“What a Surprise”

Boardwalk Plaza Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Always cautious of smaller independent hotels I booked for a weekend get away with my sister. From the moment we arrived the staff was friendly, courteous, and seemed anxious to please. The bellboy that carried our bags to our room offered to get ice, got us more coffee, and never seemed put out. The room was immaculate ( and I check every crevice), we got an ocean view and we had a perfect view of the ocean don't know that oceanfront wouldn't have been any better. A bitterly cold weekend we decided to stay in the hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the pub where the bartender kept a friendly banter and the food was superb!!! I've stayed at five diamond hotels that were no better. When we left the manager was on his knees trying to find us discount coupons for the outlets we were headed too, and extremely apologetic that they were out. I not only recommend this hotel full heartily, I will indeed go back. Forget all I posted, don't go, stay away, don't want to not be able to reserve a room when I want!!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view or Ocean Front you must see the Ocean!!
1  Thank Debra G

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've stayed here every winter for the last five years or so. I must say that as usual the hotel accommodations were wonderful. I love the Victorian decor, the rooms are spacious and extremely comfortable, the location is great, and the staff is just delightful. They are very accommodating; when we had to leave a day early because of a coming snow storm, there was no problem and we were not charged for the room. We will definitely stay there again. We went to the Pub on Saturday night and that was fine, too, although I do wish they would stay open later than 10 p.m. It would seem that staying open to 11 p.m. on a weekend night would be something their patrons would like.

The only problem I've ever had at the hotel was in the restaurant. In my review last year, I complained about the restaurant's service and we had a problem this year, too. My travel companion ordered a crab omelet for breakfast. When it arrived it was clear that there was no crab meat in it. When we complained to the waitress she said that the crab meat was cooked into the egg but it was very evident that there was no crab meat in it. They did bring some cooked crab meat but still, they should be able to get an order right, especially for breakfast when they weren't that busy.

Room Tip: If traveling with several friends or family members consider the ocean front or view suites with the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
BoardwalkPlazaGM, General Manager at Boardwalk Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you so much for your continued patronage, and for your candid review. Although we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations, we were very sorry to hear that we let you down in the restaurant on more than one occasion. Please know that we take every guest comment to heart and take action based on your experiences. Please accept our apologies for where we fell short. We look forward to welcoming you back to an improved experience in Victoria's and the Boardwalk Plaza, as well.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I usually try to stay here at least once every year during the winter season. I have always loved the hotel, restaurant, and the staff. However, this year the hotel decided to do away with the their very best Sunday brunch buffet and moved to the ordinary a la carte menu. While the food is good, it is no comparison to the variety of the food offered during the brunch buffet. Also gone is the more leisure atmosphere offered in the buffet setting. The Sunday brunch buffet was another special feature of this hotel. I was very disappointed to see it move to being no different than what other hotels offer. I'm hoping this is just an experimental period for the hotel and they will bring back the gem that made the hotel special.

Room Tip: The ocean view suite with Jacuzzi is my favorite room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review, and for your comments regarding our new a la carte Sunday Brunch. Over the course of three years, we thoughtfully considered the move to a la carte Sunday brunch, as we had many comments about the price and guests commenting that they did not want that much food. This year we decided to follow the industry trend and make the change, offering entrees at different price points and doing away with set seating times so guests would not have to wait. We truly appreciate your opinion as we evaluate the pros and cons moving forward into the future!

P.S. We do still offer the full, extended buffet for holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and Mother's Day and hope you will come visit us then to enjoy it!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife spent Friday night at the hotel. It is a great facility. Clean comfortable room with an ocean view. Had breakfast in the restuarant. Great service and quality of food at a reasonable price. The hotel is right on the boardwalk and within easy walking distance of many shops and restuarants.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

First-time stay January 2014 for a much needed restful weekend. Pleasantly surprised to find that I never needed to leave the hotel. Wonderful restaurant and pub, and excellent room service. Every meal was delicious. At the pub had the beach burger - best burger ever!. During the entire stay staff was extremely helpful, courteous and friendly. Wonderful room with gorgeous ocean view. Nice and clean - it's the first thing I inspect - no worries there - immaculate. Also, it looked like people were thoroughly enjoying the indoor pool - maybe next time. Highly recommend Boardwalk Plaza if you're thinking of visiting Rehoboth. Even if only for the day, it'd be worth the trip to enjoy a delicious meal with an ocean view in the resplendent Victorian dining room or pub. The only thing better would be a stay during the summer with just steps to the beach and boardwalk. Five stars all around! ,

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
BoardwalkPlazaGM, General Manager at Boardwalk Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you so much for your 5-star review. We're delighted that you discovered us for a cozy wintertime getaway! Every season has its own charms here in Rehoboth Beach...we hope to host you again soon in the springtime, summer, and fall seasons as well. In the meantime, all the best to you in 2014. We look forward to welcoming you back once again.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

What an AMAZING place! From the moment I entered, I felt as if I had gone thru a time warp; not only in appearances and accommodations, but also with service. I have never before been treated with such hospitality and respect. Although we live a mere 30 minutes from the Plaza, I truly felt I was a million miles away; in an entirely different century. My husband and I were literally treated like royalty!

ACCOMODATIONS: Surperb!!!!!! The ocean front suite was sooo warm, welcoming, well furnished, and spacious. The view was PRICELESS. Comfortable beds, sofa, chairs. All the amenities of an UPSCALE hotel! The pool/spa was remarkable and a relaxing addition. Victoria's restaurant was outstanding. All of our meals were divine!

SERVICE: The concierge, Tom was a breath of fresh air and went over and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. Our waitress, Jennifer, the maître d, Bobbie, the barkeep Tim, the housekeeping staff, room service staff, and front desk staff were pleasant, courteous, and attentive. Everyone FAR EXCEEDED the definition of hospitable and honestly added to our experience.

Finally, the Plaza is the epitome of cleanliness!!!! It actually became my quest to find dirt, dust, stains, etc. (and I checked behind and under furniture, in the intricate wood moldings, on lamp shades, pictures, drapes, etc) NONE, NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!!! Truly a breathtaking experience!

Room Tip: I truly can't think of any BAD rooms. Other than logically staying away from elevator and ice ma...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Fantastic! Thank you so much for the 5-star review. Our team just loves to hear that we are meeting our hospitality goals and your comments are sincerely appreciated. Thank you, also, for reinforcing our message that "you don't have to go away, to get away" -- we are tickled that you discovered our vacation getaway that's close to home, but worlds apart. We hope to host you again, soon. Again, our thanks.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We spent another night at the Boardwalk Plaza, and again, enjoyed it very much. Our room was very clean, and ready as soon as we got there. Our view was to the southeast, not a direct ocean front room, but we still had a perfect view of the ocean and the beach. The Atlantic Sands next door was under construction, but it never bothered us a bit. Coffee maker in room with K-cups was a definite plus!

Room Tip: Even a ocean view room gives you great views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for coming back to the Boardwalk Plaza, and for another great review of your stay with us. Our repeat guests are one of our biggest compliments, and we look forward to welcoming you back many times in the future!