“****STAY AWAY FROM UNIT 104****”
Review of Cape Winds Resort

Cape Winds Resort
Atlanta, Georgia
“****STAY AWAY FROM UNIT 104****”
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Unit 104 has not been updated since it was built in the 1970's (early 70's)....I don't even think the carpet has ever been replaced. No view from there either. Pool and pool area very small with no view. Very close walk to beach.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
CWBoardRep, Owner at Cape Winds Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
I am sorry I do not know who owns/manages #104. I will try to find out.

Cape Winds’ condos are privately owned. Some owners have remodeled and some have not. When calling to make a reservation, ask when it was remodeled and what was remodeled.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We loved our time at Cape Winds. We had a second floor unit, with two beds and two baths, which was important for my teen! (and me).King size bed in my room was very comfortable, and I loved the huge walk in shower. We felt very safe here as well. Nice quiet location, beach seconds away and not at all crowed.I enjoyed getting up and walking on the beach every morning, watching the pelicans, and the daily flybys of Blackhawk helicopters (very close to Patrick Air Force base) Also, how great is it to wake up and see the ocean out your front balcony. My son thought it was great as well..We had everything we needed, including wifi for internet, which is important to us to keep in touch with home.We were right on the boundry between Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach, but as all the beaches tend to flow in to each other, its hard to tell. From this location, we had tons of places to shop,and eat. Also, grocery stores are close (Publix is the closest) plus we went to Orlando. Check out the airboat rides at Midway! Lots of fun and real live wild gators! This is an excellent choice if you wish to be at the beach but would like to visit Orlando, as it is only an hour or less away. Also, the pool and hot tub were never busy, and kept very clean. We spoke to some local people and found restaurants that served delicious seafood at great prices. It was a much needed respite from a long cold winter and cant wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank butterflycats
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We chose a ground floor unit in Cape Winds Oceanfront Condos in Cocoa Beach, FL because the rent was less than the higher condos with views. In the future when renting condos, I think I will request one with a view as I missed seeing the ocean. Also next time I will rent nearer to the Cocoa Beach Pier.

The pool was great (clean and heated). Most of the condo was comfortable although older. BUT the carpet throughout the condo was absolutely filthy and needs too be cleaned. It does not look bad because it was vacuumed but our crawling granddaughter turned black as did our feet and socks.

We rented from DUR-RICH Reality from a manager named "Judy". She was unable to be reached when we arrived and it was several hours before we could gain entrance to the condo. This was very irritating since friends had driven us there and were forced to wait too. Note that Cape Winds through DUR-RICH Realty was managed poorly and I am not aware how Cape Winds Resort is handled but at least they have an office in the building. We had to drive a ways to find the DUR-RICH office to leave a note seeking help getting us in the condo on arrival. The owner of DUR-RICH did call us later to give us the codes for entry. We heard stories from other occupants that had to stay at a motel for a few nights before locating their manager!

Quite disappointed in our arrival and the filthy carpets and would never rent here again.
Judy from Mi

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank bealjudy
#104 is managed by http://www.durrich.com/
Falcon, Colorado
Reviewed 1 November 2009

For the most part we loved this place. It is older, much older, but our room, #406, was large and pretty clean, all except the carpet which is in bad need of a good cleaning or replacement. Our ocean facing room had wall to wall, floor to ceiling windows w/ sliding glass doors that gifted us with the most amazing views. We kept the sliding glass doors open and let the sound of the ocean lull us to sleep. Screen doors are in need of replacing.

We only stayed 2 nights, but on the last night, the night before we have to fly cross country home, the fire alarm went off at 3:30 a.m. and again at 4:30 a.m. There is no 24 hour front desk, so after the 2nd time I had to go down to the office and knock on the door. Got no answer, but found a 24 hour number taped to the door (this number is not provided in the room but should be). Since I did not bring a phone or pencil and paper down with me, I had to go back upstairs, get my phone, go back downstairs and call them from outside the office door. When they answered, they where quizzing me about, which alarm it was, inside or outside, etc. a couple of times I had to explain, I was woken from a dead sleep I have no clue, but it was loud and came from outside our room. That night and the next morning there were no apologies. The next day we were treated like we were crazy, told it was impossible and everyone acted like it was the first they ever heard of such a problem ~ now I see the Sept 09 review. All this soured us to what could have been a near perfect stay. We asked for just a little later check out, 11:30-12noon, instead of the 11:00 a.m. but we were told no. Seems to me that was a minor, easy request considering the night before. Even if the room was booked, how much was 1 hour going to hurt?

Now with that out of the way, I will continue with our review:

Service - There really is none. I guess they have housekeeping, but we did not use it our 2 nights there. The front office keeps limited hours. Some may not like the lack of attention. It worked well for us and may for others as you are pretty much just left alone.

Beds - The King Size bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The 2 twin beds where too hard, small and low to the ground for our pre-teen/teen boys. The sofa bed was fine for our boys.

Furniture - simple, not new, but fine.

Kitchen - Be warned, there is NO COFFEE, not even to get you by for one day. The plain kitchen was medium in size and clean. It seemed to be well stocked. We wanted for nothing except a cup of coffee.

Bathrooms - Very small, no counter space, but really no big deal. Plenty of towels for both the pool and room were stocked in the room. Soap dispenser in the shower was very handy.

Pool pool/area - very clean and warm. Nice hot tub, dry sauna, 2 outdoor showers and each pool side bathroom had a shower.

Beach beach/access - very short walk across a bridge over protected dunes. Beach had a lot of shells, nice sand castle sand, with only a little old, dry sea weed. The beach was not crowded. It was a fun mix of swimmer, surfers and fishers. One fisherman, a retired school teacher name Paul Mitchell, even let my son and husband real in a couple of fish. He did not mind our 100's of questions and we enjoyed him very much.

Food - There is a Pizza Hut flier in the room which we used one night. The next day we walked south, down the beach, to the pier and ate at Marlins on the Pier. It's old and run down, but had the yummy burgers, fries and good service. Prices not bad either.

Priceless extra's: We saw all kinds of birds, little crabs and even a dolphin on our first day. You can see fishing boats out on the waters, but best of all is the huge cruise ships coming in and out of port. We even got to see one going out at night. What a treat.

Location to MCO - It was only about 50 min straight drive and 1 toll booth back to the Orlando Airport.

Summary, fix the carpet and screen doors and DWIT to make sure the fire alarms never go off in the middle of the night again. Unless., of course, it is a true emergency. We like to change up where we stay, so we will try other places before we return, but for now I can say we would stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LadyFan55
Oh no, I am sorry your stay was disrupted by the fire alarms. Thank you for taking the time to call the management company and letting them know about the problems. Also thank you for your complete review. Cocoa Beach is a lovely area and Cape Winds is a great resort, we hope you come back.

This condo is managed by http://www.capewindscondo.com/
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My family lived in Cocoa Beach in the late 1960s and my dad worked at the Cape on the Apollo program and later on the shuttle. He's 91 now, and I'm 58. We found and rented Condo 304 at Cape Winds on the internet. We arrived 1 1/2 hours early but could not get in because it was still being cleaned. That was OK, just saying don't expect to check in earlier than the 3 p.m. check- in time. #304 is ocean front on the third floor. the building has five stories.
Here's the deal on room numbers. The first number is the floor, and the last number is the room number. If you want to sit on the balcony and look at the ocean, don't get anything below the third floor. There are a lot of bushes and trees between the building and the ocean, and the first floor would have no view of the ocean- just bushes. There's a grass lawn, and there was a family with toddlers staying on the first floor, so for them, it may have been great since the kids could run out in the grass and play right in front of their unit.
I think there would be some ocean view from the second floor, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to get a complete view. We had a great view up and down the beach from the third floor balcony, including a view of the Kennedy Space Center, in case there are any launches scheduled while you are there. We saw a Delta rocket launch and saw the whole thing from our balcony,
Also we could see the cruise ships and tankers coming and going from Port Canaveral. Bring your binoculars because you'll want to check out those ships. There's one that leaves Sunday evening that is supposed to be one of the largest cruise ships in the world.
I wrote down the condo numbers so I could put it in this review, but I can't find it now, but here's what I think I remember. Condos numbered 1 through 8 are ocean front
No. 1 has both bedrooms in the back, meaning facing the parking lot, and the ocean view balcony is only off the living room. Numbers 2 & 3 have master bedrooms on the ocean side and have double wide balconies, one from the living room and one from the bedroom. Numbers 4 and 5 have the bedrooms in the back and just the single balcony off the living room. Numbers 6 & 7 have the double balconies, and Number 8 is a single balcony. Don't hold me to that, but I think that's correct.
I didn't check the other numbers but I'm assuming anything above 8 is has a side view of the ocean and looks out over the pool and jacuzzi. I don't think you'd want to get a first floor on that side because I don't think they have a view at all. Go to Bing.com and type in " cape winds, cape canaveral fl," then click maps. zoom in on the map and click birdseye, and you'll be able to see all angles of the building by clicking on those curved arrows on the side.
The pool and jacuzzi were very clean and nice. both had good temperatures. hot jacuzzi and warm, but not too warm, pool.
We liked sitting on that balcony and looking at the ocean. They have a high table and high chairs on the balcony, which were comfortable.
What I didn't like about #304 was that the owners didn't tell us we would be renting the condo during fire alarm test week. In fact they offered a reduced rate for that week, almost to lure someone into renting the condo. This wasn't just a test with a couple of guys coming in and testing the alarms in that condo, which they did do, and by the way, the smoke alarms failed to work in 304, but they were testing three alarms in each unit, and each time they tested an alarm, and ear piercing screech, far worse than the kind in your home, went off inside the condo. Meaning that if they were testing the alarm in condo 513, it went off in 304 and in every other condo in the building.
I estimated we would have heard the ear-piercing alarm more than 300 times. I think we probably heard 150 of them
I'm not going to go into detail but obviously it was horrible and we had to leave the building just to avoid the alarming situation.
Obviously they're not going to be testing the alarms every week, but I just think it was wrong for the owner to rent that condo knowing that we wouldn't be able to enjoy its use each and every day.
The other thing that really bothered me about 304 was that the two bedrooms that face the parking lot had blinds but no curtains. The walkway is right next to those windows. I happen to be a reporter who covers crime, and I've covered some peeping tom cases, and peepers only need a crack or a broken blind to look in or videotape someone in a room. These blinds would have been easy for anyone, even if they were just walking by, to get a view of someone inside. There were inch gaps on each side of the blinds, so basically, I didn't spend any time in my bedroom at night with the light on. A simple solution would be to put some curtains up to cover the gap. The curtains also would have been nice to close at night to block out the light from the walkway outside. I woke up in the middle of the night several times and thought it was morning because the walkway lights were so bright. 304 is also right next to the elevators, but fortunately, the place wasn't filled so I was woken up only once by the dinging of the elevator and someone walking past my room. It would be impossible to sleep if there are lots of people coming and going at night.
I guess I sound like a complainer, but generally I liked the place and would probably go there again if the owners would put up some curtains in those bedrooms. That's a serious security issue as far as I'm concerned. I think I'd also ask, before renting any of the units, if there is any construction or maintenance scheduled for the week you're interested in renting. You might want to ask about construction at buildings next door, since we also listened to a lot of construction noises from the building next door.
Oh I forgot, 304 has a huge flat screen TV, so that was really enjoyable, especially to watch football games.

• Stayed September 2009
4 Thank b.v.
Thank you for our very complete review. It is unfortunate that you were staying the week the fire alarms were being tested. Unfortunately the owners do not always know when they are being tested. We are told an approximate date by the fire department, but dates do get switched.

This condo is managed by www.stayincocoabeach.com/
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I found the property through stayincocoabeach.com. The reservation process was relatively simple and the owner delivered a nice condo, as advertised.
There are many positive things to say about this property and only a few small disappointments which we quickly overlooked and had a wonderful vacation. On the negative side, the condo is actually in Cape Canaveral and about a mile from shops and restaurants. If you like a quiet location, this may be for you. I think our group would have enjoyed being closer to the pier and other Cocoa Beach activities. The beach was uncrowded and the view was great. Be aware that in high tide seaweed washes up on the shore, but you get use to it. The waves were fabulous. The beach toys & towels were much appreciated. Overall the condo is nicely decorated, and well cared for. Don't expect crisp white towels & linens though. The linens are slightly worn. We enjoyed the large TV at night. I LOVED the balcony and the sight and sound of the waves in the morning. Two of the beds were too soft and a bit uncomfortable. We slept well though because we were so tired at night. The pool and hot tub were very clean and refreshing. The kitchen and laundry were so convenient. Overall it was a lot like being a guest in someone's home. Overall, I think it was a good value and we had a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank candi-lee
This condo is managed by www.stayincocoabeach.com/
Toronto
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We rented two units with the same owner so that our family could be close to each other for our vacation. We stayed in 304 while my parents stayed in 510. We absolutely loved the units. They both had a great views and had beach toys and chairs for us and the kids and the units just felt like home. We enjoyed working with the owner and hopefully we can come back next year!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Royal Mansions Resort
#7 of 7 in Cape Canaveral
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Canaveral
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral - Cocoa Beach

Been to Cape Winds Resort? Share your experiences!