“A pullout couch is not the same as a queen bed.”
Review of Inn at Wilmington

Inn at Wilmington
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
“A pullout couch is not the same as a queen bed.”
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I stayed there with my mother and brother overnight in mid-June. First, the key card wouldn't work so I had to run back downstairs to the front desk. Once we did get into the room, I found 1 queen and a pullout couch, not the 2 queen room I'd booked online. Back downstairs for them to tell me that was all they had, and really, the couch pulls out into a queen so it's the same thing. They assured me extra sheets for the couch were in the room. Back upstairs again, to find out there were no extra sheets, or pillows, in the closet. So I called back the front desk, and they did bring some right away. But, the pullout mattress wasn't very comfortable at all. So my poor brother slept scrunched up on the couch part.

Though I didn't get the room I paid for, I gave this an average rating instead of poor because they did have a nice breakfast in the morning, with some hot food, and the staff was friendly. In the future, I hope they consider looking more closely at matching up the customer with the room they'd originally booked.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
CourtyardBrandywine, General Manager at Inn at Wilmington, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at the INN at Wilmington, I honestly appreciate you expressing your concerns about you last stay with us. I can only imagine how frustrating it could be experiencing multiple problems at our property, including not getting a room that you paid for or what you had requested. I did discuss these issues with both the Front Office and Housekeeping managers to assure that this do not occur again. I would like to make this right, I could not find your reservation in our history. Could you please contact me at your earliest convenient at 302-477-9500 to discuss this matter? I do apologize for any troublesomeness this may have caused you and your family, Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Very nice staff. Room is clean. Hotel facilities overall are nice. HOWEVER, as a business traveller, I need internet that is reliable and fast. Running a speedtest this hotel internet (wireless and wired) is averaging about .3MB/sec! That is shameful. Running pings that take 500+ milliseconds just proves that internet is useless. I switched to my 3G connection on my phone about easily got 5MB/sec.

Stop advertising HIGH-SPEED internet when it's just marginally better than dialup.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
CourtyardBrandywine, General Manager at Inn at Wilmington, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Thank you for your compliments regarding our hotel staff and our facilities. I also appreciate your feedback regarding our internet service. Please accept my honest apologies; I am truly sorry about the inconvenience’s you experienced with the internet during your stay with us. We appreciated hearing about your concerns and made sure they were shared and reviewed with management. hope this doesn’t deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback.
St, Louis
Reviewed 6 September 2012

I stayed here for three nights in late August for business purposes. I found this hotel to be in a convenient location with several restaurants in walking distance. It backed a beautiful state park, and was on the main road, 202. It was simple, but had everything you would need and was extremely clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. Beds were great, and the included breakfast was good and hot. WiFi was free....parking was free. Independently owned. I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
CourtyardBrandywine, General Manager at Inn at Wilmington, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
First of all let me say thank you for choosing the Inn at Wilmington for your hotel of choice. It was truly a pleasure to have you as our guest. We are extremely pleased to hear that you really enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks again, we look forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
new jersey, usa
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Very spacious room, small hotel - only 4 floors so no wait on elevator or crowded public spaces, typical but nice breakfast included, convenient location, small fitness center, indoor pool is next door - have to go outside - might be a problem in winter, rain if that is important for you, very pleasant staff, very clean

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nancy123_10
Thank you for positive feedback. We are happy to know we were able to meet and exceed your expectations. I will definitely share your comments with our staff and management. When visiting the area again, please do not hesitate to contact us again for overnight accommodations.
Thanks again,
Dover, Vermont
Reviewed 4 August 2012

It was a sad event that brought us here so with little time to plan our trip we picked this hotel based on a very reasonable price. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and professional front desk person (Elizabeth) who took the time to tell us about the amenities. There were pastries available and lemon water to drink which made my daughter's day. The room was very clean and decently sized in my oppinion (had the double queen room, plenty of room for porta crib and all our stuff and still didn't feel cramped). The bathroom was also very clean. The drain took just a minute to figure out how to work (was not broke though i could see where someone with little patience would think it were). Of all the things that impressed us though, I have to say each and every member of the staff that we came across was courteous, friendly, and helpful. From the front desk to Abigail who helped us at breakfast, each made us feel right at home and contributed to our stay here. We moved away from Delaware but this will be our new "home base" when we return to visit family.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank nattylox
CourtyardBrandywine, General Manager at Inn at Wilmington, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Thank you for the great review. I showed your comments about your stay with both Liz and Abby and we are delighted that you had an excellent experience with us during a time that you and your family was mourning. Our hearts goes out to your family and hope everything is well. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are visiting the area.
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Where to begin? We booked this trip online for a double queen room, but when we arrived we were told they only had a single queen room left. We are a couple traveling with a 5 year old and 1 year old. Since we didn't want our 5 year old on a pull out sofa, the front desk clerk said she would bring a cot. Since she was the only person working, it took an hour to receive the cot, the mattress was ripped, there was no mattress pad and the clerk left us to set up the bed ourselves. Though we had reserved it in advance, there was no crib in the room when we arrived either. The same clerk went to get the pack and play - as a result, our kids were over an hour later for bed than we anticipated. The queen bed was way too soft, very uncomfortable and clearly old. The bathroom was clean, however, not great - the drain in the tub looked broken, the whole piece of the inside of the drain was sitting in the tub and in general, made me not want to bathe our kids. The room in general looked more worn than other rooms in this hotel when we've stayed in the past. All in all we were quite disappointed; the staff refused to give us a discount even though we didn't get the room we reserved and were full of excuses about why they didn't have enough rooms, none of which mattered to us or did we want to even hear about - the management should have done whatever they need to do to ensure their availability is correctly reflected on the internet. When they discovered they were overbooked, they should have had more than one person working! Our experience was unacceptable and we will not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mollymocat
CourtyardBrandywine, General Manager at Inn at Wilmington, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Thank you for your review and informing us about some of the major issues that occur during your stay. We sincerely appreciate every review negative or positive because this gives us the opportunity to reflect on our performance and strive to do better. Here at the Inn at Wilmington we do our utmost to give every guest a marvelous experience, and it is my greatest regret that you did not experience this during your stay with us. Please contact me at your earliest convenient to discuss the matter further. I look forward to hearing for you soon.
New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2012

No more or less than what we expected. Everything is pretty basic. Room was clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful.. Keurig coffeemaker in the room is a nice touch, as the coffee they make for breakfast is way too weak. Fortunately, the hotel next door has a Starbucks, though it has funky hours.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurencat
Thank you for your review, I genuinely appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. I did address the issue about the breakfast coffee with the staff. If you stay with us next time please all of our Seattle Best Starbucks coffee we carry in 6 different flavors. We look forward to seeing you during you next visit to DE.