“Yum!”

Ranked #1 of 136 Restaurants in Brooksville
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: The Florida Cracker Kitchen is Family owned resturant by 2 brothers that were born and raised in the business. The Kitchen is a laid back atmosphere with southern hospitality and real food like your mom used to make. We bake our own Bread and Biscuits daily and everything is made with heart and soul. As the name says the Florida Cracker Kitchen brings back the old florida and the tastes that accompany it. We take shrimp and grits to another level with our homemade Tomato Gravy and saute fresh shrimp in and pour it over grit cakes and it will make your tongue slap your brains out! Hopefully we will see you soon!
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Some friends of ours went to this place after visiting the same farm we did a day before. We decided to follow their lead and we are glad we did. My boyfriend had the gator po' boy and he is a po' boy fanatic. He was not at all disappointed and really loved it! We shared a bowl of the gumbo and the okra with the grit cake on top really added to the great flavor. I had the panko crusted chicken strips and they were so crunch and not at all greasy. We live in St.Pete with a lot of wonderful restaurants but I can say that this was a delicious experience we would definitely have again!

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I stopped by the kitchen to try the catfish special. The fish was excellent, three large fillets fried perfectly with a traditional corn meal breading. French fries were hot and crispy, just the way I like them. The cole slaw was good, but a little wilted. The restaurant is clean and the service very good. It is located a little off the beaten path but it is worth searching out.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

What a delight this was to find. Ordered Shrimp & Grits and was so surprised with the presentation and taste! Its a must on a your trip.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

If not for TA, I wouldn't have SEEN Florida Cracker Kitchen, much less stopped. Tiny and unassuming from the outside, the food is way better than you'd expect. As mentioned by another reviewer, they certainly could smile more, but that wouldn't make the food any better. A Friday lunch was not terribly busy so service was pretty quick; burger was done right and salad was crispy fresh with warm shrimp. Yum!

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I'm a fourth-generation Floridian, and very fond of cracker cooking. So on a recent business trip into Brooksville, my companion and I took note of the Florida Cracker Kitchen sign as we sped toward town. On the way back out of town we decided to stop, fully expecting the "usual" offerings of chicken-fried steak, catfish, and maybe some alligator bites.

Oh my. The menu was nothing at all like I expected, but I'm eager to return again and again, as I hard a hard time deciding which of a number of scrumptious-sounding dishes would be my initiation into the imagination of the Florida Cracker Kitchen.

I settled on 10,000 Island Shrimp & Grits, a clever take on a favorite classic. Grits were served as "grit cakes," which looked a lot like cornbread wedges but were much more dense; crisp on the outside, moist and flavorful on the inside. The grit cakes were topped with fresh, plump shrimp sauteed with tomato gravy (a Cracker staple) and bacon. The presentation was whimsical; I don't know quite how to describe it, let's just say that it wasn't just tasty food plopped on a plate ... though I would've been more than satisfied with that, I appreciated the extra artistic touch.

My companion chose the Salmon Omelette, featuring fresh grilled salmon with onion and spinach and accompanied by skillet potatoes. She reported it as "delicious" ... though she didn't do a whole lot of talking after her food was served. :-)

As good as the food was, the care we received was even better. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and lunch, and we arrived perilously close to the 2:30 closing time. However, we were greeted and served graciously and unhurriedly.

Brooksville has a real gem in the Florida Cracker Kitchen. It's probably a 10 mile or so detour off of I-75 for travelers, but unless you're in a great big hurry, it's definitely worth the extra time.