“Yum Yum Sushi Ray!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Child-friendly
Danbury, CT
“Yum Yum Sushi Ray!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Beautiful restaurant in an active, opulent strip shopping mall. Parking is tough but Sushi Ray makes it all worth it. A wonderful assortment of Sushi, Stir Fry and Hibachi dishes, (including the family-style Hibachi Grill with the highly entertaining, shrimp-flipping chefs) there's something for everyone at Ray's. Lots of families at the Grills, couples in the low-light, comfortable interior, and a mix at the outside table. Strangelys, eating outside is not affected by the parking lot circus. Service is excellent, the food is excellent (the sushi rolls are huge! Order one dish at a time!) Try "Ray's Dream", it is wonderful! Ray is there himself looking over the operation, making sure everything runs smoothly. Prices are very reasonable for a high-end sushi restaurant in a location like this, but I only had Sushi and drinks. Also, the bar has one of the most comprehensive Sake menus I've ever seen! The bartender, Kobe, was very helpful in making my choice--if you know about Sake, you'll find a great selection here; if you don't, you may want to study up on Sake!
Comment on the negative reviews:
I saw none of this when I was here, however, do understand the LOCATION and REGULAR CLIENTELE of this Shopping Center and you will understand why the staff may be under pressure at certain times in the year (like "Season"). Ray's does not take reservations, so be prepared--pick your day and time wisely, and be prepared to wait or maybe not--I did not have to wait and I was enjoying my Sake lesson from Kobe at the bar!

• Visited December 2013

Boca Raton, Florida
“Beware they will overcharge your credit card!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

BEWARE THEY WILL OVERCHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD! Check your credit card receipt. The last two times I dined here they charged my credit card incorrectly. The first time was less then $2. Okay ,maybe an honest mistake, possibly. The second time was over $40!!! They just added it to their tip thinking maybe I wouldn't notice?!. When I called about this I was never treated more rudely in my life.

i was told by the owenr Ray "we get phone calls like this all the time so I can't refund anything until you get your credit card statement" In other words I have to wait till my credit card company sends me a bill! Even though it has offically posted on my credit card and is no longer pending so i'm 100% certain this is what i'm being charged and specifically how much extra was placed on the tip,

You might think if you get calls like this all the time perhaps your staff is up to no good and trying to tack extra money on their tips with all of your customers?! I Maybe that is how you should be handling these calls and be concenred for the reputation of your business?

I can not believe the disrgard I was shown. The place is always packed and they probably wont' go out of busienss anytime soon, but with treating people this way i'm shocked it has not caught up with them yet. It will eventually. Stay away from this place if you value your hard earned money.

• Visited November 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi In Boca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Great service, awesome food, get the dynamite roll & volcano roll.
Ray the owner is always there and he takes care of everyone.
Not to crowded so reservations are not usually needed.

Visited October 2013
Bostonian turned Floridian
“Rude, lied to us, and beyond discourteous”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We left before we were seated. The two men manning the seating process were rude, lied to us and were discourteous on top of that.

I had made a reservation for my husband's birthday at the hibachi table for 7p. He had never had hibachi so I thought this would be fun. The night before our dinner I called to confirm. The same man who booked the reservation said they do not accept reservations for 4 people. I reminded him that he booked it. He checked his book and confirmed.

The night of our dinner, my friend arrived at 6:45p - the first to arrive of our party. When she checked in at the host stand (with the same man who booked my reservation), he said they do not accept reservations for 4 people. He did not check the book to see that he had done so for us. My other friend arrived at 6:51p. He checked in (not seeing our other friend). The man who booked my reservation told him, "You're late. We gave your table away." Apparently Sushi Ray believed our reservation to be at 6:45pm. Even if that were the correct time, 6 minutes late and they gave our table away? Wow.

My husband and I arrived just before 7p. I was told that our table was almost ready and that people were finishing up. (They did not mention what had happened with either of my friends.) At 7:23p, and after a couple more times of being told almost ready and they are finishing up, we had not yet been seated. We were told we could order appetizers and drinks (at the table near the host stand). At this point, in our opinion, a good manager who cared about guests would have offered appetizers and drinks complimentary.

After that, I went and took a look at the hibachi tables myself. Sushi Ray has two U shaped tables, each with two hibachi cooking stations. The guests at one hibachi table were just starting. The guests at the other table were a birthday group. At 7:30p, a birthday cake was served to that group. We said to Sushi Ray that they were certainly not finishing up. They said those guests had arrived late and so the restaurant was running behind. Wow. They concluded we were late and gave our table away!

They ruined the beginning of my husband's birthday celebration. We took our business a few shops down to Brio Tuscan Grille. We were treated like royalty. Even the manager, Tyrell, saw that we enjoyed ourselves. Thankfully Brio saved the evening and we had an amazing time there.

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Larkspur, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Sushi Ray was recommended to me from the hotel. It was delicious and great portions and the service was warm and friendly. Thank you

Visited October 2013