“Gold standard for a proper hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel du Pont

Hotel du Pont
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Decatur, Illinois
“Gold standard for a proper hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

In town for a family wedding at another venue but staying at the DuPont as were many other out of town guests. Elegant historical architecture,attentive and friendly staff at every level,room service and food quality way above average. Breakfast in the Green Room a memorable occasion with honest fresh orange juice,innovative Eggs Benedict with crab meat and a superb waiter. Only negative is a a bit colorful neighborhood but never a problem.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Danbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed at the Hotel du Pont this weekend for a wedding. I'm not very familiar with the area - but didn't have very high expectations driving up through the city. I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel - the lobby was grand and ornate. We had a room with two double beds which was HUGE (and clean) - and full of all the amenities you expect to receive at a hotel of this caliber. Room service was not TOO overpriced for burgers, etc., and was tasty as well. In the morning we ate breakfast in the dining room which was as ornate as the rest of the hotel and the food was decent as well (not the best eggs / bacon I've ever had and a little pricey but still good). The wedding itself was held in the lower ballrooms and blew me away when we walked in - you feel like you're transported back to another era! Overall, I would recommend if you are in the area and looking for an upscale and timeless place to stay.

Room Tip: Our room faced the middle of the hotel where we overlooked pipes / other people's rooms - but be...
1 Thank manhack
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I booked a last minute Downton Abbey package for the fifth of July, and am happy I did. I appreciated the convenience of having tickets to the exhibit at nearby Winterthur available from an efficient and friendly Noemi at check in. Our spacious and extremely comfortable room could certainly use a bit of an update ( there was a rather startling abundance of brass in the bathroom). That said, the included breakfast was great and it was an overall pleasant experience.

2 Thank Windwardmom
Horsham, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

If you want to go back in time to a look of pure luxury and opulence then this place will be for you. The architecture is stunning. The decor is timeless. The atmosphere is historic You must experience the aura that surrounds this place. The dining room just amazed me. If the walls could only talk and tell the stories about what history this place has. Beautiful everywhere you turn.
The brunch is out of this world.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Morristown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I was born and raised in north Wilmington. Our family had many wonderful events at the Hotel.

Our room was elegant. The hotel still offers old world charm.

We had drinks at the Hotel Bar and enjoyed the drinks. Our breakfast at the Green Room was delicious.

We love this hotel.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

I used to love the Hotel du Pont. I had my bat mitzvah there. I got married there. My parents were both longtime DuPont employees. The Hotel held a special place in my heart. And then I checked in this May, looking forward to celebrating my sister’s wedding, and realized that it had become a very different place.

The list of everything that went wrong is too long and tedious to repeat here, but if you’d like to get a sense of what went wrong imagine opening your suitcase and discovering that someone from housekeeping had opened it and placed a filthy shopping bag on top of your baby’s clean clothes. Imagine walking around barefoot in your suite and coming across an enormous cockroach, and then having your nanny in the room next door call frantically to report that her room was infested with cockroaches as well. Imagine having your waiter in the lobby restaurant botch your order, then argue with you belligerently, telling you that it’s your fault and then finally physically throwing your check down on the table in a menacing move. Then imagine complaining to the manager and getting no more than a shrug of the shoulders.

Because I really did have strong feelings for this hotel, I called to alert management about all of the disasters I encountered during my stay. I never asked for any compensation, which was just as well, as no one ever bothered getting back to me. When someone finally did, after I repeatedly left messages, they alternated between giving me the bureaucratic runaround and offering me an insulting rebate worth less than 10 percent of what I had spent during my stay.

The treatment I received by the Hotel du Pont’s upper management was worse than insulting, and it truly breaks my heart to say that I will never stay at the Hotel du Pont again, nor would I ever dream of recommending the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
16 Thank Lisa S
Hotel_duPont_DE, General Manager at Hotel du Pont, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
We are always concerned when a guest staying at our property has an experience that causes them any undue stress. Our desire is to always exceed expectations of our guests and we do apologize for failing to do so during your recent visit.

After a thorough investigation and discussion with all members of our management team, I confirmed we addressed the issues with you and other members of your family. I am sorry that we could not come to a resolution that you considered fair and equitable.

We hope you will reconsider and return to the Hotel du Pont to allow us the opportunity to once again provide the highest level of food, service, and facilities that has been a longtime favorite of yours for many years. We will look forward to welcoming you back.
New Jersey
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,157 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel with its elegance and friendliness felt like old world charm. The nicest are common spaces - lobby, foyer,restaurant. The hotel rooms are less impressive but it is an oldie-goldie. You do not come here to use internet or to use ultramodern facilities but you can expect the old world charm and to create nostalgic memories. Good base for exploring Brandywine area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple