“Beautiful Hotel, bad value for family with younger children”

Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Don't get me wrong. This is a nice, clean, and fancy resort, but I do not think that you get what you pay for. There were no playgrounds, game rooms, or many family activities. I suggest more scheduled family/kids activities and places to go and do at the resort for kids and families. We had to leave to watch movies, play miniature golf, game rooms such as Chuck E Cheese. I was told that there was a game room onsite, but it was not open July 4th weekend. Everything at the hotel centered around single adults or adults without kids even though 70% of the people staying there had kids. Sure the beach was nice, but the pool was not vacumed and had dirt and leaves etc in it. There we NO free kids activities other than going to the beach and playing in the pool. Everything else from hair wraps, tatoos, sand art, and ceramic started at $15 and went up to $60 from there. When you have 3 kids, that is a lot of money for an event. Also, the sailing prices were outrageous. $60/person for a 2 hour cruise. I could have rented a pontoon boat for the day for the cost of a family on the sail boat. I got a discounted rate of $159/night. After you included parking and resort fees and taxes it came out to ~225/night, and this was the cheapest rate. I just do not think that it is a good value for families with younger children. The rooms are fairly small and everything costs extra. I would think that a mini-fridge would be included to keep kids juice boxes etc, but that is an extra charge. I had a car which cost $27/day, but I needed it to keep the kids entertained so I actually spent ~40/day to have a car there after tips. Also, the housekeeping people probably do not drink coffee. One day, there was no creamer and the next day we had no sugar. They brought some up eventually, but the coffee was cold by that point. Also, the guys at the beach watched us carry our chairs near the beach and did not offer any assistance. I guess they were waiting on the cabana and umbrella rentals. The beach and water is beautiful, but I could have stayed at a cheaper place with nicer accomodations and went to the FREE public beach, Deerfield beach, 1.5 miles south of the hotel for much less money.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 July 2010

Luxury to spare what a beautiful place. Try the frozen hot choc, and eat at Lucca the atmosphere and food is amazing. More than 5 stars in my book. The beach club is the best and the shuttle back and forth to the main hotel did a great job.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2010

This hotel is dreadful. If you expect basic service you are not going to receive it. They actually served fruit with mold on it for breakfast. There is no reason for servers to provide any service when their 18% gratuity is automatically included in the bill. None of the light fixtures worked in the tower rooms. I called to complain about the food and service 5 times during my stay and no one called back.

5  Thank unknown53
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Stayed here for one night with my husband and 2 children, ages 7 and 9. The hotel is beautifully appointed. The pool area is very nice, 3 pools, one adults only, one kids only, and one for everyone. The beach is just steps away and the sand is clean and soft. The only bad thing I have to say is the prices are pretty ridiculous. $26 for valet per day, $30+ per person for breakfast, even the poolside snacks are too high ($4 for a cup of Dannon yogurt???). But we got a good deal on the hotel room and were really pleased to spend some time here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Really nice resort, beautiful location. Great food and service. Very expensive and tips are already included for the bell hop etc. Do not tip them or you are paying double.

Reviewed 4 June 2010

This resort is very beautiful. I was there twice in a period of less than one month. Both times I had a premium room facing the beach. The rooms were recently renovated and are very spacious, clean, and comfortable. The bad news is the price. Not only are the rooms very highly priced, there is also a daily $20 resort fee--not sure what I got for that other then the use of a towel at the pool? Also, only valet parking is available (truly, I tried to find an alternate place to park, impossible) they tac on roughly $30 per day just to park your car. Extremely friendly staff, I'd stay there again as long as I'm going on business because there is no way I'd pay those prices on my own. Nice but just a bit too expensive for what you get. Oh yeah, the fitness center is great! Tons of equipment, nice locker room, friendly staff. The hours are not long, or late in the evening. Best of all there is no extra fee...unless you want to consider the $20 daily resort fee. Better hit the gym while you are there to get your $'s worth.

Reviewed 2 June 2010

Travelled here between Christmas and New Years with wife, kids, my cousin and her family, and with our respective parents visiting during the day from another hotel.

I really enjoyed my stay. I thought the rooms were nice, but definitely a little small for a family of four. We were there on Hilton points, but if you feel flush enough, you can get two rooms together and actually close an outer door to create a suite with one entrance from the outside. A good option if you want to feel safe about sticking the kids in another room. The pools also work well, with a beach-like kiddie pool as well as a nice family pool.

The downside was it was definitely crowded (that could have also been a function of the fact we were there right at the peak of the season). Its a beach club, so during the day the beach and the pools get pretty crowded with people from outside the resort (we were as guilty as anyone for that, since our parents joined us from elsewhere). The big drawback though is cost. The room rate is what it is, and as mentioned above, we used points. But every snack, every burger, every hot dog, every buffet breakfast you get on that resort will cost you. I generally don't dwell on high prices, but you have to be a pretty free spender not to notice. Since the resort is a bit isolated, (the best option is a shuttle or a ferry to the main Waldorf resort across the water), there's really no other choice. You should just figure an extra $60+ per person into your budget if you go.

As for the main resort, we had lunch at Morimoto and I actually found it a bit disappointing. On the other hand, we really enjoyed our family dinner at Serendipity. The breakfast buffet is fantastic but also fantasically expensive.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
Wyndham Deerfield Beach Resort
#1 of 18 in Deerfield Beach
Hyatt Place Boca Raton/Downtown

Been to Boca Beach Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort? Share your experiences!