“Trains, fire alarms & mosquitoes”

SpringHill Suites Boca Raton
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Boca Raton
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The place looked nice at first but turned out to be a complete nightmare. It's located right next to train tracks that are used by commuter trains running from West Palm to Miami. Trains run from 4am until 9pm and they blow their horn when passing by the hotel as there's a rail road crossing just a few hundred feet away from the hotel. So if you are a light sleeper and your room is facing the tracks, be prepared to be woken up at 4am by the rumbling noise of a train followed by a train horn whistle. The building also has a problem with electric surges that trigger the fire alarm system. During the first night of our stay, we had to evacuate the building at 4am and wait outside in the pouring rain for the fire fighters to come over and check out the building. A few of the people mentioned that this is the 2nd evacuation for them during their stay and that the 1st evacuation was also due to an electric surge. The next day, when people were checking out and asking to see the manager, the front desk clerk kept telling everyone that there's no manager on site (the manager is supposedly located at a sister property somewhere in that area and doesn't come to the Springhill Suites, which is hard to believe considering how big the hotel is). The clerk also said that he wasn't authorized to give any discounts because the electric surge was weather-related. Now, it might have very well been weather-related BUT it wouldn't have been an issue if the hotel had proper surge protection in place, so the hotel should have offered apologies and discounts for everyone affected by the evacuation. The hotel should also invest in acoustic-grade insulation and multiple-pane windows to reduce the train noise. Finally, there were mosquitoes in our room buzzing all night long but, compared to trains and fire alarms, this was really nothing to worry about.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not facing the train tracks
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank VicUSofA
SpringHillSuitesBoca, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Boca Raton, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent visit with us. Yes, the hotel sits very close to the railroad track that handles the Tri-rail between Miami and West Palm Beach. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the train horn, which is not suppose to sound throughout Boca Raton on an ordinance established into law over 5 years ago. I am presently addressing this with the City of Boca. The power surges’ that occurred during your visit did not result in the prompting of the fire alarm being activated. Power surges will not trigger this system. The fire department is directly connected to our hotel and responds within minutes after activation of this system. Once the fire department arrives and deems the building safe, then and only then is the alarm silenced. I do apologize for not having a manager speak with you during this situation. There is always a manager on site to help those guests that need assistance. The manager was dealing with another guest during your inquiry. In addressing the quality of our room insulation, our rooms are double insulated because of the train along with impact glass to secure our rooms are secure if confronted by a hurricane. I am not sure how mosquitoes got into your room as our windows do not open. If you were located on the first floor of our hotel, it is possible that a mosquito could have gotten into the building from an exterior entrance. Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit. Our goal is to meet and hopefully exceed our guests expectations of our hotel and its services. I am truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations due to these issues that you brought forth in this review. If your travel plans bring you back into this area, I would personally like to handle your reservation and meet you upon your arrival.

John Barone

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Boca Raton

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a month on business. The rooms were very cLean, and staff was friendly but security guard a little blunt.
Breakfast and coffee was hot and fresh every day.
Pretty well maintained, very quiet, convenient to interstate, shopping, and beaches

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here 2x in the past month or so. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The first time we were there, we had to switch rooms. i think we were too close to the elevator. The next room had a broken door lock but the 3rd room was fine. 3-4 weeks later, which was last week, we stayed again. The first room the toilet was not 'secure' so we switched to the end room on the 5th floor. I forget the number. Of course, the lock was still broken on the door! This is terrible that it was still broken. The next room was fine. I think the rooms needs some updating but for the price, it was fine. Breakfast buffet was better than Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LISA C
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The rooms are "HOT" for the price! It was so cozy...I didn't feel like I was in a hotel. The room was very clean and newly renovated. Yessy gave me great service at the front desk. I want to go back!!

Room Tip: Always check the room before you check in. Just in case you don't like it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Arriving late, I was welcomed by the front desk clerk and quickly checked in so I could get to my room and much needed sleep. And then, every business travelers worst nightmare...Sheets that are NOT clean. It was too late at night (and I had already gotten ready for bed) to go down and through the hassle of changing rooms.

My next surprises hit me like cold water in the face...specifically from the water from the shower. It took a good 5 minutes to warm up...and I could only wonder if this was due to the all of the plumbing from the shower literally falling out of the wall. The shower head, faucet, were all loose to touch and I thought they'd come apart in my hand. I also noticed around the sink; it wasn't clean. The sealant around the sick was old, cracked and brown in color with the remains of a number of other guests body hair stuck to it. And all I with say about the toilet seat was that it was falling off.

The other unnerving aspect of this hotel was the elevators. One of them had a "hiccup" when it was coming to the floor and the door hesitated to open. The other unit moved incredibly slowly. I was in it twice with other guests and we were all commenting that we'd hope we'd make it to our floor without a problem. Neither seemed safe.

The breakfast was standard, it was nice to see fresh bananas and oranges. The scrambled eggs were not of good quality and tepid in the chafing dish. Nice selection of beverages in the morning. The internet worked well and the parking lot is lit up nicely and easily accessible to the 95.

When I left the hotel, I noticed the housekeeping service is managed by Jani-King. I can only imagine if this is the reason why the room was dirty and not up to typical Marriott standard.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms next to the ice makers as they are loud.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Backstreets1250
SpringHillSuitesBoca, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Boca Raton, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your visit with us. It is extremely important for us to receive feedback regarding our service and overall quality of the hotel, as this enables us to identify areas that need attention. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Our goal is to address your concerns, so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit. We have addressed the issues you raised with both our housekeeping and maintenance departments regarding your room. You are a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope that you would give us another opportunity to serve you again as your travels bring you back into our area.

John Barone

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I recently stayed 6 nights during a business trip. The hotel offers a clean room, a nice common area with plenty of space for breakfast, and a convenient location. The rate is reasonable compared to other local hotels.

I will certainly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The staff were very pleasant and friendly. We loved the early 6:00am coffee station and breakfast. We didn't have a chance to use the pool but I was impressed to see it had a handycap apparatice that was in use.
The big plus is the fact that its right off the I95.
Room service was interesting that if you left a shirt on the bed then you can be sure it will not be made nor was the garbage can emptyed.

Room Tip: Have lots of water as the rooms are dry.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
SpringHillSuitesBoca, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Boca Raton, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your most recent stay with us. I am delighted that our location was convenient for you. I would like to apologize for not having your room serviced to your expectations. Normally, when a guest leaves belongings on the bed, the room attendant that is servicing your room will not move any guest belongings. The issue with your garbage being removed will be addressed with our housekeeping department.
Your feedback was appreciated. We look forward to having you with us again if your travels bring you back into our beautiful city