotel where I could have been attacked if I had gone out to my car later. And I am also out the cost of my window and my GPS unit.

I would never stay there again.

Stayed: August 2006
5  Thank jrpull
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I stayed at this Residence Inn for just one night but was very pleased with our stay. It is located very conveniently off I-95 not far from a moderate sized shopping center. The room was more than large enough for the four of us and came with a sofa, love seat and two stools at the counter island as well as two double beds. My son slept on the sofa while our daughter took the other double bed. The room was clean and everything worked well. Although it is somewhat common now, we were all very pleased with the free wireless internet and its ease of use. The full complimentary breakfast the following morning was quite good and kept well stocked. In addition to scrambled egges, pancakes and sausage, batter was provided to make one's own waffles. The breakfast staff was very friendly and greeted each group cordially upon arrival as well as upon departure. The bill for the room had been slid under our door during the night and check out consisted of simply calling the front desk and informing them we were leaving.

• Stayed: March 2006