“3 Great Nights!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crosswinds Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Crosswinds Motel
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Chestertown
“3 Great Nights!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Had a quick family getaway, as we work in the hospitality business & it can be very challenging this time of year! My husband & I have worked in the industry for 25+ years & can say w/o hesitation this is a lovely spot. It is scrupulously clean-frankly I'm rather picky about that & I can normally always find something! I was stunned. The property is very well maintained. Conveniently located on beach road a few blocks from the boardwalk, but set back so there was never an issue with noise, & close to a myriad of food & shopping options. If you have kids, it is a hike to playland etc. so you may want to bring bikes or just be prepared for that. The staff was super friendly & accommodating. No, our room was not an enormous suite-but we weren't planning on moving in. It was totally doable-nice selection of Keurig for my mornings, the beds were comfy with lots of pillows, the water was hot, we had a fridge for our snacks/drinks & a handy ice machine for the cooler & much to my husbands delight a sizable HDTV with plenty of channels-he didn't have to miss any of the Orioles games. The other reviews helped us choose this place & they all make many similar points-but here's one that I loved & no one seems to notice........the parking is covered & shaded. Yea! Whenever we drove somewhere our car was cool & pleasant-not a blazing inferno from baking in the sun all day.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank ValerieEasternShore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I booked our first trip to Rehoboth late in the season so we picked Crosswinds on price point, availability, and walking distance to the beach, not to mention the TripAdvisor photos showed a boutique style (a step up from other musty late 70's motels). We were there strictly for beach and awesome food. Check in was a breeze: we were greeted by the friendly and knowledgeable proprietor Rita who immediately hooked us up with maps, coupon books, and recommendations for dining and shopping. Our king bed room was cozy, clean and chic. I loved the stone tiling with cute little runner carpets and modern furniture! The bed was a little firm but warm at night with plenty of soft pillows. A couple times our cleaned sheets were a little stained but that didn't bother us. Shower had very hot water and good pressure with nice toiletries including make-up removal towelettes, a shaving mirror, and a Keurig, but bring your own conditioner. There was also an ironing board and a hair dryer that we didn't use. We had a mini-fridge which we stocked with beer and we had easy access to ice for our cooler. The in-room safe can accommodate a smaller laptop or iPad. Drawer space was plentiful, good amount of outlets and USB charging ports, and there are plenty of places to hang up wet suits/towels and stow suitcases. Grounds were well-kept, and I liked the double Adirondack chairs and stand-up ashtrays at the corner of each floor which made it easy for smokers like me. We never saw the cleaning crew but they did a great job - no sandy floors and replacement of everything we needed. Free self-parking was a great perk but we wound up not needing it. This place is on the main strip and close to everything including an awesome grocery/deli and a Starbucks right across the street, next door to the Dogfish Head Pub, and across the street from a fabulous sushi restaurant. We were right down the street from the public library, bike rentals, beach shops, candy stores, our top picks for restaurants, and of course the beach right by the bathrooms, arcades, and boardwalk treats. For the price we had an amazing stay and will definitely be returning. The rooms are a bit tight so if you're looking for spacious you might be disappointed. This is as good as motels get!

A couple less-than-stellar points: we had free wifi despite the website listing it as being available for a fee, but you get what you pay for. We brought our laptop but couldn't stream anything or play games. Also, the tv channels are pretty limited (no Comedy Central or Cartoon Network which are our staples) but you do get free HBO! Also the AC units are little noisy so if you're a light sleeper it might bug you.

For the curious: My husband and I are big foodies and all the places we ate at were fantastic from top to bottom. The breakfast sandwiches at Grub Grocery across the street were delicious and they even have a Little Free Library out front. We caught a cheapo but tasty brunch at the Robin Hood Diner which serves breakfast all day. For lunch we loved Go Fish! which had the BEST fish and chips outside the UK and their famous toffee pudding. Loved our happy hour dinner at Cilantro - affordable well-crafted Mexican like ceviche, chile rellenos, and flan (skip the over-priced Dos Locos and the underwhelming Mariachi). Don't miss the Cultured Pearl for high-quality sushi and filet mignon teriyaki appetizer, or the Henlopen City Oyster House for some of the best raw bar eats and seafood dishes I've ever had along with tip-top service. Also don't be swayed by the super busy Candy Kitchens that are everywhere and go for Snyder's instead, a locally owned long-running establishment with extensive bulk gummies, gourmet chocolate confections, and retro candies. As for women's shopping there are plenty of spots for casual upscale but if you like hip dresses (think Mod Cloth) you simply must stop at Downtown Cowgirl.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Becca O
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife & I always found this place clean, quiet and friendly ...until our last stay. It was still clean and the staff friendly but the experience was terrible.

We've stayed at the Crosswinds many, many times over the years without complaint but our last horrible experience, the lack of adequate response from the management (so far), and what I find to be a fatal flaw in the running of the motel will, unless policies are changed, keep us from ever having a stay there again.

The following is the letter I sent to the management of the Crosswinds detailing our experience. It has yet to be responded to (if it is responded to I'll update my review):

-----

To the management of the Crosswinds Motel,

My wife reserved a room for us for two nights at your motel for the evenings of Saturday July 26th and Sunday the 27th. This was to be an all too brief vacation for the two of us as we have done virtually every year for more than a decade (My wife has been staying with you for nearly two decades). I believe that tradition has most likely come to an end as well as our enthusiastic endorsement and recommendation of the Crosswinds to family and friends.

After we checked in Saturday afternoon (yesterday) we took a brief nap as we had a very early morning and late evening the night before. We were awoken by loud music around 4 (which I originally believed was coming from the street). Upon opening the door (Room 310) we realized it was our neighbors (309), a group of teens/twenty-somethings who were playing extremely loud music out on the balcony and were obviously commencing their day of partying. As sound generally does not travel much into the rooms at your motel the sound level had to be quite excessive to have woken us in our rooms. We should have realized the inevitable outcome and cancelled right then and there and left. Unfortunately we hoped it was an isolated incident and left for dinner and an evening on the boardwalk.

We returned around 11 and retired for the evening, looking forward to a couple more days at Rehoboth. Sometime between 1 and 1:30 in the morning we were awakened (as I can't imagine many others at the Motel weren't also awakened) by the sound of a very large group of drunken kids screaming, singing at a partying scream level and running back and forth along the 3rd floor balcony into and out of the rooms. It was at this point I realized we were actually bookended by this party as they were apparently in rooms 309 and 311 (at least).

We tried to remain hopefully patient for it to subside to no avail. After a good half hour in exasperation we tried to call the front desk (no one at all is available through the night at the motel?). We then called the police. Sometime later there was a lot of shuffling of the kids running to the different rooms as the police apparently must've driven by or into the parking lot (by now it is after 2 in the morning). This lowered the rabble for a short time which then quickly began escalating again presumably after the police left.

Sometime later (probably around 3 in the morning) we called the police again as the ruckus was unceasing and again escalating and there was no possibility of sleeping through it. The policeman at the other end of the line made clear his aggravation with us calling about this but fortunately did finally send out officers who then came to the parties rooms. I can't imagine we were the only occupants who called the police though we were the ones who were roomed between the parties and I'm sure bore the brunt of the episodes.

After a long chat between the police and the rooms (I'm assuming this was around 3:30 or so at this point) the police finally left and the noise reduced to a rumbled din. This was with the exception of a good half an hour or more of them banging on the adjacent wall between their room and ours I presume to 'punish' us for having spoiled their partying. I presume having seen our lights going on and off they naturally (and rightfully) deduced we were the ones who had called the police.

Needless to say we got no sleep last night and decided to return home first thing in the morning as this was a completely intolerable environment to stay in. We didn't realize we had booked a room in the middle of a frat party.

As I've said, we've stayed at your establishment nearly every year for over a decade and always found the motel clean, quiet and friendly but an episode like this is one I will not chance repeating. We felt prisoner in our rooms as we couldn't even step out to the balcony to have a cigarette to help alleviate the aggravation and frustration of enduring such rudeness, ignorance and unpleasantness without stepping into the maw of a large, loud group of extremely intoxicated and hyped up group of drunks.

Finally it should be said that there should be someone available at all hours at any motel/hotel in the event of disturbances and problems. No one being available to help control such a situation between 12 at night and 9 in the morning is not acceptable. We appreciate being refunded for today (Sunday evening) as our vacation was already ruined without chance of relaxation, but we should be refunded for the night we did stay under such unfortunate and unacceptable conditions. Personally as long standing repeated patrons to the Crosswinds Motel and as someone who has worked in management for many years I believe the Crosswinds Motel should not only refund us for our entire stay but should in some way attempt to compensate us for such a horrible unpleasant experience.

efac

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank efac
Harrisburg, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

My husband, our two college age daughters and I stayed here for a long weekend in July. We were able to check in right away and got a room with 2 double beds on the third floor. The room was very clean. It was a little bit small for the four of us, especially the sink area when me and my two daughters were trying to clean up after a day at the beach, but it was tolerable for the three nights that we were there. If you are a family of four, especially if you have grown children, I would suggest booking a larger room. The room itself had a small refrigerator, Keurig with K cups, a large TV and a small table with 2 chairs. There are also 2 ice machines on the premises as well as parking for one vehicle per room, so it was nice to not have to worry about feeding a meter the whole time that we were there. The hotel is about three blocks away from the beach. My family and I are not afraid to do a lot of walking on a vacation. But if you are a family with small children and you're carting a lot of stuff to and from the beach, you might want to book a location closer to the beach. It can be a long three blocks. Especially if the sidewalk along the main drag where the hotel is crowded, which it often is, it can take a long time to get back and forth from the hotel. All of that being said, I really enjoyed staying here. It was very clean, which is very important to me, the staff was very friendly upon check in and check out, and it is convenient to many shops and restaurants in the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank CrowDH
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights - July 20-22 - in a one queen bed room. Had small fridge, flat screen tv & table with 2 chairs. Our room had toilet & sink in one room and tub/shower in separate room with counter & mirror in between which was nice when getting dressed in AM. Our room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were very friendly.
Motel is only 2 doors from Dogfish Head and 2 1/2 blocks from boardwalk - easy to walk anywhere in town. Nice parking area too.
Definitely recommend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mln304
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This motel was awesome! Our room had a keurig machine, huge tv, a magnifying pedestal mirror, and the alarm clock had a dock for iPhones so we could play music and charge the phone. The only thing I would have liked was a microwave and the place doesn't have an elevator and we were on the third floor. Rita (the woman at the front desk) was very helpful and informative too.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Tania S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I believe this may be the best value in Rehoboth Beach. The proprietor was very welcoming and always there. It was a very clean hotel and they are updating/renovating their rooms in a very classy but laid back way. Also was a great place since we were going to be at Dogfish Head Brewpub 2 buildings away. Was a great little walk to the beach that my wife an i made comfortably each time even with a beach bag, two chairs and a beach umbrella. Great little room, nice staff will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple