“1 Star only because there's no zero”
Review of Summer Place Hotel

Summer Place Hotel
Newark, Delaware
“1 Star only because there's no zero”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked this hotel through American Express Travel. I figured I was getting a great deal because it was the off season and I was booking a one night stay. I couldn't have been more wrong ; $7 would have been too much for this hole.
We were greeted in the cluttered lobby and the clerk explained that they were "rearranging some things" After we were handed the keys and made our way down the hall to our room, we opened the door only to find complete disappointment waiting on the other side. The king bed was shoehorned into the room, leaving about 18 inches all around to navigate. No closet, only wire shelves along one wall. We turned back to the door and that's when we noticed the substantial build up of MOLD in the corners. Not a little, or a spot, but floor to ceiling around the door frame. There was also mold around both sides of the door to the tiny unkempt bathroom, on the bathroom walls, and in the stand-up shower stall (no tub here). There was also mold creeping along the wall to that wire shelf where, sadly, the extra blanket was kept. We stayed about 4 minutes in the room and when we walked back to the lobby to complain we found that no one was there. Not in the lobby, not in the office, not on the front porch. No clerk or management (I assume that's the same person anyway). We re-packed our car and called AMEX to complain about the supposed 3 star accommodations. Helpful as they were, they had no luck reaching the hotel at three different numbers, so we booked 5 miles down the highway and fled from this monstrosity. The next morning we find that the hotel tacked on about $15 to what they told me was a "paid in full" stay - waiting for my charge to post so I can dispute the charges from this disgustingly misrepresented "hotel". Please take a look at the photos, they will clearly show that, if anything, I have understated the deplorable conditions.

Room Tip: Rooms at any property in Rehoboth Beach are better than this. If this is the only room available, c...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Harold B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I've been there for one week in room 23 with 2 friends of mine. Everything was great! Low price=good quality. 3 minutes walk to beach. I think lowest prices in Rehoboth. Nice owner - Dan.
We enjoyed it, thanks Dan!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
fontana, california
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you are frugal and conservative with your finances - as I am, then this is the place in Rehoboth Beach to stay. It's only one block away from the beach and within walking distance from shops and restaurants. There is no price comparison for this location! Staff and management are friendly and accommodating. Although the rooms are not so spacious, they do have all of the amenities of the "chain hotels". (mini fridge, a/c, microwave, table & chairs) If you need parking that can be accommodated with a parking permit on the street, if all of the spaces are full in the hotel parking lot. I definitely will be returning, as this hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My wife & I recently attempted to stay at this hotel (if you want to call it that).

We entered the room and were utterly disappointed. The room had a broken down air conditioner, with clear openings to the street., which caused the room to be very cold and drafty. The room was otherwise very old, tiny, and not well maintained. There was only a light blanket for the bed, which we were afraid to sleep in. The bathroom wasn't much more than what you would expect at a camp. Since we had a number of belongings that would have had to be taken up to the room, it was very difficult to do so due to the very narrow and winding stairs to the 2nd floor. The photographs on the internet, publicizing the rooms in the hotel, looked nothing like the room we were given. The hotel did not appear to be very safe and secure.

Since we were not at all comfortable in staying at the hotel, we drove to look for another place to stay. Once we had found an alternative (which was now much more expensive), we made other arrangements. When I returned the next day to return the keys, the front entrance was dark and no one was to be found. My only alternative was to leave the keys in an envelope on the check-in counter, including a written message of my disappointment with the whole situation.

I sent a written request to the hotel manager stating that I would appreciate a refund of the reservation. I have heard nothing to-date,even though I have now contacted them three times now.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Chuck and Liz G

Travellers are raving about these Rehoboth Beach hotels

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Okay, Here is Gimpy Grandma, pushing 83 now and my hearing has NOT improved since last I wrote telling the story of "the non functioning refrigerator" I asked to be exchanged for one that works. The "man in charge" has a natural poker face which never changed as he turned a switch and said, matter of factly, "You gotta turn it on".' No hint of sarcasm.
Went back there this year again, beach is one block away, and discovered that - after diving into the surf, which I had done all my life, I got rolled each time trying to get back up on the sand. So, I asked"the man in charge" if there were swim access on the bay-side. He replied and it sounded to me like "Go to the Rusty Water", kindly gave me instructions how to get there. Turns out this very nice funky restaurant at Dewey is called "Rusty Rudder" AND they had a Bob Marley Concert that night, outdoors under the stars by the Bay. Went straight back there next night..............If I live so long, I'll be back in 2014! Gimpy Grandma (got a scooter now)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Bolivia-USA
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is the worst hotel I have been, very, very dirty not friendly at all.....not worth it!
The actual was loud, the bed not clean, insects on the floor.
Parking not easy, location was fine you can walk to the main street if you wish.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Pinqhi
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2013

If you need a VERY basic room within 1 minute of the boardwalk and beach this is a great place... Furniture in the rooms isn't new, but is in good repair although the rooms are not very roomy at all. Management was nice and housekeepers promptly provided extra towels. Good room if you are on a budget. Save the money for something fun with very abundant nice restaurants and bars just around the block from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple