Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Cape Canaveral
boston
“Bee City!”
Reviewed 7 November 2007

We stayed at Ron Jon's from 11/2-11/7 with relatives who own a timeshare.
Positives:
nice tiki bar&friendly bar staff, nice pool area.

Negatives: $25 a day to rent a beach chair/umbrella. At any decent resort you would not PAY for a beach chair. As someone coming from out of state I could not bring a chair with me and it seemed unreasonable to pay $100 for the week to rent a chair and umbrella.
The resort was infested with bees the entire time we were there. I saw numerous people get stung, one being my 4 year old daughter when she was supposed to be having fun on the lazy river. This was an extremely disappointing part of our stay, and luckily no one in our party was allergic to bees-I can't imagine if someone was.
Sales staff/constant tours: We got used the constant flow of people on tour of the resort. One unfortunate incident I was witness to was what I assume to be a supervisor walking thru the pool area, chastising an employee about the tour she had given. He was admonishing her, one part of the conversation I clearly heard was "Now you just gave away a tram ride for free". The employee was clearly uncomfortable and I would have thought these types of discussions would go on behind closed doors. Yes, we know you are trying to sell rooms in your hotel, but as guests it is not something you want/need to know about.

All in all, we did have a fun time more than likely due to the good weather and the company we had.

Consider all the factors above before booking or buying at Ron Jon's.

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank bostontraveler1125

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 November 2007

Hi all. When vacationing in Orlando we always try for a 1 or 2 day pre-vacation kind of warmup at Cocoa Beach or vicinity, and we enjoy shopping at Ron Jon's. During this visit we were invited to the RJCC Resort up the road and enticed with a 1 night free stay at the place. Since we were going to be in Orlando anyway, we took the offer, for $20.00, to be refunded to us after our tour of the place, and the promise of a $100.00 check from Ron Jon for accepting the offer to tour.
We were adamant about getting a Saturday night at the RJCC and not some nearby Holiday Inn or equivalent. We wanted to actually experience the place.
I was most surprised that they granted us this demand. This impressed me. I think it demonstarted a confidence in the product that they were going to try and sell to me.
We met our end of the bargain by showing up for our tour at 10AM on a Saturday. We were booked for that very night.
The tour was the usual time share thing, which I actual enjoy. Yes, call me weird, but I try and always learn something from each presentation about the time share idea that I sit through.

In this instance I toured the RJCC's 2 BR lock-off, being sold as an every other year, deeded, and floating ownership kind of thing.
I admit to being naive about this entire real estate idea.
Anyway, we viewed both rooms carefully. I especially look for a great, functional balcony or terrace or porch, and in Florida I want it screened in. I love to get up early and have my coffee on a balcony and watch the earth come alive, especially at the shore. I like to get early morning sun in my face, even in Florida.
A view is great but I realize that the view that you actually get will vary with when you book the place and for what season so I just note what locations that I would want most to avoid.
The unit that we viewed was, of course, overlooking the big water feature below, probably the best view in the building. I note that rooms on the North side would be in shade but would be viewing the passage of the huge Cruise Ships as they venture out to sea thru a channel from Port Caneveral that is almost directly off the balcony of these rooms. You can actually see the pictures broadcast to the on deck passengers on the Disney Cruise Ship's big video screen as it sails by.

I also look for closet space because I hate having to struggle to find stuff that I packed because I had to stuff it all in 1 or 2 vanity drawers or hang it up in a closet in the living room or other bedroom. I want the master bedroom to have master closet space. So I snoop around looking at this type of thing. The salesman usually paces nervously as I do this. I also check for ceiling fans as I enjoy sleeping with a constant breeze and hate those intervals when the a.c. kicks off and all air movement stops. I usually wake up gasping for breath as I stumble into the LR to turn down the thermostat and kick the a.c back on then an hour later I am freezing.
I also scout the place for a functional layout. I enjoy an open floor plan. We are most relaxed and informal while on vacation (actually we are like this even when not on vacation) and I try to get a sense of just how the floor plan will work.
The wife and I hardly ever use a bathtub, so the waste of space that the big jacuzzi tub takes up in most of today's timeshares always gets a sarcastic remark from me, especially when the tub isn't big enough for a true overweight American man to wedge into.
We conclude our tour with a look at a 2BR Unit that is not a lock-off and I was most impressed. This unit was designed with me in mind. There are 2 entrances to the private deck, great! A walk in closet in the Master BR, great!
2 Double beds in the 2nd BR, great! I note that these beds are not the tiny single beds that I had seen in some other Resort's units. These were true adult size beds.
Kitchen, both baths, and the floor plan....all were great! IMO Functional and practical. No granite counter tops...so what! I am on vacation! The big patio/balcony is not screened in....not so great, especially in Florida, and most especially since there is a freakin state wild life park right next door, chock full of blood suckin nasties.
But they were not selling this unit, they were selling the 2BR Lockoff. Hmmmm! I am not that happy with the layout of the lock off. It is kind of like a maze, with many spaces and walls. I would not enjoy this layout. I note that the studio side has the king size bed, yet the other side has 2 dbl beds. I also note that the studio side has no balcony. Bit it seems roomy enough for 2, at least to me.
Anyway, we are now near lunch time, well into our 2nd hour, and I am missing beach time.
I know that we will give away $6,000.00 unless we decide now. The first day incentive thing is always there, tempting me ....tempting me.
I think we need to take a lunch break and think about it. I am told that lunch will be provided and it is. A fresh, deli sandwich. We ask for chips, we get chips. We ask for pickles, we get pickles.
We ask for coke, we get coke. We enjoy our lunch and we are left alone to ponder our decision.
We cannot be persuaded. But the salesmen try hard. They do the usual and customary routine on us, trying to turn the wife against my stubborness, but I hold out. Now it is almost 3PM. Our beach day is shot. I'm thinking that maybe these guys will comp me with a dinner at the restaurant on the property for keeping me from the surf, but no, they have become angered at my resistance to this obvious great deal and once in a lifetime chance at owning on the beach on the Atlantic Ocean in Florida near Orlando.
We check in and our room is a studio unit. This was understood when we took the bait....er...the offer at Ron Jon's Surf Shop. It is adequate for 2 adults but it is small, somehow looking smaller than when I toured the same layout hours ago.
Check in goes smoothly. We are hungry and we decide to follow up on a tip to try a restaurant on the dock at Caneveral Cove called Grills and it was perfect. The bartender was up to the task and provided perfect cocktails to us as we looked over a menu with a wide selection of eats. I enjoyed some kind of Bahamian Stew and a wonderful grilled tilefish. We liked this place so much that we returned the next day and had dinner again.
We spent the rest of the evening enjoying the live band entertaining the big crowd outside at the bar on the dock. They played traditional rock from the 60's and 70's. I was in heaven. Most bar bands I encounter these days get down right aghast at my suggestions that they try a little Crosby, Stills and Nash.
I wish I had remembered to spray on some mosquito repellant as the night wore on and I got better tasting to the critters.

We slept soundly and comfortably in a king size bed. So big I hardly was bothered by my wife's snoring but I eventually was, so I got up and decided to try and use the resort's internet connectivity and wasn't successful. My laptop could not access the RJCC Network from our room. I was unable to update my fantasy football team's lineup and my team had to play with 3 starters out on bye weeks.
Our studio unit had a great shower in the tub and the water pressure was good on a scale of poor to great! Poor being a trickle The exhaust fan worked efficiently allowing me to shave after my shower! I take note of these little things!
The kitchenette was equipped with a full size frig that had a wonderful ice maker in the freezer. I thought the room was clean and I am happy that it was on the 4th floor. We had no balcony and this was a bummer but we were in this room only a very short time and it was a gift, so I enjoy the enjoyable and don't look the gift horse in the mouth. The TV in the LR was a nice size ( there was a tiny TV in the bedroom of the 1BR side of the lockoff as I recall).
There was no desk in the studio which might have been a nuisance had we stayed longer cause I tend to write a lot of stuff down, can U tell?
We used the kitchenette for morning coffee and for icing down our drinks only. We brought nothing to eat with us other than snacks and booze, so it worked well for the 2 of us. Take note, though, that no breakfast is offered on the resort. The Grill doesn't open until 11AM and then it is burgers and wings.
We chanced upon a local breakfast eatery called the Port Cafe which is walkable from the Resort and we enjoyed fairly priced breakfasts there. Get the waffles with blueberry sauce. Yum.

We get called by the front desk promptly at 10AM to remind us to get out. They tell you that they will do this in the check-in material, so I feel not the least bit compromised by their diligence.
Check out goes smoothly. I get my $20.00 deposit back and a cashier's check for the $100.00, all as promised.
We are given pool "keys" so we can use the facilities after check-out which is a fair and sensible procedure, IMO.
We first travel down to the beach using the resort's trolley and find the beach perfect with a constant off shore breeze. Jelly fish warnings are heeded and I refrain from demonstrating my considerable surfing skills. The popular Jetty Park is right next to the RJCC Beach. It includes a modest boardwalk and 1,200 foot fishing pier and campgrounds. The admission is $5.00 a car somebody tells me. I make a note to get my fishing pole ready for our next vacation at Cocoa Beach.

I enjoyed our 1 night stand at the RJCC Resort. I hope to re-visit the Resort again for 2 or 3 nights either before or after I vacation in Orlando. If I do, though, I will try to reserve the 2 BR Unit that is not a lock out or the 1BR side of the lockout, avoiding the Studio. The trolley transport to the beach ran often while we were there but I would have concern for this if it had been in the summer season. You can almost tell that this place gets overrun with children once school lets out.

Speaking of children, this place ran a haunted house thing while we there that looked spectacular and had all kinds of kid stuff going on, even when we we there in late October. Obviously there big thing is the water park . All the bells and whistles of a water park are there. Slides, showers, lazy river, volleyball net, etc. Your kids will love you. For me, I enjoyed the many loungers and the pool bar with many TVs, and the live 2 person band who played for a few hours on a lazy Sunday.

Take note, though, that the RJCC has a separate building that is beach front, although not all the units face the beach. These are called beach view. This building is not being toured so I didn't get a look at anything in it but it is certainly very remote from the water park scene and would provide a measure of peace and quiet should you want that or, like us, vacation without the kids now and then and want some solitude and relaxing beach time. My guess is that all units in this building are booked well in advance or are sold as fixed weeks so average Joes like us would have very little or no chance of booking any of them.

I hope that this long narrative is helpful to all Trip Advisor Web Site regulars who might be considering a vacation to the Florida Space Coast Region. It is a big "thank you" back at ya to the many of you who post your great travel experiences and suggestions here for all to benefit from as I certainly have. Especially to our "experts"! Please feel free to PM me for additional info. Have a great Winter everybody!

• Liked — seashore access
  • Disliked — too kid friendly
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mauiman98
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 20 October 2007

We were at the nearby Ron Job Surf Shop and got "snagged" by a sales rep on our way out. He enticed us with the "Hear the pressure-free sales pitch and get a free night at our resort." We were reluctant but decided to do it.

Ambiance, atmosphere, rooms, hallways, etc... A++. Everything was super clean, staff was excellent, pool was top-notch! Our room was well equipped with everything we needed and more. The food at the in-house restaurant was really good (grouper entree A+). They don't serve breakfast! Kind of a bummer. We walked about 10 minutes towards the A1A and found a small local diner which served an excellent plate of biscuits & gravy.

The "Tour" which is a euphemism for high-pressure sales pitch, was nice until the two snake-oil salesman tried so hard to put the squeeze on us. After 15 agonizing minutes I finally say, "Look, I'm a sales person too. I know you have one chance to close me and once I leave here the opportunity expires...I get that. But hear me clearly, there is no sale taking place today no matter how tempting the offer so quit wasting everyone's time..." And they just kept going on and on...

Aside from the the pitch, this place was excellent and I will absolutely go back.

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank toddhrog
SandyAndrews, Manager of Operations at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, 29 October 2007
Dear Toddhrog,

We are pleased with your comments. An A++ experience is exactly what we strive to provide each guest. To score us 5 out of 5 in every category including room, service, pool, cleanliness and especially value…is simply outstanding and greatly appreciated. Our sales representatives are licensed professionals with the state of Florida. Our sales staff is trained to respond to each of our guests in an appropriate manner and in this case it appears as though the sales person was overly enthusiastic and did not appropriately respond to your request. We shall use your comments during our next training exercise to appropriately respond to similar situations in the future.

Thank you for your comments.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 October 2007

Hated the room. Studio room I believe with king bed, sofa bed, microwave, sink, small fridge, large bathroom. Some dishes but no table to eat at. Very dark, only outside window was block-glass out to the hallway. Very crampted, I kept wanting to fold up the bed by the door. My 2 kids could not sleep on the sofa bed as it dipped in the middle. One slept on the sofa cushions on the already crampted floor.

The pool area was nice, but kids more interested in the beach. Nice shuttle to/from beach, thank you. Pool towels were hidden in the closet; none available at pool. Desk clerk forgot to give us pool bands.

Not worth the money unless you've never been to a water park and like a dark & dingy room; suggest a stay at the Carlson Country Inn up the road instead.

• Liked — Water park pool area
  • Disliked — Dark, dingy, crampted, outdated room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank marcene
SandyAndrews, Manager of Operations at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, 16 October 2007
Dear Macene,

Thank you for your feedback. The studio rooms are being re-designed to allow for more comfort. We feel this work will be complete by the end of March 2008. All sleeper sofa's are to be replaced during the first week of December. I'm glad your family enjoyed both the waterpark and the beach. It is nice to have both at one resort. We hope that you will return for another visit.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 October 2007

The Ron Jon is only for those who don't have high end taste in properties. It is an older resort that has been brought up to date and a new label put on, and you can see it with the quality of the concrete and things such as the tennis courts. The game room smelled like a bowling alley, and it just doesn't compare with your higher end properties...seems dated already. My kids even felt it and they thought it was overall cheesy.

The area around it is very industrial, port, and you really can't walk to anything. Scappy trailer parks, etc. Beware of Cocoa Beach for the kids cuz strip joints still jot the "strip" and not that much to do.

The Ron Jon connection is confusing cuz you can't even use your hotel card to charge in the gift shop. And here's one sign of the staff quality. We were on the elevator with one of the staff members...At Disney, they would let the guests out first...but no, he didn't acknolwedge this protocol. Just edgy staff for sure, not top notch. Beach is nice...we got to see a manatee, but you can find other beaches in Florida that are much nicer. I'd say, stay at Disney, then make a day trip to the public beach right next to the Ron Jon. The main resort isn't even close to the beach, so you won't be missing much. And the building that is on the beach doesn't have the amenities like a good pool, so lots of trade offs.

Skate boarders on the tennis courts, and they are annoyed that you are playing tennis.

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank CheeseheadwithTaste
Dear Cheeseheadwithtaste,

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We are securing bids to address the chipped paint on the tennis court.

new york
Reviewed 26 September 2007

Let me start by saying that the resort it's self is wonderful. Everything is well maintained and you can definitely have a great vacation. While our stay at Ron Jon' s we too also decided to purchase a lockout unit. We were told about the expansion that is currently being proposed and knew that once this was completed, you would truly have a more than accommodating vacation.

Pros:
Pool area is fabulous, beach is beautiful.
Food at the restaurant and tiki bar is great.
Rooms are spacious and well stocked.
Resort is clean and grounds are kept beautifully.

Cons:
Beach although beautiful, is a bit far away from the pool side
Location, it seems that there is not much to do in the immediate area, therefore a car is a must.
Activities, although plenty for the younger one's there needs to be more for the Teenagers 14 -17, suggestions would be to possibly incorporate a teen club, where they can hang out, listen to music and dance ( teen disco ) and interesting activities would be great. In the evening the teens are looking for something's to do, besides hanging around the pool. This would also be beneficial to the parents as they would not have to worry about keeping them entertained in the evening if you just want to relax.

Again, with that said we still had a wonderful time and as I mentioned we are proud owners, and are looking forward to many more Vacation at Ron Jon's.

• Liked — The size of the units
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SandyAndrews, Manager of Operations at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 October 2007
Dear Vogesg,

Thank you for your very nice comments. We agree this is a beautiful resort and we are currently nominated for a Brevard County landscape award (our fingers are crossed)! Our landscapers, all resort staff members, will be happy to hear your comments. We will continue to review the teen activities. That has been a continueing challenge for us. Congratulations on becoming an owner. We are very happy and proud that you thought enough about this resort and your future vacations to become an owner here. If you have any questions as to your ownership, just call us. Until your next visit......as an Owner!

Sandy Andrews
Toronto
Reviewed 16 September 2007

Overall, I had a good vacation at the Resort, and would recommend it and will definitely go back. There certainly were some annoyances, however. Here are my positives and negatives with the resort:

Positives:
- Top notch amenities (Lazy River, Waterslide, large pool, mini-golf, kid's playground, games room, etc.)
- Fairly clean
- Good entertainment from house band Lonnie and Delinda
- Mostly pleasant staff, especially from Guest Services
- Nice beach with some wildlife (look closely and you can see manatees, and plenty of birds)
- Good area, with lots of shopping and sights within a half hour

Negatives:
- Most annoying was the frequent pool closings due to "lightning in the area", even though there wouldn't be a dark cloud overhead. I understand the need for safety, but I think it was taken way too far.
- Some activities not up to par, eg. $3 Sundaes without any chocolate sauce and very few toppings. I have definitely seen better activities at other resorts.
- EXPENSIVE to buy anything on the resort -- $9-$10 drinks from the bar. Convenience items from store (eg. Tylenol) about 3-5 times what you'd pay at a drug store.
- Awoken by cleaning staff and other resort staff almost every morning seemingly using the vacant room next to mine as a hangout.
- Thin walls -- could hear adjoining room perfectly
- Minor maintenance issues that didn't seem to be cared for, eg. some fountains in lazy river not spraying. No clocks by the pool showed even remotely the right time.

Overall, I had a good time. The amenities alone are enough to bring me back. There did seem to be more annoyances than I have experienced at other resorts, however.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Pool closings
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank Y-Roc78
SandyAndrews, Manager of Operations at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, 25 September 2007
Dear Y-Roc 78,

Thank you for your comments. We will work on our short comings. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your vacation enough that you would return. We look forward to your next visit. And remember, if you're joining us by renting a villa, just mention that you are a repeat guest and the reservationists will arrange your repeat guest discount.

Thanks again.
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach
Best Western Ocean Beach Hotel & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort? Share your experiences!