“Not sure this is worth the price”

The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cape Coral
Brooklyn, New York
“Not sure this is worth the price”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This was a very nicely decorated resort. It was calming, modern, stylish, overall just very pleasing to the eye. This, however, was a very expensive resort and I am not sure it was worth the money. My husband and I had just traveled for four hours after working all day at our jobs and all we wanted was to go to sleep. At 2:37 AM the smoke alarm batteries died and it started beeping. While, I understand this is not their fault, when I told them they said, "oh sorry, we'll send someone up." They didn't offer us anything for the inconvenience of being awoken at 2:37 AM. While we was there, the hotel was fairly empty, deserted even, yet the resort put us in a room directly next to the elevator so loud people woke us up constantly. Not sure I understood the logic there. I had the pleasure of being kept awake for an additional hour after the smoke alarm went off because loud drunk people were coming off the elevator. The view from our room was spectacular, but, I would have preferred not listening to drunk people ramble off and on of the elevator all night long. The third obnoxious thing that happened while we were there, was when my husband tried to iron his white button down for the funeral we were attending that day and the iron spit rusty water onto his shirt, ruining it. Again, nothing was offered for our trouble (they offered to have it dry cleaned but we were leaving the next day and wouldn't have been able to get it back in time).
This hotel is also not very centrally located. It is a bit of a drive from the main area of Cape Coral.
Now I know these are all random things that happened but it soured my experience, mostly because of the way the hotel handled the issues. I really don't think this hotel is worth the price. This was a very pricey hotel, especially for the area. My family and I wanted to stay somewhere nice because of the circumstances we were traveling under but I don't really see why this hotel was as pricey as it was. Next time I will save $60 a day and stay at the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jvalliant
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Jvalliant,

Thank you for your review of our resort. One of the great features of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve on for the future. I am very sorry to hear the batteries died in the fire alarm as well as the disruption in the hallways kept you from having a restful night’s sleep. Thank you again for your comments. I hope you will give us the opportunity to be of service to you in the near future and provide you with the great hotel experience that our guests have grown so fond of.

Eric Ashton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (477)
  • Polish first
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Rooms are very nice as is the decor in the entrance.

Laura on reception was not at all friendly.

Susan on concierge was very friendly and gave us great recommendations on restaurants.

Breakfast is only ordering from the menu, no buffet. We were not impressed at all with breakfast, would much prefer a buffet style.

Pool was full of noisy bad mannered kids.

You have to pay the resort fees but you do not get much for that. Use of bikes is free, but we did not find a great deal of places to cycle too even though we enjoy biking. You get free use of tennis and there is a free boat ride to a beach. In my view they should just have it in the room rate rather than showing a lower room rate and having this compulsory add on.

Our view was nice place but with not much to do.

Dear AandM5864,

I am delighted to hear you found our rooms and views from the resort to be very nice. Thank you for providing us with great suggestions regarding the resort fee and breakfast buffet as we will certainly review these items when making future improvements. We always want to ensure our guests are having a fulfilling experience during their time at our resort and providing us with this information is very beneficial. To clarify on the resort fee, it does include many amenities such as High Speed Internet Access in Guest Rooms, Wi-Fi in Lobby, Daily Newspaper, Local and Toll-free Telephone Calls, 24-hour WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio, 24-hour Business Center, Water Taxi to Ft. Myers Beach, Tennis Courts, Horseshoe pits, bocce ball, Bike Rentals, Covered Self-Parking, and Access to two Laguna-styled pools and one Lap pool (plus pool towels). The two additional pools that you may have not experienced are located in the Social Pavilion. Thank you again for your sharing your stay with us. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Sunrise, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This trip was a girls getaway. I originally had a traditional room, but decided to upgrade to a 2 bedroom, as my bff & I have different sleep habits. We ended up getting the Mariner's Suite! OMG we both felt like queens. The staff was friendly and went out of their way to be of help.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank lynshaw
Dear Lynshaw,

Thank you sharing your experience with us about you recent girl’s getaway at our resort. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed our Mariner Suite and our Westin associates were able to assist you. We hope you get to join us again in the future.

Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

My family stayed at the Westin Cape Coral in February of this year. My husband is a platinum member and we were upgraded to this massive suite. Larger than most homes I know. The grounds were great. Boat tours, shopping. Pinchers. It was a lovely stay. The kids loved the pool and the service was fantastic. Live music at night.
It's off the beaten path a bit. You have to travel to get there. If you are ok with being out of the action you will love it.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Jennifer B
SE_CapeCoral, General Manager at The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Jennifer B,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It sounds as though you and your family really enjoyed yourselves. Thank you for also being a loyal member of our Starwood Hotels & Resorts. I am thrilled to learn you enjoyed our spacious suites, three pools, live music at our on-site restaurant The Nauti Mermaid, shopping on the Promenade, and endless boating activities available at Tarpon Point Marina. Thank you again for you feedback. I truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our resort in the near future.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We go down to the Ft. Myers area every year. This was our first time staying in Cape Coral, but we got a good deal on the hotel so we figured we'd give it a shot. Let's start with customer service: They let us check in early which was great and though the room wasn't ready when we got there, not only did they upgrade us but the room was ready with in 30 mins. That started the vacation off right! We called and needed some amenities brought to the room and they brought them right away and then the manager called to make sure we got them. The service at the pool was really good. Never had to wait longer than 5 mins on a drink and the prices were reasonable at about 7$ for a mixed drink and 4$ for a beer. The food service at the restaurants was also good.
The rooms: We were upgraded to a 1 bedroom deluxe. I recommend this room for families especially as it came with a full kitchen. It was only my husband and I and we took full advantage of buying our own alcohol and storing it to take to the beach and pool. The room and bath were huge with a large balcony and what a view!! I personally didn't think the bed and pillows were comfy at all, but everyone is different and the hotel shouldn't be docked for it.
Amenities: They have 3 pools. The main pool offers food and beverage service so you are not allowed to take your own. There are lots of children here. But if you go to one of the other pools (just a couple mins walk) you can take your own stuff and it is much more quiet. Not as great of a view, but that's really the only downside. They have a 9:30am shuttle that will take you to Ft Myers beach and bring you back around 3pm. I think that's a huge plus b/c it's a free boat ride and your own DD.
It didn't take more than 30 mins for us to get anywhere we wanted to go from the hotel. I would stay here again and recommend this place to everyone.

Room Tip: A 1 bedroom deluxe will get you a huge room, great view and a full kitchen
1 Thank RomaTraveled
Dear RomaTraveled,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. It is wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your time with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your room upgrade and thoughtful extras. Thank you for also mentioning our customer service as well as giving TripAdvisor readers some helpful tips. We hope to see you again soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay. We stayed at the Westin because of both our Starwood points and location...in addition some family members were staying also.

Positives: Accommodations, large, well pointed and clean. Check-in was quick and efficient Annemarie was amazing! We enjoyed our time at the Restuarant and Bar Calire was Amazing!

Negatives: Small pool, people holding chairs

Thanks again for a fantastic stay.....looking forward to a possible return in the future

Room Tip: Ask for high floor and quiet
Dear Harold H,

It is wonderful to read that you and your wife enjoyed the recent holiday with us. I am honored to hear how much you enjoyed our resort and especially our well-appointed and clean rooms. Thank you for also mentioning some of our staff members that stood out during your stay with us. I will be sure to share your compliments with them. Next time you visit, be sure to check out our two additional pools located at the Social Pavilion. We hope to see you at the Westin Cape Coral again soon and thank you for being a continued guest of Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

Toms River
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel and had a 1 BR suite on the 12th Floor. We loved the hotel, rooms and the grounds were gorgeous!!! AnaMarie at check in was GREAT! I extended my stay because I had such a good time. Negatives..Housekeeping. Tiles in room and rugs were not up to par. Kid who carried my bag up on a Saturday night was supposed to check on something for us and bring it up. He took his tip, walked away. after waiting an hour we called and took care of it ourself and told him outside that we took care of it. He was just standing there doing nothing. We had a wonderful time exploring the BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS. The pool was really nice and relaxing to swim in, the kitchen area was great for making breakfast in the morning. This hotel will be at the top of our list next winter when we plan another vacation. Cant Wait to return!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear WhalerTomsRiver,

Thank you for your review of our resort. I’m happy to learn you enjoyed our grounds and our spacious kitchens. It is wonderful to hear breakfast each morning in your suite was a sure treat with all the necessary utensils for cooking a delightful meal. Thank you for also informing us about the areas that need additional attention. Your comments have been shared with the department managers. Thank you again. We cannot wait to welcome you back again in the winter. See you soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Coral
#17 of 19 in Sanibel Island
Dolphin Key Resort
Dolphin Key Resort
#4 of 6 in Cape Coral

Been to The Westin Cape Coral Resort At Marina Village? Share your experiences!