“Great Time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kabetogama
Driftwood Lodge Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Kabetogama
Waverly, Iowa
“Great Time”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hard to believe the negative reviews based upon our trip in late June-early July. Prior to arrival, we called and e-mailed various questions which were quickly and politely answered. Check-in (by Dawn) was a breeze. Our cabin was clean and everything worked. Our refrigerator wasn't quite level but was taken care of quickly after we mentioned it. We enjoyed our guide experience (4 hours) and Kent was quite knowledgeable and friendly. We had an issue with our trolling motor, but it was addressed right away and we were back on the water. Special mention of the dock boys - Ryan and Tanner. They were always around to help in any way they could. Everything we asked for they provided quickly and with a smile. VERY pleasant young men! And what a treat to have the fish cleaned and packaged when we came in. We were there on July 4th. The owners decorated the lodge with flags and invited everyone up for cake and homemade ice cream - things they didn't have to do. It was a very nice surprise. I might mention that this was three weeks after a freak storm destroyed their dock and slips, requiring the dock boys to put boats in and take them out with a skid loader. They still had a building partially under water. All of this stress and the owners and employees remained friendly, upbeat and responsive. Check-out only took a few minutes. All four in my group give a big thumbs-up for Driftwood.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tom M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I don't know where all this bashing is coming from. I was just up there over Memorial day weekend of this year (2014) and we had a great trip. We got the trip through Whitetails Unlimited and were a tad skeptical after a few bad reviews, and that was quickly erased when we got there. The boat we had originally had rented, had some prop damage the prior week, and instead of boosting us in price they gave us a much nicer boat for the same price as the previously rented boat. I really like that the owners of the camp do not breathe down your throat like other resorts, but at the same time we there if we needed them for anything. The dock boys are what really made the trip that much better, very helpful, knowledgeable, and nice. Every time you pull back into the dock, they make the effort to help you tie up the boat, fill your minnows, and pull the fish out of the live well to clean them for you. Tip them well, they put in a lot of work during the week. I also saw someone bash the cabins...what did you expect in a northern Minnesota trip, a 5 star hotel? The cabin was PERFECT for what this trip is, a FISHING TRIP, not an all inclusive cruise people!!!! The cabin actually seemed like a high end place compared to other places I've stayed in on trips like these. The fishing was actually great too, we got stuck with some pretty unseasonably hot weather which made the fishing sporadic at times, but hey that's fishin. Overall we had a great trip and WILL be going back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Just got back from an amazing week at Driftwood Lodge. Cannot wait to go back. We had a group of 8 and stayed comfortably in the Moose cabin. It was perfect. Everyone had their own bed and space. Two full bathrooms was a huge plus. All cabins are within a stones throw of the lake. I already miss my morning view. Fishing was fantastic. We pulled a lot of fish out that we had to throw back because of the 17-28 limit but still had enough for a huge fish fry and a few filets for home. The staff and service at Driftwood could not have been better. The guy at our dock was always available and asking if he could help clean fish, get us bait, etc. Tip these guys well at the end of your trip - they deserve it!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Megan5283
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 April 2014

...I finally found some time to do this review...this is a first and a last I hope. When we arrived the owners ..I wont say there names but he never got up off the couch to greet his patrons of well over a thousand dollars, and she ( desk gal ) tells us a higher boat rental price the first quoted. There is a reason the website only put a small pic of cabin interior ...

Below you can read krisq78 review ..and he mentions they lost the cover of the boats motor.. that has to be true because our rental had a cover that was literally spray painted black. .We called her... "the black widow" ...I just laugh thinking back ...oh, there is a lot more...this piece of work boat had a bad gas gauge... the batteries went dead on us out on this huge lake with sketchy phone service.. they finally had to change motors for us. what a joke. We were denied hours and hours of fishing due to the boat.

Yes, that is a pic of us being towed back by dock boy...that's just the boat issues, note the fancy fridge you will receive to your surprise.. with the Clamato juice breaks on the floor when you open the fridge door... did I mention the dry rot net the boat rental supplied us with the 6 inch hole my northern slipped happily thru ?...really?...really? o and the maintenance guy running around the resort looking in bushes for the breaker box cause half the cabins lost power as we watch from our deck..to funny.

I tell ya, our group has stayed at Kab for years and we try different resorts.. but this one took the cake. .I am only giving a review of what we went thru with this place. I hope you got mechanical skills... you will need them.. the owners knocked off a days rental on the boat.. but we lost a day with all the boloney with it in the first place. When you plan a trip for a year, and you get this ...well ...enjoy your stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank minnvikes10
DriftwoodLodgeResort, General Manager at Driftwood Lodge Resort, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
All I can say, there are always two sides to every story. If it was such a bad trip, why did it take a year to post/review it.

He left out a couple of important topics about the groups behavior while they were here. If someone would really wants to know the details, please call and ask.
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We had a wonderful time at Driftwood. The fishing guide was very helpful and we caught a lot of fish. We want to bring other people with us next year. It is very clean and if you had any problem they took care of it right away. We had dock boy's that were very helpful and they even took care of our fish which were packaged to eat then or ready to take home. The wild life was amazing. Check in and check out was a breeze. The staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome at all times.We can't wait to get back to Driftwood. We highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
midwest
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just read the below review and needed to comment. We've been coming to Kabetogama for many years. While we've never stayed at Driftwood (not because there is anything wrong with it, it looks very good; we're just attached to the resort we've been staying at for years), we have frequently rented boats from them.

I'm writing because we've had nothing but a good experience. Driftwood rents good boats at reasonable prices. The staff has always been polite, prompt and courteous even though we don't stay there. We've been very satisfied and pleased with their service and the owners.

I understand people have different experiences but I wanted to share ours. I'm also a little hesitant because I want a boat available to us from them this year and I don't want the word to get out.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank marriedwithchildren7
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We won this trip through a Whitetails Unlimited banquet. I really love the north woods and was especially looking forward to this trip. When we called to make our reservations, there was absolutely no hassles, no playing the 21 question game about whether or not this was actually won at the banquet ( way too easy). About 3 weeks before going up, I called to re-confirm our stay--- absolutely no problems again. It was if the book was opened to our name.
We arrive about 6 PM on Saturday and check in was easier than I have ever seen....anywhere. Basically, she Introduced herself, the dockhand, the dog, and you are in Driftwood Cabin #9...."Have a pleasant stay".
Really could not have been any easier.
The dockhand, Alex, was quick to offer any help. Never seen anyone with so much energy. He met us at the dock when we returned from fishing, cleaned our catch and brought it to our cabin wrapped as if it came from the market. Alex was quick, unassuming, professional, and he liked his job! Was there to get us our minnows or gas, when we asked.
The grounds are clean and mowed. Not much of a place to bring children, a wife (if she likes to fish), and no pets.
The lake is huge. Bring a GPS or you are likely to get lost. Lots of rocks to be cautious about. Use your aluminum prop, just in case!
If you need supplies, International Falls is about 15 minutes away. There are closer places, but they charge handsomely for that convenience. No beer or liquor sales on Sunday in Minnesota.
There is power at the docks. Some soda and a very small amount of fishing gear at the lodge.
The cabins are very clean and offered a comfortable place to stay. It is not the Holiday Inn, but this is a fishing camp. The cabins come with A/C in the bedroom and satelite TV, a deck and a Weber grill. Also.. No Smoking.
Check out was a breeze. They left an itemized bill at our door Friday evening, (gas & minnows) and we squared up with them Saturday morning when we left.
They are not the type of camp hosts that will wander around, looking to chat. This is not a social place, but everyone in camp was pleasant.
Fishing was off the week we where there, but I spoke to the DNR field man, and he says that the locals always seem to get their limits. It is a lot of lake to get to know in one week. We did not hire a guide, but I would recommend it in order to put more fish in the boat. We did OK, but the cabins that out-fished us, bought a guide package.
There were several in camp that had a come to hunt bear too.
Highly recommend this for fisherman. (We did not hunt)

Room Tip: The Driftwood side is nicer than the Deerhorn portion.