“Mixed bag”

Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Wilmington
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

I have mixed emotions about this place. Front desk staff was very helpful as was bellman. Was disappointed at the decor of the rooms and the public spaces. Whoever was the interior desecrater needs to go back to school. The use of dark wall covering plus dark carpeting and terrible lighting gave a depressing impression in what otherwise should have been an uplifting experience. Then, the room carpeting was a huge turnoff. The dark grey color on some bizarre pattern looked old and very dirty. May have been clean but it looked otherwise. The room furniture looked worn. Breakfast was OK, the saving grace was the wait staff, very friendly and helpful. The bar closed too early, we had about 50 people with us who were drinking and spending $$. But last call came too early. Missed opportunity to make some extra bucks. This hotel could be so much better with a little TLC

• Stayed: September 2013
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I can tell you that November/December of 2012, all the guest rooms and guest hallways received new carpet, wallpaper, drapes and lights. The guest rooms also received new chairs and couches. In 2013, the hotel will be start replacing all of the case goods and in 2013/2014 the bathrooms will be renovated. However, the hotel must follow Sheraton Standards during renovations and the current Sheraton Standards are “earth tones” hence all of the brown.
In regards to the bar and it closing early, it is Delaware state law that all bars MUST close by 1am. Last call is to be made no later than 1245am with no drinks being served after this time. We do appreciate your business and truly wish that we could have stayed open later but the hotel does risk losing its liquor license if caught not following this state mandate. Thank you again

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My Fiancee and I stayed here after the The Peoples Reggae Festival in July, the Festival was nice by the way, and the stay was great. We were so tired and ready to get off of our feet, we were so happy that It was only about 5 miutes from the Festival and it was in a great location. This was not our first time staying at a Shearton Hotel, we stayed at one in Florida a few years back, so we were anticipating the stay. We had two queen size beds, the beds were so comfortable that we slept in seperate beds, that was a first. To sum it all up, Sheraton Suites is one of our favorite places to stay, in any city!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HarmoniBlack
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Thank you for the nice feedback regarding your stay. The Reggae Fest is a great and fun time in the city. I glad to read that you and your fiancée enjoyed. The staff and also that when you come back next year that you stay again with your Wilmington DE family.
Thank you and have a great weekend!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed at this Sheraton for my wedding for 5 days and it was a wonderful time. The rooms are all suites! My guest who stayed here kept calling me and telling me how great the rooms were especially with how inexpensive the rooms were. The food was great for every meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner). They have parking, and the staff were very helpful and kind! If I was in downtown Wilmington, DE I would stay here in a heart beat... You will be very happy you choose the Sheraton Suites in Wilmington, DE.

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites, so you can't go wrong...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
EJolikko, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Wilmington Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you for your comments. The staff and I were very pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We can only hope that the wedding that you attended was just as good if not better. Thank you again and if you are in the Wilmington area again, please stay with us!!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Traveling to DE on business, I've stayed at this property for about ten years now. It started out on the shabby side but through years of renovations and care, it's in a good spot now. Rooms are clean and area all suites, so it's nice to have the sitting area with kitchenette and separate sleeping area. Beds are so comfy and all duvets - so no gross comforters. You can always ask for a freshly washed duvet too if you are concerned about such things but they've always been spotless. Restaurant is limited after a while, no new specials very often. But the staff is great, particularly bar staff. They really do "remember your name" with all the frequent business travelers, and make you comfortable away from home. Manager's reception with free beer and apps on Tuesday nights is a plus if you want to hang out in the lobby, check email, meet fellow travelers. Not much to do in Wilmington so it's nice to have a comfortable home base.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for you remarks. Please know that while the staff and I truly appreciate every guest, it is great to see the "regulars". The hotel has a new F&B team and in the last 1-2 months the new team has really put an effort out to make daily/weekly specials. However if there is an item that you would really like to see, please let myself or the F&B team know and we will do our best to make it for you.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I travel to Delaware once every 6 to 8 weeks and spend a lot of time running up and down I95 between Newark and Wilmington. For my last trip I decided to stay in town rather than near Newark. This Sheraton is much less noisy than the one near I95. There's was little noise coming from the other guest rooms and no traffic sounds from the streets below. I'm a very light sleeper and this type of thing is very important to me. The room was nicely decorated(identically to the rooms at the Newark location), comfortable and clean. The bed was very comfortable, with a good mattress and nice linens. As a security measure, you have to use your room key in the elevator. It was a little weird at first, but you get used to it. There is a parking garage under the building, which is convenient - but you won't get a big car or SUV in there. The clearance is 6 feet and the spaces are VERY close (oh, and you'll pay a daily rate for the pleasure). I didn't try the restaurant, but I did have access to the club floor for breakfast. It wasn't much to speak of, but better than nothing.

All in all, a good hotel. I will probably go back to staying in Newark for the convenience and free parking.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I glad to read that you felt that the hotel was good, however we want to be great. With that said I will be addressing the Club Lounge breakfast with the F&B team. In addition, while I can't change the size of the parking spots or the height of the garage, please know that there are rates that include parking, if you cannot find them PLEASE do not hesitate to call me and I will ensure that you are well taken care of in the future.
Sincerely

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for 2 days. Not a lot of services. The bar closes early. The breakfast buffet was good but not included in the room fees.

The rooms are big and spacious, clean and adequate. Parking is expensive, which I don't understand as there is not much going on downtown Wilmington.

Quiet, clean, rates are good. Computers available downstairs in lobby but printer was broke.

average!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your response. The team and I appreciate your comments and strive to meet/exceed all guests expectations during their visit with the hotel. I do apologize that we did not meet them during your stay as you scored the hotel a 3 out of 5. I truly hope that the next time you are in the Wilmington area that you give us another try and we can provide "10" type of service. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. 302.576.8000

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We had a spur of the moment overnight stay in Wilmington this past weekend and found the room to be very large and comfortable. The restaurant food was better than we expected (the salad Nicouse was delicious). My only complaint would be the tight spaces in the parking garage.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad to read that you felt that room was comfortable and very please to read that the food was better than expected. I will definitely pass the compliment on to the Chef.
Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area