“Below average hotel for above average price”
Review of Econo Lodge Resort

Econo Lodge Resort
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Rehoboth Beach
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Hotel was dingy, maid service was poor (new towels, but trash was not taken out, trash taken out, but beds weren't made, etc). I realize this is a resort town, but it's not like it was walking distance to the beach. You can't even see the beach from where the hotel is located. I thought this hotel was very expensive for the quality and the service.

Room Tip: Research the area for prices and quality before booking.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank blueclaws2

Reviewed 19 August 2014

If you are looking for a 3 or 4 star experience for a 2 star price in this resort town you will be disappointed. However, although the room could stand updating, it was clean, linens, carpets and towels were fresh and the a/c worked almost too well :) The beds were comfortable, the pool area was very nice and the complimentary continental breakfast was adequate. The shower pressure was excellent and there was plenty of hot water. Also, the room had a small refrigerator that was perfect for drinks and snacks. This is definitely a no frills experience but for the price ($95 via priceline.com) and the location I was pleased with the experience. Every staff member I encountered from the front desk to the cleaning crew were pleasant. My only hesitation with staying here again would be some of the reviews I've seen here - from the descriptions it would appear that our room was one of the better ones - though wonder if the reviewers were a little nit picky given the price.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor by the pool which I was hesitant about but had no issues with noise or...
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We only stayed because we had been driving awhile and knew we had little chace of finding another room in the area. I took pics but not sure if will send to Econo lodge admin. Air conditioner dials and button panel smashed in and hanging off the unit. So the air was either on or off. The unit itself where the air comes out had a half inch of filth on the grills. The wallpaper was peeling off, ceiling stained and in disrepair, curtains ripped. Furniture chipped and finish worn off. There was a q tip on the floor, (not ours) and hair on the "clean towels". Bathroom door had chip out or the corner bottom by the black corner that was each corner in bathroom (dirt?, mold?) Everything we sat on was sticky. I was suprised when I used the bathroom at night that I didn't see roaches. The bed sheets appeared clean, but when I pulled my pillow away from the headboard it stuck to it.
When we checked in one of the staff was seemingly talking to a perdon checking in but after a ten min wait we reslized they were just visiting. We later saw him outside a room with about 5 women. Looked sketchy to us. Noisr was high at night with people yelling swearing and babies crying. There was a simple bfast in the am.
As someone else said, I am not picky, but I do expect the room to not look this poorly. Who stays here snd is ok with it? Oh, and first impression was overflowing trash cans out side the entrsnce with trash all over the ground.

Room Tip: Seriously don't stay here.
1  Thank mjd909
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

This is a typical hotel in a beach vacation area. $300 a night, with holes in the carpet, stained bathtub, but clean sheets.

There was a fridge in the room (I ended up unplugging it because it was making too much noise). The AC worked great, bed was comfy (or we were too tired to care). Breakfast was the what you would expect; two dry cereals, bread, waffle maker, yogurt, juice and coffee. There was no fruit which disappointed me. However there is a Cracker Barrel in the same parking lot.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alicoc
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I stayed in a balcony room overlooking the pool. The room was clean and big and the air conditioner was excellant. The cleaning lady did an excellant job and the room was cleaned very well. We stayed at this lodge 4 other times and each time it was the same. I will be staying there again next year. I like to fish and my wife likes to lay out at the beach and Lewes is close with the inlet for fishing and a clean beach for my wife to lay in the sun.It is between Lewes and Rehobeth beach, with plenty of places to eat in either dierction.

Room Tip: We stayed in suite 338. The room is big and has a balcony overlooking the pool.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

After a long day at the beach, I was looking forward to sleeping in a nice, comfortable hotel...i was disappointed. First we went to the main lobby and one person staying there was complaining to the workers that somebody was put in their room and had put all of their luggage in his room, which was not a good start to the vacation. When we opened our room, the strong smell of cigarettes covered the whole room, causing all of my clothes and food to smell terrible. There were poorly fixed holes on the doors to the bathrooms...the bathrooms smelled like bleach, urine, and...you guessed it cigarettes. The beds were terribly uncomfortable too. They have free breakfast but the food is basically bought from the local food lion

Room Tip: Higher floors smell of more cigarettes because the smoke rises
1  Thank Wayne F
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I don't think we are terribly hard to please. We like a smile at check-in, a clean smoke-free room, and relative quiet. The noise level was really the only thing that was not a problem. We were staying one night at Rehoboth Beach and decided to go on the "cheap side" ($90 a night is apparently "cheap" in this beach town.) We arrived late in the afternoon to very tired-looking front desk agents - no one smiled, and we did feel welcomed. Granted it was clear a zillion people were on the property, but still... its the job of any front desk staff at a property to warmly welcome an arriving guest. No one offered to assist us with our considerable luggage, so we dragged it all up the dirty stairs. The room (219? facing the pool) smelled of smoke, despite our "non-smoking" request. It was also terribly dated - I don't think it had been renovated since 1979! There were rust marks (or cigarette markings - we weren't sure) all over the adjoining door and in the bathroom. Plaster and wall-paper were peeling off, the toilet was rickety, carpet was ancient, and the bedspreads were a violation of the healthcode - not to mention the old potato chips under the bed, and a range of trash behind all the furniture. It appeared the cleaning staff had vacuumed visible portions of the carpet, but no effort had been made in a decade to really clean thoroughly. The place was sold out, we arrived later in the day, and were tired, so basically out of luck. We thought, "For one night how bad can it be." Yuck - and yes we reported some of this to the front desk staff at check out - THEN we got the smile, but no one really cared, or offered to reduce our charges, or anything a normal hotel would do to make a guest feel comfortable. And the breakfast? If you like looking at tired, sunburned older couples with their screaming brats while eating undercooked cheap breakfast fare, then this is your spot!

BE ADVISED: We have traveled all over the world - Rehoboth Beach is no great place. Save your pennies and spend time at quality beach locales: Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Newport Beach/Catalina in CA, Cannon Beach in OR, the Islands of Puget Sound, Cape Cod, or Ogunquit in ME - ANY of these places have better views, better quality restaurants and hotels, and a less 'run down' chaotic environment.

Room Tip: We did not see a good room - all are dated, and some are in very bad condition
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple