“The Beat Part of My Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sea View Hotel

Sea View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bal Harbour
Washington, DC
“The Beat Part of My Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

My sister and I visited during a weekend in January; the room was booked by a 3rd party (I won a trip to Miami with hotel, etc.) so we didn't comparison shop.

The entrance and lobby were elegant and quaint in a vintage way. The concierge was very helpful and pleasant and offered suggestions for attractions, dining and offered to call cabs for us and hold our luggage for a few hours after checkout so we could visit the Bal Harbour Shops right across the street.

The room was very large, but not as pristine as I would have liked - the wallpaper was peeling a bit near the floor, the sliding glass doors to the balcony were rickety and old and the balcony's metal railing was in need of a powerwashing and paint job, the bathroom tile on the walls had water spots/stains as did the fixtures in the tub. The room had a weird odor when we arrived - it felt as though no one had used or cleaned the room in months since the last vacationer. However room service arrived twice daily - around 11am and then surprised us at 8:30 PM (put the Do Not Disturb on your door if you plan to retire early or be in your room at that hour) and did a good job at cleaning and replenishing towels and toiletries.

The bathroom was standard and small (this hotel was built in 1948) but they did a decent job of upgrading it with a pedestal sink and large wall mirror and there was fantastic water pressure and plenty of fluffy white towels.

The room had a TV but the remote wasn't working. The concierge asked us to bring the remote to the lobby; new batteries didn't remedy the situation so they snagged a remote from an empty room. Very pleasant through the process. No coffee/tea in the room nor a minibar, but there was a pretty large refrigerator. Walk-in closet held the chest of drawers, iron, safe and a full-length mirror.

We were pleased to have a room overlooking the pool and then ocean; from our beds we could see the Atlantic.

Room Service was the same menu and prices as the restaurant downstairs and was reasonably priced. It took less than 20 minutes to receive our breakfast and it was hot, average-sized portions and quite tasty. They were happy to customize our order over the phone and were quite friendly.

We did not use the pool, but visited the area and it was quite clean and well-maintained. The pool bar staff was friendly and helpful. The beach is just a few steps past the pool deck and had staff there to offer chairs.

• Liked — the view from the room and the very comfortable beds!
  • Disliked — cleanliness upon arrival
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank jetsettinallie
Sea View Hotel o, Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2014
Dear jetsettinallie,
Thank you for choosing The Sea View Hotel for your travel destination. We certainly appreciate the feedback from your visit as we always share these comments with our management and staff. This will help us to meet our guests expectations much better. Our hotel is currently going through an upgrade as we are installing a new a/c system throughout all rooms and renovating the façade, as well as, new entrance. As you can see, a lot of good is happening here and we hope you return to share in the excitement. Come join us to see what all the excitement is all about.
Regards,
Sales Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sugar Land, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2007

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sea View in Bal Harbour, Florida. Every one of the staff with whom we had contact was exceptionally polite and helpful.

Our trip was booked as a package deal through Expedia. Our only disappointment was the additional charge from the hotel for an upgrade to an ocean view/balcony room. Although we accepted, we thought it was high.

• Liked — Older hotel with nice rooms and excellent service
  • Disliked — A little pricey
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank mlusky
Sea View Hotel o, Director of Sales at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Dear mlusky,
Thank you for staying with us at The Sea View Hotel during your holiday.
We always strive to be our best and we are pleased when we are successful at this.
Feedback like yours helps us reach that point of excellence for our guests.
We pride ourselves for having the most competitive rates in Bal Harbour, especially for being directly on the beach.
We hope you visit again real soon.
Many thanks,
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2007

I went to the Sea View Hotel after not being in Miami for over a decade. After going through many of the other hotel web sites, I finally decided on this hotel for value and quality. On sites I visited this hotel was dubbed a three star which is what I was contented to settle with.

Upon entrance into the hotel lobby and into my room (I got one with a balcony), I was most impressed. It was very clean and upscale.

I was treated VERY VERY well by the staff at the front desk.

The rooms were very very roomy, the walk-in closet was a dream and the balcony gave me even more square footage. The hotel was quite enjoyable and definitely made me want to spend some time in the room.

I think the only drawback is the location in respect to South Beach and restaurants. It's quite a distance from a lil diner where I got breakfast.

I would definitely stay again if I wanted to be away from the hubub of South Beach. I mean you can always drive if when you want the action, right?

• Liked — Classy
  • Disliked — Distance
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled solo
9 Thank NazNaz
Dear NazNaz,
Thank you for taking your time to provide your feedback from your stay with us.
We are pleased we met your expectations and perhaps even exceeded them. Our location is a global destination for those jetsetters who like to live fast come in and do a quick shopping tour at the Bal Harbour Shops and be on their way. We are only about a 20 minute drive to South Beach and the nightlife, as you experienced. We thank you again for your visit and hope to see you again.
We're going through some great changes in the months to come and hope you'll come experience these changes with us.
Best regards,
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2007

My fiance and I stayed at the Sea View for a quick getaway
May 26th-28th. Overall we were satisfied, but departed feeling that the property doesn't live up to potential. Better communication between staff and greater attention to detail would go far to bridge the gap between a good experience and a great one.

The positives:

Room was ready for 9am check-in. A welcome surprise fresh off the plane.

Olympic size pool with cabanas, lounges and restaurant/bar. The staff was friendly, accessible and helpful.

Lunch/drinks at the pool bar. Bartenders were outgoing and drinks had quite a kick. Food was very good/excellent and arrived promptly.

Twice daily housekeeping that kept eerything very clean and tidy.

The negatives:

The breakfast staff of 6 could barely handle 10 tables, and was heard grumbling excuses to frustrated fellow diners. Things improved considerably with the arrival of a manager, but service was bad, food was bad and overpriced all considered.

Hotel adds 18% tip on all food and drink purchases. It's presented as a guest convience but serves only as a dis-incentive to staff who don't have to work for tips.

$3 for a diet coke is outrageous unless it's being consumed under a palm tree at the Ritz or Four Seasons.

The gift shop, coffee shop and salon was closed 2 of the 3 days of our stay. Low season perhaps, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to staff the amenitites year round (or holiday wknd)

Bellhop was overzealous in taking our bag on arrival, and concierge was MIA when we wanted to leave bag in storage prior to departure.

Finally, we arrived back from dinner one night to find 3 police cars at the hotel. Next day pool was closed due to a "sanitation issue" from previous evening, resulting in pool needing to be fully drained and refilled. Front desk would not confirm nor deny the two were related but we surmise it was a drunken disorderly/vomit in the pool situation or similar.

Bottom line: It was a fair value at the $165 Expedia rate, and we'd probably stay again armed with the knowledge of how to work around/avoid the irritations. Just not sure what the Sea View aspires to be or what type of clientel it wants to attract. There are elements of luxury in the marble floors and crystal chandeliers, and great potential to be more than it is. For us, to date, the customer service and general feel misses the mark.

• Liked — Pool area
  • Disliked — Inconsistencies of service
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank soxfan8914
Sea View Hotel o, Guest Relations Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2014
Dear soxfan8914,
We thank you for the feedback given as we use this to achieve a greater experience for our guests. We are reorienting the staff, as management and our GM has been given your comments. Our guests and their experience is paramount to our goal. We are a hotel with shareholders. The hotel aims to please all of our guests. We take much pride in doing all we can to make sure each guest has a special visit. We apologize if we didn't meet your expectations and hope you give us another try. We have a lot going on now at the hotel with renovating the entrance, façade and installing new a/c system.
We hope to see you again real soon.
Miami Fllorida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2007

It was suposed to be our aniversary. which we usaully spend at the Mayfair house in the grove.(excellant) but we wanted the beach view and a nice pool area. What we got was a great view of the parking lot. , We had to wait for our room . and to top it off . when we complained .we where first told there were no other rooms , Then after my wife called the front desk . all of a sudden a room apeared for an additional $150. up charge. . Needless to say very thing was down hill from there . I got more help from the poolman and bartender than any one in the front desk. including Mr. Jonathan , ! Stay a way ! from this pleace Just two buildings down is the Sheraton Bal harbor , For the same price you get soo much more .

• Liked — Pool service and Sunday breakfast
  • Disliked — Lack of help and careing for thier guests.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blaketri
Sea View Hotel o, Director of Sales at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2014
Dear blaketri,
Thank you for visiting The Sea View Hotel during your travels. We certainly appreciate the feedback from your visit as we always share these comments with our management and staff. This will help us to meet our guests expectations much better. I would like to apologize on behalf of the management and staff for not meeting your expectations during such a special moment in your lives. This could have been handled differently and we hope going forward will be. I would like to invite you back for another special day that you and your loved one can celebrate and assure a much more positive experience this time around. Fell free to reach out to me and we will make this visit one you can't forget!
Feel free to contact me at the Sales Office so we can discuss at 305-866-4441.
Regards,
Rene Lopez
Director of Sales

Travellers are raving about these Bal Harbour hotels

Ottawa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2007

Stayed at the SeaView during Superbowl Weekend. A bit far from South Beach, but much better location and value than many others.

Really liked the hotel; classy, high-quality everything. Had to pay for internet, which I don't like. Lovely pool area; well situated on beach.

What I didn't like is that I didn't get the room I thought I had reserved, which was supposed to be ocean-view, high-up. When I checked in (mid afternoon), I was re-assigned to a second floor room overlooking the parking lot. I beseeched them to find something better and they said they were sold out and couldn't. I didn't believe they couldn't do better since it was so early in the day.

As with all hotels during that weekend, prices were jacked up, although I would say not nearly as much here as elsewhere. Paid about $275 per night (2 nights).

• Liked — Location, on the beach
  • Disliked — Pricey
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank NevBros
Sea View Hotel o, Manager at Sea View Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2014
Dear NevBros,
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased you had a nice stay.
We invite you back as a lot has changed since your last visit. For certain, Wi-Fi is
free to all our guests whether in the lobby, out by the pool or in your room. All inclusive with the room charge. Plus we are upgrading a lot of areas of the hotel starting with installing new a/c system in every room. Moving forward we will be renovating the entrance and façade. We think you'll be impressed.
Hope to see you again real soon.
Anthony Hill
Sarasota, Fl/Paw Paw, W.V.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2006

MY first time at this wonderful hotel. The staff and service has not been lost amongst the multibillion dollars hi rises. Times are changing and I am happy this hotel has not. It has the ambiance of the old Miami, the way it used to be. The personal and friendly service from her employees, the elegance of the Austrian Maria Teresa Crystal chandelier that grace the entrance to this wonderful hotel and having the choice between the city or ocean view. The pool was excellent during my midnight swim.
The dinning area for breakfast was elegant but restful. They had a coffee shop near the pool for a bite to eat without going to your room. A Tiki hut of your favorite cocktail or beverage. Yes, they do believe in making your drinks with a very strong bite. The beach is at your beckoning. Yes, it is worth the stay. You will enjoy it. Learn some history and ask the desk clerk for information on the Austrian Maria Teresa Crystal Chandelier,
you just might want to think of buying one or the smaller version for your living or dining room.

• Liked — King Size Bed and adequate large bathroom .... will not tolerate loud people
  • Disliked — noisy refridgerator
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a six pack aoft drinks, wine coolers, wine and little snacks.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank littlebit
Dear littlebit,
We thank you for your feedback from your most recent stay with us at The Sea View Hotel.
It's always nice to receive fine praises such as yours as we share with our staff. After all, your stay is dependent upon their service and attitude. So the more positive we share with them the happier they are as is our guest.
We are remodeling the hotel but have left that old world charm many have come to love. Upgrading is important to our guests but keeping the same class of hotel is as important which is what we will continue to do. Just modernizing the necessary needs is what we are currently doing.
We hope you return to visit us again sometime soon.
We always welcome you...
The Confidante
The Confidante
#33 of 206 in Miami Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,460 reviews

Been to Sea View Hotel? Share your experiences!