“Locally sourced amazing grub”
Review of Hobos Restaurant + Bar - CLOSED

Hobos Restaurant + Bar
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Bountiful, flavorful, organic food lovingly prepared entirely from scratch by Executive Chef Gretchen Hanson in her sassy Global Eco-fusion style Season and local menu chemical and preservative free.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We went here on the suggestion of the owner of our hotel. Great choice we were there 3 times during our 6 day trip. They are a little pricey but definitely worth it. Also split your meals if you can huge portions. Plus they had the best Margaritas in Rehoboth!!

There are newer reviews for Hobos Restaurant + Bar

Reviewed 25 June 2014

well, first I want to complement the chef-- MOST of the food was delicious. MOST. Not all. I ordered a burger-- no mention on the menu that it would be stuffed full of onions and since there are never onions in burgers, I didn;t think to mention that I didn't want onions. It was really gross. I ordered it medium rare and got well done shoe leather. It was one of the worst burgers I've ever had. But, the sweet potato fries and the truffle fries were AMAZING-- and my mother's and sister's food (they shared) was also stunning. One had the goat cheese beet salad and the other had truffle enchiladas (or similar) delicious.

Most of the proportions, though, were disgustingly large. For an "organic good for you granola crunchy" restaurant, they seem to want everyone obese. There's no note on the menu that the sizes are so huge-- but no one was able to finish their plates. Given the prices (My burger was almost $20) you expect a good portion, but it would be much better to charge $15 and give what people SHOULD be eating rather than forcing (or inviting them) to completely gorge themselves. Health is more than good ingredients-- it's healthy eating habits, too, and the serving sizes here were just gross. EXCEPT... for the black bean soup which was also like $16 (!!!) but it was SO little food that my husband ended up eating most of my fries, most of my daughter's fries, and most of his nephews fries, too. The price of the soup was just plain RIP OFF-- there was about $1 worth of beans in there. It was a reasonable lunch portion if you also had salad. WHich reminds me that the soup came with pico de gallo.... but no chips. and no lettuce....? what were you supposed to do with it? put it in the soup? huh? so, that got wasted.

But the truly worst part of this restaurant is the service. A man who (as my 6 year old remarked) looks like a young George Bush Sr. waited on us-- and EVERY time he left the table he did not come back for 15 minutes. Drinks? 15 minutes. Check? 15 minutes. Give him the card? 15 minutes. Seriously. It was INSANE. It was like he was leaving the restaurant, walking down the block and then meandering back, perhaps by crawling. He was friendly enough... but given that there were only 4 other tables outside and one other one inside.... it's not like they were slammed. Really, no reason for the ridiculous waits. Not to mention that we had three kids there. He came over and said: would you kids like crayons and paper??? to which they all enthusiastically yelled YES!!! and he went away.... and we are STILL waiting for those crayons and paper. You just don't ask kids something like that and then not deliver. Really, it was amazing inattentive, discourteously slow service-- so much so that this alone is why we will never return.

Advice for travelers: try the Dogfish Head Brewery. Save your money and avoid this place unless you have a whole lot of extra time on your hands, money that you like to just burn, and an appetite like the most massive of Americans. Oh, and onions in your burgers.

Advice to Hobos: take some time to get a REAL menu printed-- not some wrinkled up xerox copy of something you printed at home on an aging ink jet. You're making enough on each meal to spend a little. For the prices of these meals, we really do expect a decent menu. Type out what's in things, don't make people guess and get rid of the paragraph of food disclaimer at the top. No one (except me) even read it... and it just did not help anyway. Oh, and fire Mr Bush and get a real waitress in there. He's actively declining your business.

2  Thank anonagirl
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Really great meal and service. Enjoyed the atmosphere and attention. Had a wonderful lunch with my wife but will definitely go back for dinner!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Everything we had this week was fabulous & Gretchen is an amazing chef. I can not say enough of wonderful things about Hobo's.....so go and eat!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We dined here a week ago. Prior to our visit we heard some good and bad things about the restaurant. For us unfortunately, the bad things out weighed the good things.
We dined outside and not inside. We did go inside to have a look around and it seemed nice, but it did some more like a café than a fine dining restaurant. By the prices I would say this is a fine dining establishment.
The food was expensive and it’s average. None of our meals were outstanding, just average. Our waitress was very persistent and kept pestering us and wanted to rush us through dinner, but we wanted to relax and enjoy ourselves. I would understand if they wanted to turn the table if they were busy with people waiting, but that wasn’t the case. It was a quiet night.
Our table was wobbly and so was the chair. The seating is crammed because they have too many tables. The lighting was poor. The bathrooms (both) were disgusting. I got a glimpse of the kitchen and storage areas and I wish I hadn’t. The place felt dirty the minute we walked in and from what I could tell it was. For the money we spent and for the quality of food we received we were not impressed at all. We won’t be going back.

6  Thank buchanan913