“Not Family Friendly”

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
marlton - NJ
“Not Family Friendly”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We just returned from this Holiday Inn Express in Rehoboth Beach and if you want a hotel for a group this is not the hotel for you. As we had taken 16 rooms at this hotel for our baseball tornament at Sports At the Beach. The parents had decided to gather in the lobby to hang out to talk and have a few drinks. The desk manager told us we weren't allowed to stay in the lobby, so we suggested we go in the breakfast room and he told us we couldn't go in there either. He told us we had to go back to our rooms. It is only 9:00 PM and we didn't want to go to our rooms so we just stayed in the lobby, he had had nerve to call the police on a bunch of 40 and 50 year old adult who were just talking in the lobby. We travel all over for tournaments and never had we had a problem. So if you just want to stay in your room this hotel is for you, rooms are small and expensive for a stupid Holiday Inn, not many amenties. We had 16 rooms at $400 each family I guess they don't need the money, this guy at the front desk was one nasty guy. Don't recommend this hotel and would suggest the Hampton Inn right down the street.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you plan on going to your room when you return from whatever your are doi...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank NJbeachlover007
Chris B, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback, NJbeachlover007. I appreciate you using TripAdvisor as a tool to voice your opinions and concerns but find it surprising you don't find yourself more reflective and remorseful about your behavior this past weekend, even after having written it out.
To call our hotel "Not Family Friendly" is a bit misleading seeing as our reason for calling the police on "a bunch of 40 and 50 year olds" was specifically because of families - dissatisfied families you offended with the drunk and disorderly behavior your group displayed while drinking in our lobby. The Group Code of Conduct you signed upon check-in is clear about what areas are provided for group use, and the associated hours. Despite being provided alternatives for gathering space and time, you chose to do things on your own terms causing issues for other hotel guests and multiple staff members. The purpose of the Code of Conduct is to help ensure all guests have an enjoyable, quiet stay, and it was born out of the need to curb behavior demonstrated by poorly-behaved groups, not dissimilar to yours. Let it be known we will not tolerate juvenile, belligerent behavior by some to affect the satisfaction of all.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Mt Holly
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My wife and I were staying two nights at this hotel. We arrived late Friday morning and was able to check right in. Small, quite and clean looking hotel. Gentleman at front desk was very friendly and helpful upon checking in, and even greeted me as a Gold Club Member with Holiday Inn.
We were up early Saturday morning and out of our room by 8:45am to hike the many trails in the local area of the hotel. After hiking more than 12 miles, we came back to our room to freshen up around 3:00pm, only to find our room was untouched by the cleaning staff. I went to the front desk to ask why our room was not cleaned and the gentleman at the front desk said, I can't answer than I have not talked to them, but I'm sure they will get to it. We decided to walk across the street to the outlet stores and come back later when our room was cleaned. At 3:30pm we went back to the front desk to another gentleman and said can you please make sure our room gets cleaned before we return at 4:15pm so we can shower before our dinner with business clients. The man at the front desk said, I cannot give you an answer when it will be done. We returned at 4:15pm, it's now been 71/2 hours and our room was still not attended to.
Needless to say anymore, their warm greeting at check in was short lived, and it does not matter whether you are a club member of Holiday Inn or not, you were not going to be treated any other way then their way, and I must say that was very poor. Not one of the two front desk gentleman ever said, I will call and find out why your room is not done, or I will send them immediately, they just said and did nothing.
After the fact when I spoke to the guy at the front desk again about the room not done yet, and his rude reply was "I'm sorry but we are busy" What ever that meant? I took it as being to busy to take care of your guests. I then asked to see a manager, he said there is no manager on duty today and none tomorrow. I said ok thank you, this will all show in my review of your hotel and ended our conversation. Shortly after he called the room to inform us that he contacted the manager, and will be giving us a small discount on our stay. Really! First of all the manager was not even courteous enough to speak to us themselves, and thanks for making us uncomfortable here's a small discount. That's like a chef serving you spoiled fish for dinner, then saying sorry the dinner was bad, dessert is on us.
No, our room never did get cleaned, but they did bring us clean towels after we begged for them.
What a shame, I expected more from Holiday Inn, and if I have to answer would I stay here again, I would have to think hard because I am partial to Holiday Inn's, but my answer would be "probably not." To many other hotels close by that may offer you more comfort and better service. I would recommend staying somewhere else, to avoid the same discomfort we experienced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Posttime
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Posttime,
Please contact me at 302-227.4030 extension 137. I did receive your voice mail, but the date and time you were available to speak with me, I had already had scheduled meetings.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express, which means it's reliably comfortable and good. It's about 2 miles from the Rehoboth Boardwalk so you'll likely need to drive or bike to the beach. Close to the outlets and reasonably priced. Staff is professional and helpful. My only complaint is that the pillows were a little too big for comfort, but I like soft, squishy pillows.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear East_Coaster,
Thank you for sharing your experience with our hotel. our local area and our team members. Your information offers fellow travelers knowledge to assist them when traveling to our area and/or making accommodation decisions.
Our 'big' pillows you mentioned, are the new IHG brand standard for all Holiday Inn Express'. Our queen size beds have queen size pillows, both soft and firm (delighted to read you enjoyed our "soft' ones) and our King beds have king size pillows, with the soft and firm options as well. We do have standard size pillows available upon request and we will be delighted to bring some to your room during your next stay with us.
Safe journeys!
Millsboro, Delaware
Reviewed 17 March 2014

We were pleased with our stay at the Holiday Inn Express. Conveniently located along the shopping strip and a short drive to the beach. Staff was friendly, breakfast was delicious and the room was clean. The shower was a little odd as I'm 5ft tall and had to bend down to rinse my hair. Would return to again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Chris B, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review, Madelyn H! We appreciate your comments which future travelers will indeed find helpful.

Regarding the shower, your height concern seems indicative that you occupied one of our ADA room types. These showers have two heads - one overhead and one handheld. By the sounds of it, it would appear the handheld option was engaged and that it was secured to the latch on the adjustable bar. This bar allows for variable heights for those with disabilities to find a comfortable spray height. I apologize if the operation for this feature wasn't more easily understood and I'll take a look at ways we might be able to make its function more obvious for future guests. Thanks for the information!

We hope to see you again the next time your travels bring you to Rehoboth but until then we wish you safe travels!

Best Regards,
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

If you have ever been coolest to the rehoboth outlets after Christmas, you know what the chaos can be like. Add a family visit and freezing cold temperatures to the mix and it's really not fun. The Holiday Inn Rehoboth was a perfect hotel for my husband and I to "hide" away from the crowds. The hotel is located right off the main road, but wits back a little so there is basically no road noise at all. Plenty of well lit parking. Our room was spacious, the rate could not be beat. The housekeeping was impeccable and breakfast was delicious. Each time we passed through the lobby a friendly staff member greeted us. Although this hotel is not super new, trendy or upscale, it is offers larger than most rooms, a small fitness center and outdoor pool. My husband enjoyed a little alone time right before check out in the comfy lobby with big screen tv and fish tank. We would definitely stay here again. Thank you Holiday Inn for truly caring about our stay. We used to stay elsewhere in Rehoboth, but are very glad to have made the switch.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear GroovinaB,
Yay!! What a heartwarming review of our property and our team! We couldn't be anymore excited to know that you and your husband's stay with us was everything we want all of our guests to experience.
Our team strives to provide that "home-away-from-home" feeling. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you and your family a warm environment during your visit here.
We also can not thank you enough for considering us your 'home-away-from-home" during your future visits!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 25 December 2013

There is plenty of parking on the exterior and well lit. Hotel is far off the highway and isolated; very quiet location. There is gas, food and liquor store within walking distance of the property. Staff members were very friendly. (I visit this property every Christmas when I visit my parents) The staff remembered me from the previous year and even gave me the same room I had previously. Rooms are spacious, clean and good lighting with large flat screen tv's. Bathrooms are large and great when traveling with someone else. Heat and cooling work great with digital controls for temp. Breakfast consists of "Holiday Inn Express" fare. Eggs, biscuits and gravy, bacon or sausage, pancake machine and famous cinnamon rolls. Additionally, they offer cold cereals, muffins, toast, bagels and OJ/Coffee/Milk. I must say the breakfast area is clean, well staffed and offer a great value. Lobby is quiet with ample seating, fish tank and pleasant.
The Holiday Inn Express is my first choice when in the Rehoboth Beach area.

Room Tip: Lower levels are great for elderly folks.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
DawnHeck, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Dear 95Traveler,

We are humbly gracious by your glowing recommendation of our hotel and your kind words about our team members.
The details you mentioned within your review will go a long way in helping to guide other fellow travelers with their decision as to what hotel property best fits their needs and expectations when they travel to our area.
We realize you have many choices of accommodations when visiting Rehoboth Beach and we are utterly delighted that you continue to choose our hotel as your home-away-from-home.
We wish you and yours the best in the upcoming New Year!
Best Wishes!
Dawn Heck, GM
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Nice stay. Rooms nice. Thought we booked a king room and upon arrival were given a room with 2 doubles. They were very accomodating in giving us a king room. Close to everything on route one. Quiet at night

• Stayed November 2013
Chris B, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Rehoboth Beach, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thanks, Kristine E, for your feedback! I'm delighted to hear you had a nice stay while our guest in November. I'm sorry for any confusion over the room type you were given upon arrival but I'm very pleased to hear we were able to get you assigned to one that fit your expectation and needs. Thank you for mentioning our quiet location - sitting back off the highway certainly provides our guests with peace and quiet to help better ensure a restful night's sleep.

Thank you for allowing us to serve your lodging needs while you visited the Rehoboth area. If we can be of assistance in the future, I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel! Safe travels and happy holidays in the meantime.

Best Regards,