“Worked For Us”
Review of Inn at Wilmington

Inn at Wilmington
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My 3 girlfriends and I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. The weather was hot and humid, so a pool would have been nice. Otherwise everything was as good as it gets. We had 2 clean and quiet rooms with 2 queen size beds each and all the amenities we could possibly want or need.
The breakfast was outstanding - featuring microwaveable Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches, do your own waffles, fruit salad, hard boiled eggs, 5 kinds of coffee and the usual cereals, pastries, juices, etc. On the first day a nice older gentleman kept everything well stocked. The next 2 mornings we had to ask at the desk for refills. That was a minor inconvenience - as was the repeated need to have the key cards re-keyed.
We loved the location. The hotel was surrounded by stores and eateries which - being located in Delaware - didn't charge any taxes. For the hotel room itself we paid just a modest 7% or so tax.
The Hagley and Nemours museums were close by and so was Winterthur. Brandywine River Museum and Longwood Gardens were a little further away (about 35 minutes tops).
All in all a very enjoyable visit. I am looking forward to staying in the same hotel again soon!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 June 2011

First off, the staff are helpful and the hotel is clean and quiet. That's about it. if you do not spend a lot of time in the hotel, this hotel if a great value. If you are like me, and are sent on business for many days or week, find another hotel.

I'm the first to admit I'm a little picky but rate hotels based on 1) the "fitness center" or the ability to get a decent work out in, 2) the availability of internet access - real internet access - meaning more than checking e-mail, and 3) the quality of breakfast if prvided.

First, this hotel has a tread mill, a stair master, and a few dumbells. To call it a "fitness center" is a joke. I've seen rehab centers in retirement homes with more weights and better quality equipment. No wonder America has an obesity problem.

Second, you might as well send smoke signals or use a smart phone to access the internet. Anything more than e-mail and very light web surfing will get you kicked off line and compell you to call the help desk to restore your access. No streaming video, music, or on-line gaming is allowed; even opening multiple windows will cause you to be locked out - "it takes up space we call bandwith" is what the cretin at the help desk tried to sell to me. Really??? My smart phone can download multiple streams at once while I talk but the hotel can't handle it? What do they use? Dial up?

Lastly, the free breakfast is truely a no frills event. Some anemic looking fruit, a waffle iron, and cerial. I'll admit, something is better than nothing... but not much better.

It all comes down to a what your expectations and needs are and what you are willing to tolerate. For me, I rather stab myself in the eye with a dull spork than stay here again. It just doesn' suit my needs.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Rizzo185
COwens54, General Manager at Inn at Wilmington, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the INN at Wilmington. We appreciate your comments as they will help us to offer a better experience to our guests.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on your review. We are working with our network provider to explore options that will allow our guests to listen to music, watch movies, and use their personal computers without getting caught in our current filters.

In regards to our breakfast we have heard the comments from our guests and are purchasing additional items for our continental breakfast to make it more satisfying. In recent weeks we have changed our coffee to Seattle's Best and our muffins and pastries are provided by a local bakery.

We are fortunate to be in an area surrounded by corporations. Many of our guests are business travelers like you. As we are in the process of making changes to our breakfast offerings I welcome your suggestions of what items we should add to our breakfast.

I apologize that our fitness room does not meet your needs. At this time we are not making any changes to the equipment in the fitness room. If in the future you choose to return to the hotel we can offer you a pass to the local YMCA.

Again I thank you for your time and feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you have additional comments or concerns about your stay. My email address is colleen.owens@hershahotels.com.

Colleen Owens

Reviewed 9 December 2010

While in Wilmington for a reunion, I stayed at the Inn at Wilmington based on the glowing reviews I had read here at TripAdvisor, and I can see why. The hotel was convenient (right off Concord Pike), friendly and clean. A couple of lights in the room didn't work, but they were fixed shortly after I asked. My only complaint was a funny noise that the heating system in my room made all night, which stood out in an otherwise very quiet room. I ended up turning off the heat because I couldn't stop focusing on the noise, which was sort of a hissing/clicking noise. Fix that, and the room would have been perfect. I will stay at the Inn at Wilmington again, though.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 October 2010

My husband and I just stayed here for a friend’s wedding. We had a great stay; the hotel was very clean and quiet. The rooms were a descent size including a microwave and refrigerator, which was an added bonus. It’s located next to a few different restaurants and the mall is less than a half of mile away. The only downside to this place is that the beds were full size. If they upgraded to at least queen size beds we would have been more comfortable! Overall, we had a great stay & would go back if we were ever in the area.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We had a very nice stay here last month. The location was nice and is within walking distance to many restaurants, and a short drive a to lots of shopping opportunities. This was also a short drive from the mansions we toured in the area.

The rooms were spacious, clean, and the beds were nice and we slept well. Very good parking lots with plenty of room.

Overall, this seemed liked a solid 4 star place to us. We've been in nicer hotels, but this one was above average in our opinion.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank FamilyVacationsMN
Reviewed 27 July 2010

After several stays at the nearby Homewood Suites, we had to look for an alternative this trip because the Homewood was booked. The Inn at Wilmington seemed "almost as good" so gave it a try. It was not terrible, but clearly not "almost as good". The "suites" were one big room (not great for 2 parents with night-owl teenagers), the breakfast was so-so, and the sofa-bed seemed uncomfortable. I'd put it at the level of a Hampton Inn, which isn't bad -- it may work just fine for most people, but don't expect too much, and go for the Homewood if you can.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank OldGuyfromBay
Reviewed 28 June 2010

We are traveling through the area for one night. We didn't want to spend a lot of money on a one night hotel room. After reading the reviews on other hotels in the area, we decided to take a gamble on this place. I'm very glad we did. The room was clean, the front desk personnel spoke clear english and we enjoyed the free breakfast and wifi. It's a 100% non-smoking hotel and the air was fresh! We've stayed other places where it was non-smoking but the air wasn't as nice as it was here. There are a good number of restaurants within walking distance (Red Lobster, Famous Daves, Olive Garden and more). The surrounding area of the city was clean and pleasant. We give this place 4.5 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family