“Tropical Wonder”

The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cape Coral
“Tropical Wonder”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

I have always had a great stay at Westins and Cape Coral did NOT disappoint once again. We had a 2 bed, 2 bath with kitchen and truly felt like a condo I would purchase. Nice selection of finishes and furnishings decorated the space. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Thanks Westin!

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Nancy2433
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Nancy2433,

It sounds as though you really enjoyed yourself at our resort. Thank you for being a continued guest of Starwood Hotels. I am happy you enjoyed your suite and our staff was friendly and helpful during your stay. I look forward to have you as a guest again in the near future!

Be well, Eric Ashton General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (455)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

First the good:
- killer views from your balcony onto the mangroves, stayed in a spacious 2BR/2 bath unit with big balcony on 13 th floor.
- Nicely decorated unit, very spacious, dryer/washer etc, full kitchen, big bathroom - more a typical FL apartment style than the usual Westin character ( Westin acquired the property 15 mths ago)
- tastefully decorated lobby, state-of-the-art gym

Con:
- room access from outdoor floors ( motel style)
- dirty, very superficial cleaning - restricted to doing beds/ towel service. Our feet were constantly black even after a shower. One day, my husband stayed in the room and noticed the cleaner spending about 10 min only
- pool and bars and restaurants right at the bottom of the hotel with ppl chatting until late at night, kids screaming in the pool and music playing until 11 pm
- really out of the way in a residential area in the middle of nowhere... About 1-1.5hr realistic drive to fort Myers beach, Sanibel or any other beach close by due to traffic
- wifi and cell coverage nightmare ..during our 3 days stay I never managed to access the Internet on my computer, or iPad and ver limited in iPhone ( poor cell coverage with constant dropped calls)

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Travel2Adventure
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Travel2Adventure,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your spacious suite and the gorgeous views from the in-room balcony. Thank you for also mentioning areas where we can improve our future service and offerings as this information is a great means for us to understand our guest needs. I would like to note that the music playing near the pool and The Nauti Mermaid Restaurant does end by or before 10pm to ensure we are not disrupting any of our guests. I am terribly sorry if this was a distraction during your stay. During certain times of the year, getting to some of our local beaches can be a bit longer of a drive than one might expect. However, to make visiting our beach easier and more fun, we offer our guests a complimentary water taxi to Fort Myers Beach so you can relax and enjoy the true Southwest Florida vacation by boat! A great place to also experience some of our areas great wildlife. Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you have another opportunity to stay with us in the future.

Rochester Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Found this place as it was highly rated on TA. .. and we were not disappointed the rooms are typical Westin fare.

My wife and I wanted to visit the Fort Myers/Sanibel area for first time and as we are SPG members (Platinum) and this place was highly rated on TA we figured we would stay here and we werent disappointed.

The hotel is a nice quiet section of Cape Coral, with wonderful water views.. . . .you definitely need a car and GPS to find.. . or your GPS on your phone at least as it is in complex not off the highway (which can be nice thing if you want to get away from it all but still be close to things)

The staff was amazing and helpful (the valet was so friendly especially as we came so late as we drove in from FLL) and Susan Waren the Concierge was so helpful with her tips on different activities we could do and places to eat. . ..Thanks!

The grounds are beautiful, and the hotel offers many amenities that are paid for by the hotel's resort fee ($15.00/day) which covers things like wifi, newspapers, and water taxi to Ft Myers Beach, bike rentals, etc.

Would stay here again as found it quiet and scenic. .. .there are also many activities which we unfortunately didnt use (wanted to do the water taxi to Ft Myers beach) so def would do these things on our next visit!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RonanJordi
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear ledezmacjl,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and it is a pleasure to hear you say we are a “nice little gem”. We couldn’t agree more! Thank you for also mentioning some of our associates who stood out during your stay. I will be sure to share your compliments with them. I look forward to welcoming you back again to experience all of the wonderful amenities our resort has to offer. See you soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We recently returned for our 4th visit, and first since the Westin took ownership. Not much has changed, and the property is still a great locations, and rooms still complete with all the amenities that you would expect for a 2 bedroom suite.

My only complaint would be that the housekeeping seems to be incomplete and inconsistent. The first day they. Didn't arrive until 5pm. Other days they didn't replace towels, or give more coffee, or left no coffee filters or paper towels. Sometimes they left the patio door open, and other times left the dishwasher or counter with dirty dishes. They even threw out our reusable Starbucks mugs??

Attention to detail was always why we came back year after year. A simple checklist by the cleaning staff could avoid all these miscues.

Also their beach towel policy is kind of odd. It's weird to have to give your wet towels to the concierge when you are done. They have better things to do.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank RedRyder98
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear RedRyder98,

First and foremost, thank you for your continued loyalty for staying at our resort year after year. Our resort did change ownership in December 2012 and has made many wonderful changes and improvements to the property. I am thrilled to hear how much you love our location for you to come back time and time again. It is wonderful to read our suites had all the right amenities to accommodate your travel needs too. Thank you for also informing us of areas in which we could improve on. I have shared your comments with the housekeeping team and am very sorry for any missed opportunities during your stay. I appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this essential feedback for us to improve our future offerings.

I do hope that you will allow us another opportunity to show you the true heavenly Westin experience.

Thank you again and be well.

Eric Ashton General Manager
Ringwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived without a reservation, took receptionist 15 minutes communicating with her computer and basically ignoring us, to offer a room. Pools in recreation area pleasant and quiet, main hotel pool not so good. Bedroom large and very comfortable. Bar, breakfast and restaurant staff very pleasant, food only average. Happy to move on after two days.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulM47
Dear PaulM47,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed our spacious suites and dining outlets. Thank you for sharing additional comments about your stay in areas that we can improve on. We hope that you will join us again sometime in the near future.

Be Well,
Eric Ashton
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This time we booked our entire trip--plane, rental car, hotel--through SW vacations. I am not sure if people who do that are treated differently at the Westin then people who book on their own. But we felt as though we were the relatives who show up now and again and no one really wants to see. We checked in, the woman at the desk was not at all friendly. I asked if breakfast was included (we usually stay at Marriott hotels and it seems to always be) and she said, "you find something that says that and then come back here". Ouch! I simply asked... Her next statement was, "I hope you do not mind heights" and handed us our room key for the 13th floor.

When we got to the room, I read the literature about going green and if you did not require housekeeping each day to put this sign on the door, etc. I did it as we spend so little time in a hotel room that every 2-3 days is fine with us. We had to be somewhere so put everything in the room and took off. When we got back late that night I looked around and was shocked. The rug in the room was disgusting. There were nasty stains on the carpet from the slider to the closet. Dark and very noticeable....a few days later I noticed the comforter on the bed closest to the slider was covered with pick marks (perhaps from a cat or dog's claws) from the bottom to about 2' feet up which made me wonder exactly what those stains were. The bathroom floor was dusty and there were hairs in the shower and sink--not a lot but there should not have been any.

So two days after we got there, I removed the sign from the door so housekeeping could come and do their thing. We checked in on a Monday, so removed the sign on Thursday. No one cleaned. Friday came and went and no one cleaned. On Saturday, I went to the front desk and asked if we could get our room done and was told that no, we were not on the schedule - I asked when we might be on the schedule. She said well you are on the green program and I explained that yes we were but that no one had come near us since we had checked in. SO, she said fine, someone will come in. They did at some point. That was Saturday. I never put the "green" sign back on the door and no one came near us the rest of our trip. We checked out on Thursday.

The only people who were friendly in the hotel were the bartenders and wait staff in the bar and at the pool. When we checked out, the girl at the desk handed me my receipt and that was it, no "I hope you enjoyed your stay". No, "come back and see us again" Nothing.

OH, and for every night you decline housekeeping, you are supposed to get 500 points on your SPG card--I am still waiting because it appears to me we are owed 4000 points!

In addition to all of the above, this location is not great--the views are spectacular, no complaints, but it is not near to anything, so you absolutely need a rental car. We put over 800 miles on ours just going everywhere we needed or wanted to go. The only things within walking distance were the usual resort overpriced shops and a Pincher's restaurant which was nothing special.

Two years ago we stayed in a Holiday Inn in Oceanside, CA that could and did run circles around the staff at the Westin. We were treated like honored guests which is the way it should always be.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank mamacyn
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear JFS43,
I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at the resort. While I am thankful a few of our associates made you feel welcome at our resort, I am disappointed that you had several unsatisfactory interactions during your stay.

I have taken your feedback to Housekeeping in regards to the cleanliness of the room. Please also note that SPG points for opting into the make a Green Choice Program can sometimes take 3-4 days after departure to reflect in your account. If it has been past that timeframe, please feel free to reach out to Stefanie.Eakin@Westin.com for assistance in this matter.

I am terribly regretful that we did not leave a memorable experience during your visit with us. I most certainly want you and your guests to feel like you are welcome and at home at our resort and am sincerely sorry we did not deliver our highest level of service. Please understand we are extremely grateful for your feedback as it allows for us to review and enhance our offerings in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Really enjoyed this resort. We wanted a condo with washer and dryer, but all were taken for spring break because I planned late. This resort has condo living with hotel amenities and service. We were very pleased with our stay here. My family and I had 2 separate room reservations. Remi, the manager, was able to put us in a 3-bedroom suite for the price of our 2 rooms. The 3-bedroom suite was out of this world. It was truly amazing. It was so big, each room had a bathroom and the kitchen was very large. The suite has a washer and dryer. We were on the 17th floor so the view was amazing. Our room was so nice, we entertained in it with friends in the area. I felt like I was at home. The hotel staff was very accommodating too. Our trip was wonderful. They have activities for kids and it's a very family-friendly resort. I would definitely stay here again. Nice job Westin Staff!!

Room Tip: If you are doing an extended stay, call to negotiate a rate on a suite.