“A terrific local experience”

Deep South Family Bar-B-Que
Ranked #12 of 134 Restaurants in Brooksville
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 26 August 2008

My mom and I stopped by one afternoon to investigate having Deep South Family BBQ cater my brother's 50th birthday party. An hour later we left smiling, stuffed to the gills and true believers.

The food was the hit of the party; in fact, everyone refused to go home until we brought out the leftovers and offered up a late supper. The fried green tomatoes are outstanding, but then again so are the smoked sausages...and the ribs...and the beans...you REALLY should try this place, whether you're eating in or catering a large gathering. The restaurant is small but spotless, and the proprieter is an absolute sweetheart. Great place for families.

3  Thank fl_native_001

Reviewed 10 May 2008

I love everything about Deep South Family Bar B Que. The atmosphere is great-it is a very quaint spot with a screened in dining area with picnic tables. Outside there is a little park area with swings. The menu is huge for a small restaurant. The absolute MUST HAVE's are the corn dodgers and the fried pickles. They are the BEST anywhere! I also love the chicken breast sandwhich and my husband loves the pulled pork. Kids really love the peanut butter sandwhich-it is grilled the way Elvis likes it.

The owner is a genuinely nice man who will sit and talk to you forever and it just feels nice to support local business owners. You MUST try this restaurant, please take my word for it!

Don't forget to order the corn dodgers!

2  Thank jersey45king
Reviewed 10 March 2008

I noticed this Barbecue while driving it looked interesting and figured I try it. Nice place looks clean and the eating area is six picnic type tables in a screened in area and several outside. I ordered a pulled pork sandwich which came with two sides. The sides list is extensive and I went with fried green tomatoes (a specialty) and fried plantains.

The food was prepared quickly and the sides were very good the tomatoes came with a dip and were well above average. The pulled pork sandwich was lean and good as well, but I had to put extra sauce on it for moisture. But a very good pulled pork all the same.

Stopped again for dinner several days later and tried the rib dinner. My sides were of course the green tomatoes and baked beans which is a major specialty labeled the best in the world)

The tomatoes once again perfect, the rest was VERY disappointing to the point that I tossed most of it.

The beans I thought were below average very heavy with to much pulled pork in them and just tasted greasy like the pan drippings go into them. The ribs were just plain bad, extremely fatty almost like a country rib very obvious they were not a quality cut of pork, no noticeable rub or smoke flavor present to even help the three sad bones.

Its a shame as the owner seems to be a extremely nice southern gentleman and runs a comfortable place. His menu even states vets and current military eat free.

Take this review as you will that is why I titled it like I did I would probably go back when I am in the area as my lunch was very good but I would never order ribs or beans again. Give them a try and post your thoughts.

3  Thank firestalker