We spent 2 nights at MMP in July 2013. At first we were a little bit disappointed to leave behind the sunny, warm coastal area of Lovina to arrive in the misty and rainy mountains of Munduk. However, at MMP we were greeted with a smile, a flower garland and a welcome drink and - as we arrived before check in time - we were taken on the complementary tour around the plantation first. The guide was lovely but the paths were quite slippery and the plantation seemed a little bit neglected in the areas away from the villas and from the main building. We also came by the tennis court which looked more like a parking lot and was not very well maintained.
After the tour we were taken to our villas (one for the adults and one for our two sons). The villas were wonderful : spacious, clean and very well decorated. The four poster beds with mosquito nets were very comfortable. Lovely in- and outdoor showers, bathtub, two sinks, writing desk, sitting area with a stunning view (as we noticed the next morning when the clouds were gone) and outdoor sitting area. WIFI was adequate but we always lost connection at some point during the evening and we only got it back in the morning after getting a new password from the reception.
There were quite a bit of slippery steps from the villas (3 & 4) to the reception so you need to be careful and in good physical condition. If you are not then we think you should ask for the room above the main building or the 2 bedroom villa. We have seen a golf cart in the parking lot but we think it can only be used on the road towards the newly built 2 bedroom villa. Everywhere else there are stairs.
The staff is friendly and the guide that took us out on the waterfall-trekking was great. The surroundings of Munduk are very lush and you get great views everywhere.
The main building and the pool area are quite small but cosy. When the sun is out (when we were there it was sunny from morning until about 2 pm) you can sit outside on loungers or at tables by the pool or on the grass or by the jacuzzi. Great views from there. The pool was quite cold and not many people seemed to use it. Our children did but they retreated to the jacuzzi quite quickly.
We found that there was not enough sitting area when it rained. The tables in the dining area were usually already set for lunch or dinner and the bar area had only 2 small tables and 4 chairs. So when it rained we had only our rooms to sit. It is nice that you can borrow books, DVD's and board games from the reception area and take them to your room.
The food we had for breakfast and dinner and the lunch that was offered to us during the trekking were excellent. Nicely presented and excellent taste. Cocktails, even though as expensive as everywhere else in Bali, were hit and miss. Don't know what happened to the cocktails we ordered but they were very wrong and we could not finish them.
When we asked how we could get from Munduk to Bedugul to visit the botanical gardens and Bali Tree Tops we were offered a free shuttle. Excellent service.
We found that the spa was good but not exceptional. Again there were quite a bit of slippery stairs to get to the spa.
In short : We found that the lodging, service and food at MMP is excellent. However, you need to be active. There are lots of walks and excursions offered by the hotel to keep yourselves busy. Don't go there if you want to spend time lying in the sun or by the pool or if you are looking for evening entertainment. The surroundings are lovely but there is a price to pay for being high up in the Bali mountains. Be prepared to see some rain or fog even in the dry season. Take a sweater to wear in the evenings.
Room for improvement :
- clean the slippery steps between the villas even though I realize that this is difficult to keep up in a damp and tropical environment;
- explain the trainees (?) at the bar how to make cocktails :)
- provide more sitting area near the main building for when it rains
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Munduk Moding Plantation Nature resort & Spa (MMP) is the only boutique hotel in Bali located on a working coffee plantation producing its own specialty coffees.MMP has some of the best views on the Island as well as an award winning infinity pool. Spread out over 5 hectares and nestling in luxuriant gardens full of tropical flowers and plants, our villas offer unparalleled privacy. Guests can enjoy a beautiful Jacuzzi, a unique Bamboo Spa and Hall, a gym, a tennis and badminton court, horse riding, a sky lounge with a comprehensive library and games room while the MiMPi restaurant serves food made with fresh ingredients from our vegetable and spice gardens. Free Internet, an extensive activity program as well as a shuttle service to nearby places of interest are available on a complementary basis for in house guests. Strategically located near Bali's central lakes and Munduk hill station, this European-Indonesian partnership works to preserve the natural environment in unison with the local community, which it supports through its Munduk foundation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Odigeo, Priceline, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Munduk Moding Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Munduk Moding Plantation Hotel Gobleg