“Be careful about staying here...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Wilmington
Middlebury, United States
“Be careful about staying here...”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Not sure about this hotel... I'm staying here my third time and if I have any other problems (e.g. - bathtub doesn't drain, no coffee in the room, heating / cooling issues)... I am not going to stay here again... I'll stay at the Homewood Suites across the street...

1 Thank John W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
OHIO, United States
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Amazing location, 20-30 minutes from PHL in an area surrounded by no sales tax malls and stores. The room was great, the internet free and fast. The only downside was the lack of a fridge (which seems to be more or less the standard at most DT's, at least 2 of the 3 I stayed in this year didn't have one).

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thanks so much for your 5 star review, Felipe! Come back soon!!
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

We came for a business conference for 2 days. Rich and Rob took care of us the whole time! They provided us with great customer service and made sure we had a great event. I would highly recommend staying here and guarantee we will be back for our next conference!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thanks so much for your 5 star review! We are so happy that you truly enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future! We'll be sure to pass along your kind words about Rich & Rob as well. Come back anytime!!
Houston, United States
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel has very comfortable beds and is in a good location. The mall is right next door if you like to shop. The hotel itself needs a facelift with tired furnishings and carpets. Great Prime Rib if you eat in the restaurant and the staff was very friendly. Didn't use the health club but they have one which is nice for business travelers.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate you staying with us and for your valuable feedback. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and your meal. You'll be pleased to know that we are about to undergo a $5 million dollar reinvention in 2014! This will surely make this the very best stay in town! Come back soon!
Stony Point, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The hotel was selected for the guests of the wedding. I've stayed comfortably at the Doubletree in the past so I was looking forward to a weekend exploring Wilmington DE and staying someplace I knew what to expect. While for the most part the stay worked out for me there was the disappointment of being placed in a room next to the elevator while my special notes usually requests rooms away from elevators and ice machines. The hotel rooms were seriously overbooked with 4 weddings that weekend and it was especially noticeable with the lack of shuttles available per wedding. Ultimately the least accommodating aspect of the wedding weekend. I don't think I would consider having my wedding guests stay at a Doubletree but I would personally stay there myself again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for your 4 star review. We are so sorry that you were a bit close to some after wedding noise. We would love if our guests were all inconsiderate, but unfortunately noise can be an issue. I didn't see a listing in your Hhonors profile about the room preferences. I've added that when staying here you'd like to be away from the elevators & ice machines. We do hope to welcome you back!
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I last stayed in this hotel in April 2008. I honestly can't see much changes since then in the rooms. The hotel is located on a busy street / highway that gets a lot of traffic. I've not really been bothered by the noise from the street. I have been back here 4 or 5 times now and have a street facing room a few of those times. I may just not notice it as I spend a lot of time in hotels and have adapted.

The Room
The room itself is pretty roomy (I've had 2 doubles and King rooms). There is a nice work area which isn't placed in front of the AC / Heat unit (a nice touch as it doesn't blow on you while you are working). The TV works well and the beds are comfortable. I'd prefer a foam pillow but the 4 or 5 that are in the room are all down. There doesn't ever seem to be an extra blanket / Pillow in my closet either. In some rooms they include a nice amenities in the bathroom including a scrub. I do have some complaints about the room. The entry to the room feels tight. The close is right behind the door in most rooms and the closet is hard to get into as the room is tight. I have metal hangars for my dress shirts and I have to turn them to get them on and off the bar due to it being so close to the shelf above. The bathroom is very small. I always feel I'm bumping into the shower curtain or the door in some of the rooms. The toilets are the old non-elongated toilets and feel really outdated. Perhaps it's an east cost thing but it just feels very small. I have had a few problems with shower heads and their water pressure. Overall the pressure at the hotel is great but a faulty shower head will reduce it greatly. My current room barely fogs up the window with the water hot and the door closed as there is not much water coming out of the shower head. The hotel did move me one week to a nice suite to make up for not being able to fix it which was great other than the fact the internet access in the bedroom of the suite (located behind elevators) was non-existent. Also housekeepers don't always empty my trash (There are two in the room and the bathroom one usually is emptied but the one I use the most is by the desk and it's not uncommon for it to not be emptied when I return from work. The AC Unit works pretty well but like most hotels isn't quiet. The curtains hang down over the vents however and only some rooms seem to have a plastic shield to keep the curtains from catching all the air. When the plastic piece isn't there the room takes a while to cool or heat as the air is forced into the window area.

Hotel
The workout room is small but does have some dumbbells and a couple treadmills. The front desk area is nice and open and there is a small "store" for snacks, some stuff for the microwave and stuff you forgot. There are two "towers" and thus two sets of elevators. Make sure you get in the right one for your room.

Restaurant
I only use the restaurant for breakfast so I'm not sure how it is for dinner but the breakfast buffet is good to OK. They have eggs, potatoes, french toast, pancakes (sometimes) and panini sandwiches or quiche, sausage and bacon (The bacon here is horrible, it's very thin and just has an off taste. I love bacon and haven't been able to eat it past week one). There are also breads, small bagels which I love due to their size you don't feel so full) and some danish items. They have milk and fruit and other stuff available which is nice. Not sure what they charge for it as I'm a Diamond member and get it for free but it's a decent meal. The waiters and waitresses are very nice and friendly.

Overall
This is a good hotel and depending on the price it is a good value. I use a corporate rate and therefor it's worth that rate. I would like to see some updates to the decor and stuff (it just feels old and knowing it looks/is the same as 2008 and not sure how old it was then) makes the hotel feel older. The staff at the front desk is very friendly and I really appreciate what they do to make things right when they go awry.

Getting in and out of the hotel is a little tough as there is a median (I've seen a lot of people driving over the median but to enter when going south, you should turn around at the light just south of the hotel and to go south coming out of the hotel you should turn around at the light just north of the hotel.

Room Tip: I would choose one in the "north" tower and away from the street if possible
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, Mr. Robertson. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. When you stayed here in 2008, the hotel was recently renovated. We will be undergoing a $5 million dollar reinvention beginning in 2014, so many of your suggestions will be addressed: larger fitness room, updated guest rooms/products, updates to the HVAC systems, etc. We will have our engineering dept take a look at the shower head in the room that you stayed in to ensure that the pressure is working correctly. Thank you for letting us know!
We hope you do come back and visit after our reinvention next year to witness the new and exciting changes at the DoubleTree Wilmington!
wilmington, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My opinion in staying in this hotel, this hotel is very nice and good location and have very good staff group for service " thanks very much for best host and i hope i come back again and stay in this hotel in nearest time

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Erin D, Social Media Champion at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wilmington, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your review and your kind words, Mohamed! We are so thrilled that you experienced very good staff & service, enjoyed our location, and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in town!