“Perfect Holiday”

The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cape Coral
Reviewed 28 December 2012

My family and I stayed at the newly Branded Westin the weekend before Christmas and had an absolutely wonderful time. As a frequent Starwood Hotel guest, we had high expectation and the staff, rooms and service exceeded every one of them. Although the location is fabulous it isn't everything. What truly matters is that the guests are made to feel like they are welcome. Vivienne at the Front Desk and Amanda in HouseKeeping certainly did this. I wish I could remember everyone's name that helped us.

My family and I will not likely remember the material gifts we exchanged this holiday but we will rmember the hotel and staff where we stayed.

Many Thanks! ACT

Room Tip: High floors overlooking the Marina.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Westin took over this resort a few days ago.It was not full but with increasing occupancy, the pools may not be enough. They will likely have organised pool activities like basketball, exercise etc. Restaurant, while ideally situated at waterside, served average food. Parking is ample and free as is the in-room wifi.TV channnels are limited. Very good gym. NO BEACH. but rivers are excellent for kayaking> Expect this place to get better as Westin creates changes.Excellent staff, very friendly.

Room Tip: We had suite 1613, on 16th floor with gorgeous views> A bit closer to elevators would have been b...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank fahmed
Reviewed 22 December 2012 via mobile

These are simply the best accommodations in the entire area, far surpassing the Sanibel Harbor Resort. The rooms are sumptuous. The views are amazing. The amenities are good. The water taxi to the beach is the best way to get to the beach. It's how the locals do it: no traffic, beautiful scenery and usually dolphins leaping in your wake.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Missmarymacc
Reviewed 21 December 2012 via mobile

Westin just put it name on this hotel and they got a good one. Over looking a bay, great view of sunrise or sunset. First day we saw a manatee in the bay right outside our window. They did say that was rare. Staff was geat and very helpfull.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank MichGolfer
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Clean rooms, friendly staff. One thing I can tell you is the hotel is upgrading beds. I know because they were dragging them up to the 14th floor where I was. It was a bit noisy during the day, but wasn't annoying. So the good news is, if you're staying here, you can "rest" assured you'll have a nice new bed!

Ate outside. Food was fine, but a bit pricey for me (I'm cheap).

You can't beat the view here of the marina. And if you're staying on a higher floor, it's very impressive.

Room Tip: If you want a great view, the 14th floor suites are excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank CoreyMorrison
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We booked our one-bedroom unit before the Westin takeover & arrived on the 3rd day of Westin. Our check-in process was a little slow because of the changeover in computer systems. The staff was friendly and apologetic. It seems like if you don't use a bellhop, you're lugging your stuff without the use of a cart - so we used a bellhop. The room far exceeded our expectations - very clean, very spacious, very soundproof. The kitchen was fabulous! Granite countertops, full size stainless steel appliances - more luxury than home! The bed was extremely comfortable, but the pillows not so much (very, very wimpy/soft). The decor was beautiful & the grounds are very well maintained. The television gets about 20 channels, extremely poor viewing options (Here is an area of opportunity, Westin!). We were surprised at the limited channel options and the seemingly less than basic service. Free Wi-Fi in the room, however the morning of our second day, we were unable to log-on and had no phone service (apparently the internet & phone are provided by the same carrier) for approximately 2 hours. We, too, noticed there were no menus or any information on the area in the room. We ate at the Nauti-Mermaid (bar area restaurant), and I felt the service was quite slow and our burgers & fries were cold. Overall, the stay was quite nice, the staff was friendly (especially the bellhops & valets); very glad I booked before the change to Westin because I checked rates today for a future visit and realized our stay was about half that of the new Westin rates.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I booked this place because of the fantastic service and comfort from my last trip only 4 weeks ago in mid December. Unfortunately, I arrived this time on December 13, the first day of the Westin takeover and it has been one Fawlty Towers episode after another from the lengthy check-in filled with countless apologies. It was 7:30 pm and at one point they were asking me to email them my confirmation to an address that didn't work. So management decided to upgrade me to a one bedroom suite which on first glance I thought would be spectacular.

Fawlty Towers #2 - Room preparation
The suite has no desk, no glasses in the bathroom, no room service menu or book with guest services, lights are dark, no paper in the morning, a broken alarm clock, buttons for service on phones don't work, no slippers with robes for a beautiful new bathroom with slick and slippery tiles.

WORST: no one cleaned the room.

Fawlty Towers #3 - Communication
I tried to order room service and after 3 calls someone sent up a xerox copy of their new Westin superfoods menu. When I ordered market fresh fruit instead of the listed bowl of berries, I received the berries and was told that was the market fresh fruit. I protested I can't eat seeded fruit. This Florida. Surely you have a banana, orange or a melon. 10 minutes later I received a call " Is this Susan? (My instant thought was something horrible has happened) the next sentence was "all our fruit has seeds."

Where's the good news?
This is a fabulous place, or was. It really needs a shake down cruise to get it right.
Shame on you, Westin. You didn't fail to get your name on everything including the shower heads, but you missed the boat on what a truly fine serviced resort is all about: a stress-free home away from home. I am glad you kept the staff . They are wonderful, especially in the bar area. I met wonderful locals and the bar food along with bartenders made me feel comfortable. And, I rarely go to a bar by myself. The chef is working up some interesting things....best of all the sushi.

My recommendation.
Give it some time for them to get it right. But don't pay top dollar to stay here now. Offer to stay for free to help them get it right. These are tough times for the hospitality industry and big brands can't get away with this many goof ups in one location...especially with someone who travels a lot for business and pleasure all over the world.

Come on, Westin, you can do better than this. You've got a great staff of people here. Show some support.

Room Tip: Wait till they get through the transition before booking.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
#4 of 6 in Cape Coral
Sanibel Island Beach Resort
Sanibel Island Beach Resort
#16 of 20 in Sanibel Island

Been to The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village? Share your experiences!