“Nicely decorated, clean, affordable and friendly- but far away”
Review of Canalside Inn

Canalside Inn
Ranked #5 of 14 Rehoboth Beach B&B and Inns
Washington, D.C.
“Nicely decorated, clean, affordable and friendly- but far away”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Canalside Inn from August 20 to 22. The representative working at the front desk when we checked in (and at all other times during our stay) was very friendly and helpful. I think he stayed late (past 10 pm) on August 20 just so that we could check in. He graciously allowed us to store our bags at the Inn after checkout on August 22 for several hours.

The Inn is nicely decorated (I liked the blue walls and the little lamps with beads on them), very clean, and has a great shower. The bed in our room was also very comfortable. The pastries, bagels, etc. provided in the morning for breakfast were tasty and tided us over until lunch. The Inn is located in a very quiet area, and there are no children allowed as guests at the Inn, so our stay there was very peaceful. Also, the free Internet access at the Inn worked well- much better than at some other hotels we've stayed at.

The price of our stay at the Inn was very affordable, compared to most places in Rehoboth, which was a major reason why we stayed there. However, I'd recommend that you drive if you stay here, since it is quite far away from the shops and the beach. We took a long-distance bus to Rehoboth, and it was quite a schlep to walk to and from the beach every day several times- I'd estimate that it takes 15-20 minutes to walk to where all the shops are, and 25 minutes to get to the actual beach. We did figure out how to take the bus to and from the beach, and we did that a couple of times, but it's not that convenient. It would also be nice to ride a bike to the beach or elsewhere, and bikes are provided (for free, I think) by the Inn, but when your husband doesn't know how to ride a bike, that is not an option, unfortunately.

We saw a lot of dogs and their owners staying at the Inn- it seems that the Inn's policy of allowing pets at the inn is a big draw for pet owners. We love dogs and the other guests were very friendly, and we didn't have any issues with dogs being noisy or anything like that. Most of the other guests seemed to have brought their cars with them. I have a feeling that guests with dogs drive to Henlopen Beach, where dogs are allowed, and not Rehoboth Beach.

So, all in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Inn, but if we stayed there again, we'd definitely drive. And I might consider staying somewhere a bit closer to the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCtripster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 August 2010

We had a wonderful stay in Rehoboth Beach at the Canalside Inn. Rooms are spacious with a lovely contemporary style and very comfortable. The lounge where breakfast was available each morning was beautifully appointed. Our hosts were very friendly and helpful. They provided great suggestions on local restaurants. The Inn also provided bikes, beach chairs and umbrellas for a easy ride to the shore.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I have never written a bad review in my life. I find that while I travel a lot I have never had a stay like this.
When we arrived we asked to use the bathroom they said no. So until our room was ready that we had to prepay for we had to leave and find a bathroom elsewhere.
Than we got into our rooms and we were treated like they were doing us a favor.
I paid almost $300 dollars a night and had never been treated so rude.
We could not go any where else because they had demanded we prepay for our stay.
So there for we spent 4 days at a hotel with the most uncomfortable people running it.
We do not want anyone else to save their money for a trip and have this feeling for 4 days. Please do yourself a favor dont stay here!

8 Thank daddy1234090
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Nicely done at a $200 price point in high season ! Pristine room, detailed perfectly. You can see they care. Value is outstanding given package. Not near beach, "no turn-down" fancy stuff, but very good for what is is.. You feel "safe" which can't be overlooked. Dogs loved it! Hospitality room has 2 flat-screen TV's, satisfying continental breakfast. Dont' expect lap pool!

We'd give it a "10" for value, but I have one complaint. I'm in commercial real estate and could not connect to the internet, a major problem if you''re trying to do a deal. I had a signal and there was nothing wrong with my laptop. This was a "twilight zone-like" experience as it appeared that owners reserved internet connection to a particular group of guests. I took my laptop to the desk and Steve acted like he'd never seem a computer, even though he worked on one all day.

Appearance to me was that it was a largely gay clientel, although of no consequence to us, we felt slightley out-of-place..

Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed 19 June 2010

My partner and I arrived at the Inn on June 12 and stayed until June 18. Before going into my review let me state a couple of myths untrue. Steven although others have stated he was quiet or unfriendly was just the opposite. I dont know if people realize you have to talk to someone to get a conversation. Steven greeted us and our two dogs quite graciously. We checked in and our room was ready. Steven walked us up to our room and walked in to check and make sure everything was ok for us. Our room was #12 on the second floor. It was beautiful. Not a hotel room but a bedroom. The color scheme is exactly as seen in the picture on line. It was a kingsize room finished in a beautiful sand color with accent of ocean blue with white trim. Tray ceiling in the bedroom as well as a ceiling fan and great aircondioner. The room also offered good closet space, a nice flat screen tv, a small fridge with nice lighted shelving over top. And spread around the room were some accent vases from pier one as well as some coral. The room offered french doors that lead to a balcony. The balcony was very large and shared with others. Remember there are only 12 rooms. The view was looking at the canal. Now some state that the place is not right on the canal but across the street. Let me clarify the street is a very small street that maybe a car every half hour goes by and the street runs right into the Inns parking lot. So in essence the Canal is across the parking lot. Maybe 50to 75 feet. If the Inn were any closer it would be built in the Canal:) The room also offered a nicely done bathroom, although a little older it was very nicely done. Downstairs offered a very large living room with several couches and chairs along with two large flat screens on the wall with surround sound, and plenty of dvd's to choose from. They also offer WiFii in room and on site as well as a computer for your use if you didnt bring one. Breakfast consisted of bagels, gourmet muffins, fruit, yogurt, cold cereals. Orange juice as well as coffee to drink. Just enough to get your day started. On the backside of the Inn they have a large plunge pool which was really refreshing. They also have a great hot tub at 103 degrees. Calming music was piped in around the Inn and everyone staying were more than friendly, and many with there pets. And speaking of pets, the canal is a great place to walk your dog. Just dont forget to pick up after them. The canal has picnic tables and benches. You are only a 2 block walk from 7elven and just a couple of blocks from what we discovered the best home cooked food, Crystals Restaurant (it is rated on tripadvisor). We did not take advantage but they also have beach bikes as well as chairs they will lend you. Also great bath products as well as a bathrobe, hairdryer, iron and board. And staying here it is a must to take a walk around the neighborhood of 700thousand dollar beach cottages. I would highly recommend The Canalside Inn to anyone without hesitation. And Anna the housekeeper was a lovely young girl. Kudos to the Canalside Inn PS. they are adult only!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnnjon
mechanicsburg
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I, my husband, & our dog stayed here for a weekend getaway. We absolutely loved the place & look forward to staying again. We were on the first floor & I believe it was room 4. It was decorated beautifully & all the comforts of home. The owners were away the weekend we were ther but the gentleman that was taking care of the place was an absolute delight. I cannot say enough goof things about this place.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 22 May 2010

My beach house was rented and I needed a place to stay for one night. I have noticed this place for years so I thought I would give it a try. The guys who run it do a great job. The room and bath room was a moderate size - not too big but not small either. The hot tub was very nice and the small pool looked nice too (it was too chilly to go in). They put out a nice breakfast. The community room is well appointed with flat screen TVs and a computer. It's a good walk to the bars and restaurants in town (not too far). It's in a quiet location along the ... you guessed it ... canal. I will definitely send friends to stay here when my beach house is full or unavailable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends