We just got back from a 3 night stay at this hotel. We booked it sight unseen, based on the 4 star rating. We arrived early and could not check in, and a very old woman at the desk told us she would call us when the room was ready. We took a long and leisurely walk on the boardwalk and she never called us. We came back to the hotel at 3pm, which is their check in time, and the room was not ready. I don't know how many housekeepers there are, but there is an endless line of employees at the front desk. We checked in at 3:30, not a huge deal, only 30 minutes late. The man at the front desk was very apologetic.
The entire hotel and the rooms are obviously decorated in the Victorian style. That's nice, I guess, if you need to visit that era. This is the BEACH, however, and this style totally does not fit with the environment. This is not Victorian England. Our room was a "special" room, on the 4th floor, which requires a special swipe of your room key in the elevator to even access this floor. In the corner of our room was a jacuzzi, which we never used, and which took up a good portion of the room. The "bathroom" consisted of a toilet, which, when sitting on it, your feet are immediately up against the shower door. Not to mention that the toilet itself is so low to the ground that you need the leg muscles of Arnold Schwartzenegger to get up each time. The sink, which all around the world would be in the bathroom, is out in the room itself. But for me, personally, the worst thing was the bed. It was, despite being from the Victorian era, one of these modern beds being 4 feet off the ground. I'm a 5'5" tall woman and i have wrenched my neck, literally, trying to even get ON THE BED. It was so high i couldn't even swing my leg onto it easily. I dreaded getting into bed every night. And I was afraid of falling out!! Between the low toilet and the unbelievably high bed this was an Olympic workout for me.
There were 2 very stiff wooden chairs to sit on, but no sofa of any kind. So this made the room very uncomfortable to be in. If they would take out the jacuzzi which occupies 1/4 of the room and put in a cozy couch this would go a long way to improving the room.
I want to also say that i've travelled all over this country, on all types of beaches, and have travelled extensively to Europe as well, and never had this kind of high altitude bed anywhere, or a sink that was in the room, away from the bathroom. Instead of worrying about copying a decor that doesn't even fit the beach, the owner should think more about the comfort and safety of the visitors.
I get the feeling from some of the other unhappy comments on Tripadvisor that instead of apologizing, the owner is obviously arrogant and defensive about his hotel. Other general managers at other hotels actually go out of their way to make customers happy and are able to APOLOGIZE for their discomforts. OH, and one more thing, don't leave the porch door open for any length of time because you will have an army of flies in your room in no time, since there were no screen doors in the Victorian age, apparently. It's time to come into the 21st century and make the rooms more comfortable, safe and appropriate to the location.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Boardwalk Plaza Hotel – think of us as a beach house – with 84 bedrooms!At the Boardwalk Plaza, we are fortunate to call the ocean’s edge our home, and happy to offer you a unique and comfortable respite from the world where you can truly get away from it all. From the moment you step under our antique wrought-iron canopy and enter the lobby, our staff stands ready to offer you exceptional service. Whether you choose a suite with a private balcony, a deluxe accommodation that adds a whirlpool-for-two – or something in between – you’ll find an artful combination of freshly updated, Victorian-reproduction furnishings and can’t-do-without amenities like free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. From heavenly bedding to downy-soft bath towels and robes to remarkable room service with a smile, we do everything possible – and then some – to make you feel pampered. All of our guests can enjoy all-day dining in our oceanfront restaurant and relax in our heated indoor soaking pool. For adults traveling without children, our keyed-access concierge level offers accommodations enhanced with genteel extras and use of the private rooftop sundeck and spa.Like the ocean, we never close! Both the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel and Victoria’s Restaurant are open year-round. Join us for a weeklong vacation or a romantic escape – from a summer beach holiday to a cozy winter getaway. You pick the season that suits you best and we’ll take care of the rest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Boardwalk Plaza Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Boardwalk Plaza Rehoboth Beach
- Hotel Boardwalk Plaza
- Boardwalk Plaza Hotel Rehoboth Beach, Delaware