“Interesting experience and food”
Review of Vinoteca 902 - CLOSED

Dining options: Private Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Delaware Avenue
Wilmington DE
“Interesting experience and food”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I would definitely recommend Vinoteca 902 for a new and different experience. The atmosphere is nice, uniquely decorated, with comfortable cozy seating. I had to ask our server to explain the menu and would think they would ask customers if this was their first visit in anticipation of the menu being a bit intimidating. But he was very helpful in explaining how things work and making suggestions and provided us attentive service. Food was served with appropriate timing too. They have a nice selection of specialty cocktails and we both enjoyed our caipirinha's. We started off with calamari and thought these were right up there with the best we have ever had - cooked perfectly and with flavor needing nothing additional (we have tried a lot of calamari). Next we had cheese croquettes with white beans that was very tasty, then artichoke & ham, and finally a coca (flatbread) with serrano ham, figs, etc. We had something else and cannot recall what it was. Next time I would mix some salad in there rather than all tapas, and would not order more than 1 item with serrano ham as it was salty and the flavor started to overpower.

This is a great place for a unique business lunch or dinner, first date, special occasion, or get together with friends. Tapas are good for sharing up to 4 people with each getting a taste.

• Visited May 2012

wilmington, de
“New Years Eve Dinner”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We went for New Years Eve Dinner and had an average meal. Not the best time to go to a restaurant for the first time but it was different and the menu looked good. The cured meat platters were fantastic and some of the cooked tapas were good. We found many of them to be lacking and not prepared well. The wine selection was nice and the service was good. I will definitely give them another try as they were very busy that night and it probably wasn't the best they could do.

• Visited December 2011
Wilmington, DE
“going downhill quickly - avoid”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I used to frequent Orillas when it was in a separate location from Vinoteca, the owner's other restaurant in Wilmington.

All I can say is that something happened since they've combined the two restaurants into one. I suspect they are not doing well financially and that's showing in the food and the service.

My last experience there was lackluster at best and the server was inattentive and seemed to have attitude. I asked to speak with the manager and I think I ended up speaking with the owner instead (older lady) who was apologetic on the surface but I could tell she really didn't seem to care about my concerns.

The place was also nearly deserted. There was a concert nearby and all other eateries were packed but there were only 2-3 tables full Orillas/Vinoteca.

Bottom line - I'd recommend avoiding this place. It's gone way downhill and I suspect they'll be closing soon judging by their lack of business. I think they are just trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of their investment before closing...

Visited November 2011
Chadds Ford, PA
“Great food”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I have been here seeral times and this time brought out of town colleagues. The tapas choices are great and each dish is hand crafted. We had great service and everyone found somethng to their liking. A little slow so hard for a business lunch but great for dinner, Wonderful spanish wine list too

• Visited May 2011
NYC
“I felt like I never left New York City, it was THAT good.”
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Came down from NYC for a gallery showing and party. Had time to kill and thought I would find nothing in a section of Wilmington that desperately vacates as soon as the markets close. It was like someone called in a bomb scare at 5pm - Even Brew-Ha-Ha was closed before 6pm!
Walked by Vinoteca and was invited in by the modern/warm decor and the friendliness of the host (possibly part owner). I was the only one in as they were putting the final touches on for dinner service, so I sat at the traditional saloon style bar. Right away you notice a very substantial wine selection from Spain, Italy and California. Their list was properly stocked and I looked forward to a menu. I had Tapas dishes since time was on my mind, and I like to taste a variety from the chef. All I can say is that the chef really understands food and tastes of the mediterranean. I had an octopus broiled dish with roasted red pepper, olive and oil seasons that was cooked to perfection - melting, not rubber. Catalonian Spinanch & Goat Cheese Empanadas was another dish that was perfect - not heavy as you would expect, yet comfort food with class. Finally the salad was a blue cheese crumble with roasted red beats and some mixed greens and sliced apple. This dish was the most balanced between sweet-sour and the apple just blended it all together. I dislike blue cheese, but in this dish it was exact, spot on.
Though they have only been open for a few months, and the staff are coming up to speed, the chef is old world schooled and world class. I will Definitely return for a full dinner service and I advise you to experience this gem in a desert as well.

• Visited February 2011