“Great place for a big group to meet”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Cape Canaveral
florida
“Great place for a big group to meet”
Reviewed 16 January 2008

This resort has everything. A beautiful oceanside view or a poolside view.
The pool area has a lazy river, huge pool, and a big slide too.
Lots of fun.

The resort has a large arcade with games, pool tables, air hockey, everything.

They even have a free movie theater.

We didnt try the resturant but maybe next time.

If you have a chance to stay here do it. the whole place is a very happy cheery feeling atmosphere. The rooms are perfect. this was one of the cleanest places we have ever stayed at, including the bueatiful rooms.

We cant wait to visit again

• Liked — Beauitful cheerful colors
  • Disliked — More parking
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank scottnj1966

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2008

This was a working vacation for us to use up our RCI points before they expire. Ron Jon’s Cape Caribe is just down the road and I work at the Port so we know a lot about the area. We can definitely vouch for its great location. It’s within an easy hour drive of the major theme parks and the airport (only three stop lights). The ocean and the port offer a lot of things to do like unique dinning/bars, fishing, gambling boats (free), and cruise ships. The views of the cruise ships and space launches are spectacular from Ron Jon’s and Jetty Park. (Note: You can’t get any closer to an unmanned launch than the Port) There are also two saltwater rivers/lagoons (kayak) and a freshwater river/swamp (airboat rides). The beach has a gradual slope which makes it safer for kids and great for walking at low tide (note: rip currents)

Ron Jon’s is fairly new and has some character you do not get with other local places. It’s not finished and they are in the sales mode with only two main buildings so far. One is located near the beach and the other is a good walk/cart ride back with the main lobby and all the amenities. The amenities are very good and everyone could enjoy their whole stay at the resort but I would suggest getting a car. The water park was good but not as big and great as I had imagined. It was supposed to be heated but we seen little kids shivering when the high was 80 outside (note: rules and height restriction). I’ll bet it gets crowded in the summer. The movie theatre was a nice touch but the speakers were not working properly. The indoor playground was a big hit for those under 12 (and some who were not). We never seen anyone in the arcade and there did seem to be a need for something teens could do to “burn off energy” especially on bad weather days. The restaurant (not open for breakfast) was said to be good. The grouper wrap and turkey/bacon/avocado sandwich we had were. We also had a couple of drinks and the prices were reasonable. We liked the soft Caribbean music to set the mood but the music was everywhere all day and the band a bit loud so it was impossible to get away from it if you didn’t like it and some of the speakers “crackled”. The industrial part of the port was nearby and you did get some noise/views of that but nothing major. They had other good activities like arts-n-crafts and a wildlife show etc. but we were working and unable to attend.

We liked the layout of the two bedroom with a nice porch. You can check the layouts on their website. The Jacuzzi tub was probably the most comfortable we’ve used. The kitchen seemed a little under stocked and things did seem on the cheap side like they planned to remodel often. In fact they already are remodeling.

I was surprised and pleased to see Ron Jon management reading and responding to reviews so I added some concerns just for them ;). I thought they stated their rules and goals very well at the resort along with offering information about the area. It’s impossible to please everyone but with good communication I feel they are doing their best. Insurance usually dictates the rules but we thought young children should be allowed in “The Lazy River” with their parents. We would suggest offering something for breakfast with the coffee since the restaurant is not open. There are good bike paths to the port and local places so we would suggest bikes for guests. We would also suggest turning the music down (we have heard it three neighborhoods away) and maybe just concentrate it around the main pool, bar, and restaurant area. It may just be me but I can’t stand bad speakers.

We would recommend Cape Caribe, will probably stay here again, and are thinking about buying for some bonus features you get with ownership. We enjoyed our stay and hope you do too. We would suggest doing some research with the “visitor’s guide” from FlaToday Newspaper. Since we have a lot of local knowledge we are allowing contacts where we will try to answer your questions and give you a “form letter” on the area, but be warned we don’t check this mail box often ;)

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — quality
4 Thank DSTOURS
Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We took the tour and were given the room as a gift.
It was a nice stay, comofortable and cozy with a few exceptions.

PROS
- Awesome play area for the kids. Inside area was fabulous and is open late enough for the kids to play at night INSIDE without the bugs.
-Washer and dryer :)
-Beds were comfortable and everything was fairly clean EXCEPT FOR...

CONS
-The pillows on the couch smelled like URINE!!! Absolutely disgusting and grotesque. Who would want to sit on a couch that smelled of urine?
-The red tide in the ocean didnt help one bit! Dead fish rotting is an awful smell, should bring in candles or air fresheners into the buildings. Out of their control, but still very distracting.
-NO coffee was found, but there was a coffee maker. I didnt get it! Make sure to bring your own, or buy their VERY overpriced coffee.

WE WERE CHARGED $10 a week later WITHOUT any notification. Will be making a phone call today to figure it out!
Did I really just pay $10 so I could sit on a couch that smelled like urine?

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Couch/Pillows smelled like URINE!
5 Thank kdsmcec
florida
Reviewed 4 January 2008

i see when writing this review that profanity is not allowed, the management needs to use that policy for their phone sales. was called directly from someone who said they were selling for ron jon, and when i asked to be removed from their call list they calmly told me to get [--]. i know these creations cant get any other kind of job so this probally explains why the profanity. i would rather spend a night in county jail than go to this flea bag hotel and resort. STAY AWAY!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
7 Thank 1puttFlorida
whatanutt
Reviewed 2 January 2008

I am actually an owner of a timeshare at this resort and (unfortunately) I have been here twice in the past two years. Regretfully, the places gets worse every years. My first suggestion, if you want the best/any service only get a room connected to the main lounge. While you may wish to be closer to the beach if you are beach-side there are many downfalls. I've spent a year at each and can give input on both. The service overall is lacking. The maids barely clean but if you are staying beach-side they usually don't clean at all of fake it by just halfway cleaning. If you are beach-side don't expect linen exchange to EVER be open and don't expect the maids to change them either. The beach-side rooms are a LOT more run down. The rooms are poorly AC-ed so there is a constant sticky feeling. Most of the beach-side rooms come without a view unless you are on the top floor and one particular side. The main lounge is not much better. DO NOT eat here, it's too expensive and there are much better and less expensive places near by. The location is the ONLY thing RJ Cape Caribe has going for it.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank whatanutt
rainbow89, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, 22 January 2008
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us. We have reviewed our housekeeping standards to ensure that they are being implemented throughout the property. We close the linen exchange when demand is low; however, when this occurs we are happy to provide an exchange right at your door. We will communicate this information to our oceanfront guests.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Launa Young
Resort Manager
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 December 2007

This stay was so awful I don't know where to start. We checked in on 12/26 - or should I say, tried to check in. I went up to the desk labelled "Registration" and rather than being welcomed or greeted in ANY way, the clerk immediately started questioning me as to whether I was scheduled for something. She kept asking me questions, and I finally told her I had just walked in the door 30 seconds ago and I had no idea what she was talking about. She sighed and pointed across the lobby and told me I would have to go to the tour desk first and then come back with my "paperwork". OK. Walked over to the tour desk and again instead of being greeted in any way, I was again inundated with questions. Again, I told her I had just walked in and was told to come to this desk. She literally shoved the paperwork at me and told me to start filling it out. After jumping through all their hoops I was then told to go back to the registration desk! I think you are getting the idea. Not a good first impression.

We were finally given the room keys and found ourselves in a stark white hallway where they exchange towels and collect garbage. Not where I would put a guest. The room itself: There was one king bed, one very uncomfortable sofa sleeper, one chair, a small kitchen area in the hallway, some closets, and the bathroom. The bed was so high I had to climb into it. The sofa sleeper was awful. Adjacent to the bed was a "window" - and I use that term loosely - that was just large glass blocks. The hallway is illuminated all night, and the curtains don't move! So all we had to block out the light was blinds which didn't help much. Again, not a good impression. If I wanted to impress a guest that I would be trying to sell something to, I would put them in a nice room. Even my teenage son said this place felt like prison.

We went to the guest services desk at the top of the escalator, to inquire about surfing lessons for the next day, and a young girl was sitting at the desk chatting on a personal phone call. She didn't even acknowledge our presence. Went back 30 minutes later, she was still on the phone and again didn't even look up.
We went out to the pool area. The large pool was fine. We went over to the Lazy River and was told it closed at 5 pm! Huh? Why? There is also a hot tub.

We went to their grill restaurant for supper. My son had crab cakes, which he said were OK (about $10 for two cakes). I had a blackened chicken wrap, and my son had a hamburger. The food was acceptable - nothing more. Our server was also the bartender, so despite the restaurant not being busy, we didn't get much of her attention.

The next day we went to the tour desk at 8:50 am for the "presentation". About 9:05 a middle aged man named "Cliff" came out. OMG - can you say "used car salesman"? He had a fake smile plastered on his face and could not have been any more phoney. We were ushered up the escalator to the presentation room - or as my son later called it, the torture room. We were told to help ourselves to continental breakfast items, which we didn't. Cliff then took us to a table, and asked me how our stay has been. I asked him if he really wanted to know, he said yes, and I told him it was terrible thus far. I told him the check in desk staff was rude and unhelpful. His response was to start arguing with me! He couldn't believe anyone had been rude to us! He started questioning me as to every detail - who had I talked to, what did they say. I told him I was not here to rehash the day before and there was no point in it. He gave me a go to hell look, and this is exactly what he said to me: "YOU have to sit here for 90 minutes, but I don't have to sit here with you." And with that he got up, and started shoving donuts in his face. My son set the timer on his cell phone for 90 minutes, and we literally sat there at this table. At about 80 minutes, another man came out, opened the presentation booklet and asked me how our tour had been. I told him we didn't get a tour. We were left to sit at this table. He asked how our visit had been. I told him it was a nightmare and that I would NEVER come back to this place ever again. So what does he do? He says he can offer me a free week to come back whenever we want, with no sales presentation! I told him he had to be out of his mind if he thought I would ever set foot in this place again. With that we were walked to yet another location to complete the paperwork.

My son wanted to take a surfing lesson, so we stopped at the area adjacent to this paperwork desk, and the FIRST pleasant person we encountered. She called the surfing school and was able to arrange a lesson for 11:00 (it was 10:30 at this time), so we had just enough time to get back to the room and then get the cart that hauls people to the beach. My son loved the surf lesson and we spent a little time on the beach. There was a lot of dead fish on this part of the beach due to a red tide - in walking up the beach it was obvious the other resorts had removed the dead fish but not Ron Jon. It was pretty disgusting.

We took the cart back to the pool, and spent the rest of the afternoon there. Here is where we encountered the Pool Nazi - a middle aged woman wearing a t-shirt that said "Pool Staff". She first yelled at my son in the Lazy River to tell him "one tube per person". There were maybe 10 people in the river, and tons of tubes stacked up. He was laying on one and had his feet up on the second one. A bit later we were sitting in the hot tub and she came over to yell at someone who had dared to set a bottle of water on the edge of the tub. Another guest asked her to turn the music down - it was so loud you couldn't hear the person sitting right next to you. She never did. However, she didn't miss a chance to harass another guest when she dared to sit on the edge of the hot tub with a 2 yr old in her lap - the Nazi came over and yelled at her that the child was not old enough to be in the tub. She wasn't in the tub! The mother was sitting on the edge with her feet in the water and was holding the child! For heaven's sake - LEAVE PEOPLE ALONE!

We then went to the outdoor bar area to get something to eat. The same woman who was the bartender the night before was now working out there. My son ordered a pizza and she was so rude to him. I was standing behind him and went up to the counter to pay. I told her we wanted to add another pizza on to the order, and she sighed and rolled her eyes! I asked her if she was having a bad day, and she snapped "yes". No kidding. Neither of the pizza orders were correct as to the toppings we had ordered, and they were both totally burned on the bottom.

Checking out the next morning, the woman at the front desk asked me how our stay had been. I told her it was stressful and very unpleasant. She asked me for my paperwork (which is their number one priority) and told me to "have a nice day".

Do not waste your vacation time at this prison. There are many nice facilities in this area, which will welcome you and treat you like a guest, not an inmate. You could not pay me to go back to this place.

• Liked — My son enjoyed the surf lesson.
  • Disliked — Everything else. Most particularly, CLIFF and the lobby staff.
11 Thank mitcham
We appreciate feedback which indicates ways we can improve our operations. I apologize that your stay was disappointing.

The water park rules are established for the safety and enjoyment of all of our guests. New procedures have been established to monitor excessively loud music. We are truly sorry you did not enjoy your stay. Thank you for your candid comments.

Launa Young
Resort Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 December 2007

This was the most relaxing vacation my family and I have ever taken. We did go through the painful sales pitch but we bought. My husband was skeptical but when you travel with the three kids and their friends or grandma - the space of the 2 bedroom units with a DVD player, 3 TV's, two bathrooms, laundry in the room, etc. - was very inviting. Also we thought about the money we would save on being able to eat breakfast, lunch and late night snacks without ALL of us going out or always ordering another Dominos pizza at midnight. So our first stay was last spring break. We had a two-bedroom ocean view room and it was amazing. Sunrise every morning, kids were sleeping in their bedrooms - Grandma and I didn't have to disturb anyone as we just sat their in silence watching the sun and the few people walking the beach to see the beauty. The ocean building is very relaxing. We didn't even have to sit on the balcony - we just turned our comfy chairs in the living room to face the balcony and hung out in comfort! The room was amazing!! It had all the bels an whistles and was more than enough room for the 6 of us. It had every pan, dish, and towel we needed.

If we wanted to get an idea of off property acitvies the Ron Jon customer service people were there to get tickets for us or guide us in any way. They were very accommodating!! We thought that when we went there that the sales people were going to bother us to purchase another week but we never got bothered or harrassed. Actually all staff from front desk - bartenders - waitresses - pool personell and so on . . .were all wonderful. We were even given a shell nightlight as a welcome gift that Grandma loved.

The pool building is fun for the younger kids, There are activities planned for them but teenagers really have to be outgoing to meet each other because there are not really any activites geared for them - that is the only negative that I found. There needs to be a teen center. It would be nice if they planned a "meet and greet" - Take All teenagers at a certain time and go to the Ron Jon shop and give them all a free $5.00 gift card. They can meet each other on the bus and you know that they wlll all buy more than 5.00 worth so it is a win win for Ron Jon and for the teens to meet each other besides in the jacuzzi at night.

Anyway - the whole place was clean - we loved that there is not maid service everyday bothering you. It was nice having a place on the ocean and having all the conveniences of home. I also liked that it was not on the strip. I felt very safe to have my kids roaming around by themselves (My youngest is 13) there are no vagrants or sellers on the beach - or weird people hanging around the property - it was very private and cozy.

The only other thing that I would suggest is to supply your kids with flashlights if they go to the beach around dusk. Also Ron John should put a light or Lighted letter or name on the back of the property so that people know which one to go to once it gets dark. When that sun goes down on the beach it gets VERY DARK very quickly - At night every building starts looking the same. Colored lights at the end of the beach walkway would work too. I saw a couple of scared kids on the beach after dark and had to have my husband flicker our lights in the condo to show them that they weren't that far away. Let's think of the kids!
That is just a suggestion.

So . . . We have used our week this year - We went back in August and booked a few days (you can call a couple weeks in advance and if there are rooms available you get them for a very low rate starting around 40 or 50ish) we were able ot book a studio. It is not as plush as the larger units but we were fine with it - it was just the two of us. Now it is almost New Years and I called again and they had a two-bedroom available for a few days so we booked a flight and we are getting the room for $80. a night. Where are you ever going to find a deal like that? For us . . . it has so far been a great investment. We will use it - our kids love it and they will have it for their kids. Ron Jon is a great place to relax and is very convenient to Disney, and other resorts too. It was easlily under an hour to get to that rat race and very happy to come home to my quiet balcony overlooking the ocean and watching the birds go by. The cruise ships are fun to watch too!! Stay at Ron Jon - you will NOT be dissappointed!!

• Liked — Room size, pool, beach, & beach
  • Disliked — Need more teenage meeting opportunities
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach
Best Western Ocean Beach Hotel & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort? Share your experiences!