“3rd time the best”

Munduk Moding Plantation
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have been to Munduk Moding Plantation 3 times now and I love it. Munduk is cool in the mountains and a great change from the hotter south. The pool is now heated and fantastic and the view amazing. The staff are very friendly and the food is more traditional which is fantastic.
There is not much to do there other than relax which is great , although there are many lovely walks if you want the exercise.
It is a great place to escape shopping and haggling , the drive there is glorious with coffee and cloves along the side of the road.
If you haven't been to Munduk, you haven't seen the real Bali.
I would really recommend the trip there to escape the south and the Moding Plantation is certainly the place to stay, a bit more expensive but well and truly good value for money.

Room Tip: The garden villas are beautiful for romance , all the rooms are great , room above pool great for gr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank docrob_aust

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Although I had to select as the latest option, October 2012 as time of our travel, our family of 5 actually lived in Bali from 2009-2011 and stayed at MMP twice during our time there - once by ourselves and once with friends who were visiting. Both times we had an excellent experience. The service is impeccable and the staff all very friendly and professional. The rooms were gorgeous with amazing views out over the mountains and down to the sea - there were days when the clouds rolled in and we were above the clouds and - I kid you not - it felt like our own "Cloud City". The area is gorgeous and is a great change from the southern part of Bali which is suffering terribly from the concrete syndrome and overdevelopment. Instead, this area of Bali is still very authentic and very green and lush. Be aware that the infrastructure here is virtually non-existent so the roads are extremely treacherous. We experienced this first hand when friends who were not used to driving these kinds of roads ended up with their car almost falling into a ravine. The staff at MMP literally saved us and our friends' rental car from the villagers who probably would have happily shoved the car down the ravine. Instead, they were able to salvage the car without even a scratch. The manager and staff at MMP definitely went above and beyond the call of duty. If there were any negatives, my only criticism would be in the cost of the food in their restaurant which we found to be tasty & good, but quite high based on our experience having lived and visited other parts of the island.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LindaatTheBeehive
gede S, Executive Assistant Manager at Munduk Moding Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear LindaatTheBeehive,

Thank you for writing a positive comment. It is very rewarding to receive compliments from guests like you who have enjoyed their stay.

On the price of our food, it has been adjusted accordingly.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Your feedback will surely motivate us to always strive and do better than ever … :-)

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This location and facility is just superb. It really is as good as it looks. From the moment you arrive you are treated as a special guest. The villas are private, the outdoor shower (there is one inside too) was a favorite. The extras included were a delight, even chocolate coated strawberries on a plate on our bed when we returned from dinner on one occasion.

The setting and facilities are brilliant; the infinity pool, garden seating, the jacuzzi looking down at the coast, the bar, walks, birds and staff too.

It was nice to get up in the mountains and enjoy clean water, fresh air, cool evenings, luxury, the sounds of genuine rural Bali - and of course that view. On a clear day you could see down to the coast (from 1200m level) and across to a 3,300m inactive volcano on Java.

Room Tip: Villa 1 was closer to restaurant, pool etc and more private.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SueChar37

Dear SueChar37,

Thank you for these kind comments. We are very happy to know that you found our location and facility is superb, the extras included while staying here were a delight and the setting and facilities are brilliant. What is more, we are delighted to know that you enjoyed clean water, fresh air, cool evenings, luxury, the sounds of genuine rural Bali and the view.

We do hope that we will be able to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed 5 nights in mmp in the summer of 2013. Some of my friends had been there and told me that this hotel is absolutely stunning and has something special and warm. Well, they were absolutely right!

Together with my family, I stayed in the 2 bedroom pool villa which is absolutely amazing and has a lovely view!!! The swimming pool is a mini version of the big infinity pool at the restaurant and, just as the big swimming pool, you can make really nice pictures of the sunset! The villa actually consists of 3 separate villa's connected to each other, which means you all have a lot of privacy. The villa is quite far from the restaurant but this isn't really a problem because you've got your own butler who can shuttle you up and down to the restaurant with the golf car. Personally, however, I just loved walking to the restaurant and looking around at the the beautiful nature. The gardens here are probably the most beautiful I have ever seen in a hotel! Everywhere flowers and all kind of different plants and trees. Also the path to the spa has got amazing flowers and trees at the side! You really have a feeling that your are in the middle of the nature and in the garden of Eden (that's how I have decided to call these gardens).

The food is delicious: enak (the Indonesian word)! I really like how they present it; the sate will be served on an actual little grill so that the steam still comes. One evening we ordered a ricetafel which was beautiful and so delicious but a little bit too much! :D

When it's a clear day you can see the mountains in java from the infinity pool which is really stunning! You really have a feeling that your swimming in the clouds. I disagree with some of the reviews that the pool is on the coldish side, my dive computer told me that the pool temperature is 25 degrees centigrade which is comfortable and refreshing. I also love the jacuzzi which has an equally stunning view - I could sit in it for hours.

I used the spa and the horse riding services extensively and found them excellent. I took a body scrub with a massage and an other day I took a manicure and pedicure - especially the body scrub was wonderful: they make it themselves and it's organic! I went for a ride for about two hours. The horses are really sweet, I was sitting on "boleh" and he was absolutely adorable! We went around the neighbourhood with beautiful nature and visited an orchard garden. Finally, I played a game of badminton with the staff who are amazingly good at it and great fun.

Other features I admired were the free daily activities (a comfortable hike around the plantation, coffee possessing, making offerings and even Balinese cooking demonstrations) as well as the traditional Balinese dance shows.
They have 50 children from the local neighbourhood (all girls from age 8-14) who come to mmp every week for a free Balinese dancing lesson which I enjoyed watching: the little ones really take it very seriously and seem very proud.

However, the key thing here is the staff. Like most reviewers I found the people here so so so friendly and helpful: they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and the warmth is really genuine.

Overall this hotel was definitely the best I've stayed in Bali and one of the best I have ever stayed in generally. The hotel/design , friendly staff, delicious food, view, pool, garden and all the extra little things they provide make it an amazing hotel which definitely stands out!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Jojo K
gede S, Executive Assistant Manager at Munduk Moding Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Jojo K,

I, on behalf of the whole team, would like to take this opportunity to thank you for dropping a positive review on Trip Advisor.

We are very happy to know that you enjoyed staying at our brand new two bedroom pool villa. In addition, we are delighted to know that you found the food is delicious, the garden is beautiful and you like the pool, spa, horse riding, view and daily special events.

There is no doubt that your kind words will stimulate us to do better in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We spent 2 nights at MMP in July 2013. At first we were a little bit disappointed to leave behind the sunny, warm coastal area of Lovina to arrive in the misty and rainy mountains of Munduk. However, at MMP we were greeted with a smile, a flower garland and a welcome drink and - as we arrived before check in time - we were taken on the complementary tour around the plantation first. The guide was lovely but the paths were quite slippery and the plantation seemed a little bit neglected in the areas away from the villas and from the main building. We also came by the tennis court which looked more like a parking lot and was not very well maintained.

After the tour we were taken to our villas (one for the adults and one for our two sons). The villas were wonderful : spacious, clean and very well decorated. The four poster beds with mosquito nets were very comfortable. Lovely in- and outdoor showers, bathtub, two sinks, writing desk, sitting area with a stunning view (as we noticed the next morning when the clouds were gone) and outdoor sitting area. WIFI was adequate but we always lost connection at some point during the evening and we only got it back in the morning after getting a new password from the reception.

There were quite a bit of slippery steps from the villas (3 & 4) to the reception so you need to be careful and in good physical condition. If you are not then we think you should ask for the room above the main building or the 2 bedroom villa. We have seen a golf cart in the parking lot but we think it can only be used on the road towards the newly built 2 bedroom villa. Everywhere else there are stairs.

The staff is friendly and the guide that took us out on the waterfall-trekking was great. The surroundings of Munduk are very lush and you get great views everywhere.

The main building and the pool area are quite small but cosy. When the sun is out (when we were there it was sunny from morning until about 2 pm) you can sit outside on loungers or at tables by the pool or on the grass or by the jacuzzi. Great views from there. The pool was quite cold and not many people seemed to use it. Our children did but they retreated to the jacuzzi quite quickly.

We found that there was not enough sitting area when it rained. The tables in the dining area were usually already set for lunch or dinner and the bar area had only 2 small tables and 4 chairs. So when it rained we had only our rooms to sit. It is nice that you can borrow books, DVD's and board games from the reception area and take them to your room.

The food we had for breakfast and dinner and the lunch that was offered to us during the trekking were excellent. Nicely presented and excellent taste. Cocktails, even though as expensive as everywhere else in Bali, were hit and miss. Don't know what happened to the cocktails we ordered but they were very wrong and we could not finish them.

When we asked how we could get from Munduk to Bedugul to visit the botanical gardens and Bali Tree Tops we were offered a free shuttle. Excellent service.

We found that the spa was good but not exceptional. Again there were quite a bit of slippery stairs to get to the spa.

In short : We found that the lodging, service and food at MMP is excellent. However, you need to be active. There are lots of walks and excursions offered by the hotel to keep yourselves busy. Don't go there if you want to spend time lying in the sun or by the pool or if you are looking for evening entertainment. The surroundings are lovely but there is a price to pay for being high up in the Bali mountains. Be prepared to see some rain or fog even in the dry season. Take a sweater to wear in the evenings.

Room for improvement :
- clean the slippery steps between the villas even though I realize that this is difficult to keep up in a damp and tropical environment;
- explain the trainees (?) at the bar how to make cocktails :)
- provide more sitting area near the main building for when it rains

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HBelgium
gede S, Executive Assistant Manager at Munduk Moding Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Dear HBelgium,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your helpful suggestions. We are happy to hear that you found the villas, the service and the food at MMP of excellent quality.

We have indeed noticed that the further out paths on the plantation can be a bit slippery in some months during the rainy season. For that reason, we have installed some concrete blocks at the slippery areas; this project was completed last week. As for the access to the villas and the Spa, the moss is scheduled to be removed every two months – we will increase this frequency if we observe that it needs to be done more regularly. The short grass around the tennis court is always maintained by our gardener and we are now working to clean the surface and repaint the lines of the court itself.

We have followed up on your WiFi advice by introducing a permanent log in and password so that our guests can stay connected permanently in a very convenient manner. In fact, this should have already been the case with the old system since the password offered (always for all devices guests bring) should have been valid for 24 hours anyway. We do not fully understand what actually happened in your case as we did not hear any feedback related to this issue beforehand.

We apologise for the mishap with will your cocktails have discussed this with our restaurant colleagues to prevent this from happening again.

Finally, we will be opening a larger sitting area soon to provide more indoor space for our guests. This will also allow us to host indoor performances, show movies and install a larger library. It will offer our guest further space to relax and enjoy themselves when the weather is poor.

The team and I are looking forward to be given another chance to serve you again at MMP so that you might sample the fruit of your kind advice.

Gede

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Lovely laid back relaxing hotel, we were just very unlucky with the weather. We did manage to catch sight of the wonderful views on a couple of occasions and at other times we were sitting in a cloud watching the hotel disappear before our eyes. The pool looked amazing but was a little too cold for me although my husband ventured in for a swim. The staff, room and food were very good and one evening we were treated to a visit by local dancers. It's worth going on the plantation tour, it's very interesting. A nice touch was the packet of coffee from the plantation that we were given as a gift when we left.

Room Tip: We were in Garden Room 1. Think there may have been larger rooms but we found ours nice enough, huge...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kitty52,

Thank you for your positive review which we appreciate.

It is a bit unfortunate that this year the rainy season was longer than it normally should have been and I regret that you experienced this during your time at MMP. It affects the whole of Bali, but obviously, MMP being located in the central hill area was more affected. We have frankly not experienced such weather during the dry season since MMP was opened back in 2009.

The water in our swimming pool is indeed less warm compared to the pools situated in the lower areas in Bali because we are located at 1100 meters. However, following advice received from guests, since mid June 2013, we have installed pool heaters to ensure that the temperature of the pool water is 25-26 degrees Celsius in stead the 19 to 20 degrees Celsius which would otherwise be the case.

We hope that we will have a chance to welcome you back and serve you at MMP at your next visit to Bali.

Gede

Reviewed 25 July 2013

MMP has always been on my list of “Must Stay Hotel in Bali” since it’s opening. This is my 3rd trip to Bali and first time visiting the highlands where the weather is cool in the mornings and evenings. MMP picked us from Villa Patal on time and as the drive takes about 3hrs, we requested to have lunch at Ibu Oka (Ubud). There was a slight jam into Ubud as it’s a popular area with tourists. I am so grateful to the driver for his patience & flexibility. We were starting to get restless in the car when the scenery changed (we were on higher grounds as the car was going up the hill) and eventually the lakes caught our eyes.

We were welcomed by friendly & upbeat staff (I never fail to see a smile on their faces) who presented each of us a flower garland upon arrival. Check in was a breeze and we were brought to our 1 bedroom Villa after a brief introduction of the property. Villa was huge and has everything we could wish for eg. bathtub, indoor & outdoor shower, double sink, deck chairs, sliding doors with glass panels so that we can enjoy the lush greenery which surrounds us, mosquito net, hairdryer, safe deposit box, bathrobes etc. Every night, staff would do night turn down service and leave a bedtime story on the bed. One evening, it was a sad story but it was accompanied by a piece of palm sugar sweet which tasted great. WIFI was slightly frustrating in the room as my handphone would logout and I have to sign in several times a day. We took a walk around the plantation and had afternoon tea (available daily at 4pm) by the infinity pool. You can request to have your afternoon tea & snack by the Jacuzzi. Pool water is cold but don’t fret, there is a hot Jacuzzi tub with spectacular views of the coast as well as 3 volcanoes (Ijen, Merapi & Raung). View is incredible especially in the morning when it’s sunny and skies are blue. I love seeing the reflection of clouds in the infinity pool. Having breakfast with such views is a rare treat.

We went on several tours (Lake Buyan & Tamblingan, Off the Beaten Village Tour, Sekumpul Mystery Waterfall & Waterfall Bonanza) during our stay. All drivers and guides are patient and accommodating. I would like to thank all for that as we stopped many times to take pictures. It was a 3hrs walk in the forest form Lake Buyan to Lake Tamblingan. The lakes are beautiful but we could only see it once in a while throughout the walk. We enjoyed the dugout canoe ride which we helped to paddle at Lake Tamblingan. We visited bamboo weaving, Pedawa village, Gesing (giant banyan tree) & Munduk waterfall during the Off The Beaten Village Tour. At Pedawa village, we bought some Palm Sugar which tasted natural with a nice aroma. Sekumpul waterfall was beautiful. Easy walk initially then came the 350 steps (steps are quite high at certain parts) down followed by crossing through 2 small rivers to get there. It was great seeing the waterfall at such a close distance but beware, you would be all wet. Bring a towel. We saw 3 waterfalls (Golden Valley, Empelan which is also known as Munduk & Melanting) on the Waterfall Bonanza tour.

Food, in my opinion, was slightly disappointing as some of the dishes like Seafood Belado (gravy diluted), Pumpkin Soup (taste of pumpkin is weak – may be better if it’s a cream soup version), Ikan Pepes (not so aromatic – insufficient spices or coconut milk), Tuna Sambal Matah (tuna is dry) were average. Dishes which I liked: Timbungan, Satay, Chicken Confit & Chicken Paprika. I appreciate the variety available for breakfast and my request for a pot of strong coffee every morning.

MMP supports the nearby villages and every Sunday, about 50 girls would be learning traditional dance at the tennis court. We had the privilege to watch the dance on 2 evenings during dinner. A Huge Thank You to the staff who accompanied us to the nearby shop to purchase stationery for the 50 girls. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank MMP for assisting me to sort and distribute clothes (65kg) to the under privileged families.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gobleg
The Damai
#9 of 199 in Ubud
Kamandalu Ubud
Kamandalu Ubud
#40 of 199 in Ubud

Been to Munduk Moding Plantation? Share your experiences!