“Great Location, Shame about the property”
Review of Sandcastle Motel

Sandcastle Motel
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed 18 August 2012

This was our first stay at the Sandcastle Motel, its the height of the summer season and we just wanted a night at the beach, so choice was limited. On arrival the guy at the front desk was friendly and efficient with our check in. Thats where the smiles stopped. We went to the room and on entering it smelt of Bleach (ok it was clean) but the decor was grubby, carpet was filthy and my 11 year old daughter, just looked at me! the look said it all and to be honest I felt the same way. But we were only there for 1 night and the location of the motel was ideal, a couple of blocks from the beach, had free parking and free Wifi. We didnt venture to the pool, to be honest I never used the shower, not because it wasnt clean, but it just felt unclean. Such a shame, a little attention to the paint and decor would lift this motel into the 21st century.

Room Tip: Its a lucky dip
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Jimmish

Reviewed 5 August 2012

This hotel would be a great candidate for the Hotel Impossible TV show. The location is awesome, and the coffee bar and front desk are great, but the awesome stops there. The hallways are scary, dimly lit with paint chips peeling. The elevator area by the parking area is in disrepair and dirty. The room was ok, with a dated bedspread, seemed pretty clean but taking a closer look there was a lot of dirt at the hair dryer. It looked like the cord hadn't been wiped in months. I used a towel to hold the dryer. The pool area looked nice and it was nice to be able to use the bathroom there to shower and freshen up before the drive home. All in all I wouldn't stay there again, since the room was nearly $200 and the overall ambiance of the hotel wasn't nice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Holly_Traveler_9
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Traveled here this weekend with my husband and daughter for a lacrosse tournament. We just needed a clean place to stay for two nights that was close enough to the tourney site while allowing us to sneak in some beach time. The Sand Castle was in the perfect location and was cheap, comparatively speaking. The decor was non-existent and the elevators and hallways down right scary. This being said, I would stay here again. The rooms are outdated with simple white walls and no real decorations to speak of. But the beds (1 King and 1 Single) were incredibly comfortable, the a/c very efficient on 94 degree + temps, and the bathroom had all the basics needed. All of this being said, it was incredibly clean and that was what was most important to us in the long run.

Would I spend a week at this hotel? Absolutely not. Would I spend another weekend here? No doubt about it.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank RJCurran
Reviewed 28 June 2012

This was absolutely the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. The room was dirty and there was a nasty stain on the inside of the comforter on our bed. The bathroom had dirt on the floor and the carpet throughout the room was overall filthy. When it was time for us to leave, the elevator was broke so we had to carry all of our luggage down the steps. We will never stay there again!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 694Sherry
Reviewed 30 May 2012

This hotel was part of my first experience with Rehoboth 2 years ago, during Memorial Day Weekend. I wanted to spend very little on accommodations, to allow more to be put towards libations and such; but, enough about my budgeting practices.
The Sandcastle Motel is conveniently located, just across the street from Aqua and a block from Blue Moon, you are sure to be able to find your way back after a night at the parties. The staff is friendly, when they are available, and I don't ever remember hearing the knock of a housekeeper, though they did come by. They came by to clean the rooms which are utilitarian, small, and as I have experienced on multiple occasions: somehow broken. One room had a broken sink and faucet, the other a broken screen door. The motel could do with a renovation.
The pool is not maintained very well, and would recommend not taking a dip in it. The suntanning deck however, is perfect, and a great spot to people watch the streets below.
So what is a good summary? Sandcastle Motel: When you care enough to spend the very least.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank BRelaxinthesun
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Stayed last summer during our usual trip to the beach. It's a little old and missing the amenities of a newer fancy hotel, but you get exactly what you pay for. The bed was comfortable enough, the bathroom was clean, a/c unit worked fine, small balcony so we could dry out our towels during the evening, and we didn't have any issues with the noise levels at night. The location is perfect, a very short walk to the beach, and the free parking spot is worth the price alone. We parked our car when we arrived and didn't even have to think about it until we left.

One additional note worth mentioning was my encounter with the staff. I had booked a few months in advance, and about a week before we arrived I got a promotional email that listed a huge discount right during our travel week. I had already paid for half of the bill, so I called to see if they would honor their sale on my balance. I explained the situation to the guy on the phone and it was a simple 'no problem, I'll make a note on your reservation.' No arguing, no convincing, just an easy fix. When I arrived, I expected to have to explain it again, or make the request again, but before I could even bring it up, the gentleman checking us in said 'oh and it looks like you have a reduced rate on your balance.' Easy and simple. Oh, and we easily arrived about three hours before check-in time and they still let us into a room that was ready. Customer service like that goes a long way.

If you're looking for an extremely convenient place and don't need additional frills and pampering, then this is exactly what you're looking for.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Bizzleton
Reviewed 16 April 2012

It's cheap, has a great location, covered parking and a friendly staff. Now the bad: the rooms look like you stepped back to 1982. The elevator has a mind of it's own and the framing is rusted out. The indoor pool area is gross with mold growing in the pool and old wood on the walls that needs to be replaced. NOISY when the fire dept. alarm goes off next door or when the dumpsters are emptied. I stayed a Friday nite, Saturday night and Sunday night, OFF SEASON for about $205 total for one person.Rooms have no real view, but the front public terrace off of the pool is fun for people watching on Rehoboth Av.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the EAST side of the building, it HAS to be quieter!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo