“Unpretentious setting delivering real quality food”
Review of Smokin' Joe's BBQ

Smokin' Joe's BBQ
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 15 May 2014

What a find. Its setting is on a busy street with a large black smoker outside. The cafe/restaurant part is spartan but clean. The tables comfortable and the orders placed at the counter. What matters is how good the B'bq is. I had the ribs which were cooked perfectly and my guest had risket again cooked perfectly. Both came with two sides - cooked freshly from fresh ingredients. The value was exceptional.

3  Thank RaiDoc

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Ate with my teenage son after a round of golf. Two sandwiches, soda, and sides, all for less than a burger without fries or a drink at nearby Streamsong.

This is what you should expect in Polk County FL. Real people, real food, real down home flavor.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Ok, we drove by this place heading south on Highway 17 at about . They already had the smoker that is in front of the building fired up and in full cooking mode. We could see the smoke from quite a distance and not to much further down the road the smell of the BBQ was off the hook. We went to a creek off of the Peace River for a day of fossil hunting. When done we made a "B" - Line right to Smokin' Joe's. This is a counter service restaurant but it had ample in side seating and a salad bar. The dining area was very clean and the fixing counter had plenty of condiments. We were kind of covered in mud from our fossil hunting so I placed our order and we at one of the picnic tables they had out front. I had the 9 inch Cuban. It was cut in 3 sections and had about 1/4 pound of pulled pork, good size portion of ham and swiss cheese, pickles, mustard and I added jalapenos to it. Danielle had the pulled pork combo. This sandwich was on one of the biggest buns i've see. It had to have at least 1/2 pound of lean pulled pork. It also came with 2 sides so we ordered to baked beans and cole slaw. Both were pretty tasty. They had Sweet, Tangy, Spicy and regular BBQ sauce. All were home made and very good. Even after a hard day of digging we were only able to eat 1/3 of my Cuban and 1/2 of the pulled pork along with the 2 sides. The rest will be for lunch today and we may still have some left overs. All of this plus 2 cans of soda for just about $15.00. Needless to say if i lived nearby this would be a frequent meal and I could easily gain 2,000 pounds.

1  Thank ericbreuer
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Went there a little late but the pork bbq was good the potato salad was fresh and ver good. The portions are big if its just the two of you order 1 sandwich. Try it i think you will like it. I will go there again.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The outside of this building is a little creepy, which kept us from stopping in for months. Finally, we thought we'd give it a try and buy some carry-out .. and we were so glad we did! The food is really good. We bought a slab of BBQ ribs $21 and a pound of pulled pork $9. The portions were huge & we had many meals from this. The inside of the restaurant was not someplace that I would like to eat in, so that is why I gave this 4 stars instead of 5. Next time we are by Smokin Joe's, we will definitely stop in for carry out.