“Each dish is impeccably crafted on the spot and is consistently spot on.”
Review of Caruso Ristorante - CLOSED

Caruso Ristorante
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: US1
Beverly Hills, CA
“Each dish is impeccably crafted on the spot and is consistently spot on.”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Having only visited Caruso's Ristorante once before to ring in a New Year, I suggested a return visit to a journalist who writes for the Handelsblatt, the German equivelant of the Wall Street Journal.

While awaitng our table an apertif was suggested in the adjacent Bar Rouge. The size of a walk in closet; the mini bar and ample private chefs table boasts an impeccable selection of hand-crafted single malts, grappas and cognacs.

For the multi-course meal to follow expectations may be kept exceedingly high. The proficient waitstaff, donned in starchy white shirts and floor length aprons, is at the ready to serve a superlative selection of authentic Italian dishes paired with an inventive wine and prosecco list provided by Fabio of Tuscany Distributors.

The menu selections are predicated on seasonal availability and represent a vast variety of distinct Italian regions. Each dish is impeccably crafted on the spot and is consistently spot on. On this particular night the Farrotto with fresh Porcini was redolent with black truffles enough to make one swoon. With offerings from Milano to Molise the au courant guests dip and dive while sopping up the last morsels of marrow spooned from the Ossobuco alla Milanese con Risotto alo Zafferano. Talk about signature dishes.

Caruso’s is an ‘insiders’ place that wishes to remain decidedly under the hoi polli’s heat seeking radar. Signage at Carusos would be redundant. This is a destination restaurant, no GPS required. Guests gravitate to Carusos by way of global word-of-mouth. For example, one regular is the founder of Arizona Iced Tea. He mentions the place to a CEO golf buddy whose friend, L’Pro Eddie Merrins happens to be in from Bel Air to be inducted in the PGA Hall of Fame. Whether in from Bel Air, Manhattan, Rome or Aspen, “Check out Carusos Ristorante in Boca” is a constant refraim among those in the know.

In an intimate room that seats 45 guests, the commraderie is palatable. Gina Caruso , a northern Italian beauty, by way of Chicago, takes strident steps to work the room like a seasoned maestro. She is donned in a form fitting Pucci dress with deep green eyes to match. She keeps her guests enthralled with an expression so attentive that one would believe they are her reason for living.

The coming and going of gourmands, foodies, scions, luminaries and movie producers could easily fill a page in Vanity Fair. As the night gained momentum the dinner parties became a bit more boisterous. A steady stream of new arrivals became instant members of an extended family that harkens back to the mid last century when Gina's grandfather founded the original Caruso's in Chicago.

• Visited February 2012

Clermont, Florida
“A touch of modern Italy that's sure to please”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

With gift coupon in hand, we ventured to Boca Raton, land of a thousand restaurants. We arrived early and for about an hour, we were the only customers. We were greeted warmly and, of course, had our choice of tables. The menu is varied with traditional dishes cooked in the style of different districts in Italy. First we were presented with excellent breads with olive oil already on the table. I started with the a very tasty tortellini soup. We then shared the fettuccine bolognese- it's ok but not the best meat sauce I've had. My date had the petti di pollo alla Napoleton and I picked the vitella a la marsala. The chicken dish was very good but the veal was outstanding.
Service at Caruso's is very attentive and helpful. We'll be back.

• Visited February 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Delicious Freshed Cooked Food! Better than Mom!”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

First time here. Highly recommend! Great Sweet Potato Chicken soup purée and great walnut, arugula and pear salad.

Also, I had Veal Saltimbocca with spinach and potatoes. It was fantastic!
My sister had shrimp and scallop scampi with sautéed mushrooms. It was flavored perfectly.

This meal was so good and our server was so attentive and pleasant, we will be back!!!

Please try this great restaurant.

Boca Raton, FL
“Too many great Italian places in Boca to waste time on this one!!”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

My husband and I have been wanting to try this place since Cafe Joley (which we both loved) closed, and we did tonight. First of all, it's a nice place to sit and talk and linger, hence the 2 stars. The hostess was very friendly...assuring us "you'll be back!" when we were seated.
It seemed the place has one employee who served each table as both waiter and busboy. He was very nice and efficient, though his sleeve sat on my pasta as he served it!
Now we come to the food. The olive oil brought out with the bread looked nice and green, but tasted a bit rancid. We ordered the arugula salad which was okay, if a bit vinegary. The pastas were not good at all. My husband got the chicken parm and he kept swearing that his side of pasta tasted like lemon soap! I didn't get that, but it wasn't good red sauce by any means. My pasta was the spinach fettucine with pink sauce. It was matted together and had a kind of funny flavor, can't put my finger on it, like the flavors did not go together well. It comes with sausage, and I changed it to prosciutto, which reminded me of diced Oskar Myer ham pieces!
We got good reviews from friends, and we really wanted to like it, but there are just too many excellent Italian places in Boca to waste time on this one! Sorry!

• Visited August 2011