“The Lovely Henlopen”

Ranked #18 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Philadelphia
“The Lovely Henlopen”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Henlopen Hotel sits at the very quiet, far end of the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk, an easy walk from the busy (and noisy) hustle and bustle of the main boardwalk center. But before I talk about the hotel and why it is awesome, I have to explain what I consider to be the fraudulent and unethical practices of Expedia (don't worry, it ties in!). I called Expedia to book a stay at an oceanfront hotel. I told the rep on the phone that I wanted a suite with a balcony and a full ocean view. I also told her it was a special occasion and that it was important that the room was 100% perfect and would be everything I requested. After searching for awhile, she suggested a couple of places that were way too expensive ($500 a night). She really seemed to want to make the sale, and was very persistent in keeping me on the phone, making me think their reps are either on commission or have a quota to meet. She was excited when she found the Henlopen at $132 per night and she stated that it was a queen suite with a balcony and a full ocean view. I asked her a total of three times if the room was 100% guaranteed and she said "yes, it is guaranteed because you are paying in full for the room up front". I even asked her if it was a side view of the ocean because I did not want that, and she said it was a full font view of the ocean. It sounded great, so I booked it. Long story short, when I called the Henlopen to confirm, they informed me I bought a standard room and that Expedia is not even authorized to sell oceanfront view rooms at all! Of course this was not the fault of the hotel, so I called Expedia and had it out with them for an hour. They refused to discount or refund the room, but they did tell me that the "the hotel is completely 100% sold out of oceanfront view rooms and they have none available at all." We headed to the Henlopen with our hearts completely sunk. When we arrived at 1:00 a.m., we were warmly greeted by Vera at the front desk, who smiled as she handed us our keys. I noticed that the envelope had the word "upgrade" on it and I asked her about it. She said "Yes, we decided to upgrade you to the oceanfront view because of the whole thing with Expedia." Needless to say, we were beyond delighted, but when we got to the room, we were even more impressed. The room was spotlessly clean, huge, and well appointed. We had a full size sleeper sofa, a nice-sized round glass table with two chairs, a refrigerator, microwave and a large closet. The beds were very comfortable and faced a large flat-screen tv. The bathroom is nothing short of spectacular and was the best bathroom I have ever encountered at a hotel. It was very large, with a deep soaking tub on one end of the room and two-person, walk-in shower on the other end. Double sinks and plenty of soft towels and toiletries completed the feeling of luxury. Next, we made our way out to the balcony. It is huge and looks directly at the ocean, with a small table and two chairs. Needless to say, we were over the moon. The room had obviously been recently renovated with the most modern and soothing decor. After spending a comfortable and very quiet night sleeping in bliss, we awoke to the glorious sounds of the ocean lapping at the sand and stepped out onto the balcony to enjoy the blue-green waves and the bright sunshine. The balcony also gives an excellent opportunity for people-watching on the boardwalk and beach. The breakfast room is just a short walk away, and offers bagels, pastries, muffins, juice, tea and coffee. I filled up two trays with the yummy offerings and we sipped our coffee and nibbled our breakfast while enjoying the scenery. The staff at the Henlopen could not be nicer. They are just delightful. The lobby and elevators are in excellent condition and also look as though they have been recently renovated. I have to say I am beyond impressed with the fact that the Henlopen did the right thing, even though I never blamed them nor pressured them to give me the room I wanted. In fact, I told them I would take it up with Expedia. In this day and age, who does the right thing just because it's right? The Henlopen deserves more praise and accolades than I could possibly write. They obviously care, and it shows in how they treat their guests. Thank you, Henlopen, for a fantastic weekend. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: It is worth it to deal with the hotel directly and book an oceanfront room. Most of the rooms have b...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank sunta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
NJ
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I stayed with another couple at Henlopen Hotel for one night so we could attend Dogfishhead's Analog-a-go-go festival. I found the front desk staff to be very pleasant, the room was clean and it's proximity to the beach was great! I really do not have anything negative to say and would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the floor at the courtyard level and it was great to be able to walk out of our room an...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank lilgirl1279
San Diego, California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

It's your typical beach hotel...but with a twist. The top floor restaurant rocks the most amazing food and catering service for a wedding reception. The staff isn't the most responsive, only drawback. The view is spectacular. If you have to plan an event or reception, try to book the Henlopen. We traveled from San Diego CA to Deleware for a family wedding. We were not disappointed with our room or travel experience. And the price was great too.

Room Tip: not all rooms face ocean. ask for one that does!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Maya H
Mattoon, Illinois
Reviewed 26 October 2011

Our stay here (9/28-10/1/11) got off to a rocky start. We found the front desk to be unwelcoming, inhospitable and down right surly. Upon a late arrival on the first night, we discovered that we had mistakenly booked 3 nights on when we had intended to booked 4 nights. Desk clerk was playing card games on the computer and could not be bothered then. Based on the reception, we decided to deal with it in the morning. When we went back to the front desk, yet another surly clerk first told us there were no rooms available on the 4th night (it was quite obvious the hotel was not full) then she said we would be able to stay in the same room on the 4th night but charged us double for the 4th night.

Location was great. Room had an excellent view of the beach but was very much in need of attention (mold on lampshades, sliding door screen would not stay on tracks, door lock was hard to operate, toilet seat needed replaced). They charged for Wi-Fi. Front desk was not helpful with local information nor was there any information in the room. At check in and throughout our 4 night stay it was very obvious they do not like guests who book rooms though internet travel websites.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank rawright59

Travellers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Loved- location on quieter side of Rehoboth Ave- easy walk to everything (no kids with us)
Ocean is right there.

Just outdated- peeling paint- torn screen..and loud wedding party going on late- & our upstairs neighbors decided to loudly go out in their balcony @ 5 a.m.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank urbanagrl
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We completed our third annual stay at the Henlopen in August. See my 2 previous reviews. While experiencing 3 out of their many rooms is far from comprehensive, I can say that each year we had a nice, and most importantly, very clean room. All 3 of the rooms over 3 years were the same. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but at this point I can feel confident in saying this is a perfectly nice hotel. I fail to understand the really poor reviews. The only slight disappointment on this recent trip was that he public shower in the men's room was not working during our stay, which we really appreciate on the day of departure after we check out. They allowed men and woman to use the one in the women's room by locking the door while occupied (which ran out of towels probably due to the higher use). Overall, not a big deal. It was never poor, but I think the customer service we expereinced from the staff this year was the best ever.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KeyWeststhebest
Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2011

My family and I stayed at the Henlopen in August 2011 and were very pleased. It was the most affordable hotel in the area, and we were pleased with every aspect of our stay. Parking is very conveniently located right outside the front door, and the hotel is located at the quiet end of the boardwalk. Everything was within easy walking distance. The staff were very accomodating when we had a problem with our room, and went out of their way to help us. I believe that all rooms have a balcony, which includes a beach view (even though the cheaper ones are obstructed). We will definitely stay here again! Rehoboth is the perfect place for families, and this hotel is a perfect option.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family