“Failed to accomodate no smoking room request”
Review of Econo Lodge Resort

Econo Lodge Resort
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We booked this hotel on Orbitz after we it proved too windy to camp as we had planned at Cape Henlopen state park. We requested a nonsmoking room on Orbitz. Upon arrival, they offered us only a smoking room, which smelled like someone chain smoked 10 packs a day for the last decade. It was nasty. We had a small child with us and I am pregnant; despite these facts and despite the fact that the hotel was not full, they refused to change us to a nonsmoking room. They said that they would give us the NS room if we paid for that room ($200/night) on top of the $140 we already paid on Orbitz. Orbitz called them 2X to intercede on our behalf. But nothing worked. HIghly recommend against this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Leah M

Reviewed 29 May 2013

We needed a hotel for an overnight stay, while we visited friends in the area. We used our choice hotel points, because this was 8000 less points than the other choice hotels in the area. As other reviews have said, you get what you pay for. The only way I would stay at this hotel again, is if it was the lowest price in town and I could not afford anything else. For a chain hotel, it is quite dingy. It looks like a place for partiers and those who don't care about trashing a room. We only had one outlet (2 plugs) for the coffee maker, fridge, TV and microwave. We had to keep two of these unplugged. Also, there was not alarm clock in the room. The front office staff was nice, the breakfast area was clean, if a bit small for the number of rooms this place has. Unless you do not have the economic means to go to a higher priced hotel, then avoid this place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank vinijohn
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Right on the strip, right between the outlet malls. Approx. 3 miles from the beaches. Shares a parking lot with Cracker Barrel with other eateries close by (can actually walk, with care, across the highway)! Stayed on the 4th floor in a King nonsmoking room with spa tub. Did not experience noisy neighbors. Only first floor has ice machine. there is also laundry facility. Room itself was nothing fancy, there was a balcony with no real view and a refrigerator. Too cold to swim in pool. Did not eat the breakfast. Went Memorial Day weekend to Rehoboth Beach at last minute, otherwise for the price would have stayed elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try to get the 4 story bldg, back side which is away from traffic and pool.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I can't recommend this hotel for even a night. It isn't worth the 60 bucks I paid. If I stayed in the summer, I would be afraid to swim in the pool based up on their upkeep and cleanliness of the room. I am warning you, I have never stayed at a hotel that had matresses that I bet were over 10 years old. Towels worn thin - you could hear water coming down from the bathrooms in the pipes in the wall.

Room Tip: Get a Room at the Hampton down the street.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DetectiveofTravel
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This place is so awful that we literally turned right back around and left without staying here.

I am shocked that they can actually get people to stay in the rooms. The room they tried to give us was disgusting and reeked of cigarettes. I found that surprising given that when I called ahead I was told, "All of our rooms are non-smoking."

When I called down to the office to ask for a non-smoking room, the foul attitude with legs said I had requested a smoking room, and everything else was suddenly booked up. Hmm, that's odd... Parking lot looked pretty sparse to me. Oh yeah, and then there's always the fact that the sign said there were still rooms available, but okay.

I advised her that I called ahead to confirm the room would be non-smoking because my son is asthmatic, so I would not have ever, ever requested a smoking room. She laughed and said no one would have ever told me that the rooms were non-smoking. Super professional.

Rather than continue, I let her know we would not be staying and asked her to just cancel the reservation. Apparently she wasn't capable of making that happen either.

Thank goodness there is always someone above people like Ms. Useless-and-Needs-a-Lesson-in-Class.

We got the heck outta that cesspool and will never go back. We are still washing the stench out of our clothing. My advice is that you save yourself the headache.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank MsELM
Reviewed 24 April 2013

My recent visit to Rehoboth beach was a quick overnight, so we decided to save a bit of money. What a mistake. This hotel is rundown, and not safe. My friends door didn't lock and they had to prop a chair in front of door when they went to sleep. That is if you can sleep with all the noise from other rooms due to thin walls and toilets flushing next to your head.
Carpets are dirty, walls are stained, and I will go back to the Hampton!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 April 2013

This isn't a dive by any means, but needs some updating. My original reservation was for the Rodeway Inn next door, but somehow got routed to the Econo lodge.
The reservation requires 24 hours notice and I wasn't about to loose a days expenses. They were very nice, but wouldn't concede, so I kept the reservation.
The Rodeway Inn is nicer and the prices are comparable, so next time I'll be more careful when more than one place has the same address.

Room Tip: Nothing to add here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business